Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
211
Views

Re: Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

211 Views
Message 21 of 39

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I like data myself. It calms “my” fears. Like flying on a plane is the safest way to travel. Data helps me. 

 

But I get what you are saying. I don’t know how to allay fears like that. I worry that people fear the country’s change to a majority of people of color stems from worrying minorities will eventually treat us the same way we’ve historically treated them.  The antitdote to that, IMO, is for everyone to recognize how critical it is we work to ensure constitutional rights for all. All ethnicities, all nationalities, all religions, all income levels. Make that goal the American goal. We will have much less to fear as we become the minority....


Well, we are gonna have to start figuring it out - to me, assimilation is the only way - that means assimilation by those who are here and those who come.  Kids knowing kids; mothers knowing mothers, laborers knowing laborers, community gatherings, cook outs, sports and activities - people doing the same things together

 

If we cannot get there - then I just don't know.

 

 

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
211
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
219
Views

Re: Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

219 Views
Message 22 of 39

@FredSmif wrote:

Very good points, Gail. I agree that dismively telling people that their views are wrong without further explanation is fruitless. 

I look forward to reading your post and the article even more closely than my first overview.


IMO, it is not only fruitless, it is dangerous - as I said in my initial post, I believe it is just this sort of thing that has created this populism around the world.  to tell a person, they are wrong in whatever beliefs they have, to tell them that their beliefs don't have any merit or that their beliefs are without merit because somebody else tells them so, to tell them that their beliefs are just disregard gives them a sense of being less than.

 

I found the (2017) New Zealand report enlightening - almost like a prediction especially because of current events.  The killer's manifesto not only mentioned Muslims but immigration too.

 

I do believe there is a way to mesh people of different origins/race/religions together in a more logical manner to create more overall harmony but it is not gonna happen overnite. 

 

My grandkids just moved to a new community (parents divorced).  They go to private school which is predominately white but does have some Indians, Asians, Hispanics, AA in their grades.  However where they moved, their 1st friends are a little boy same age as my grandson from Nigeria and (2) little girls around the same age as my granddaughter from Ethiopia.  When out of school, they are all constantly together doing something - what kids do - play. 

 

So an eased in exposure, finding things in common, creating bonds, learning about each other - those things may be easier when younger.

 

I have to always bring up Clarkston, Georgia.  My husband and I had our 1st home together there.

TODAY.com - 'One America': Small town welcomes thousands of refugees with Southern hospitality

Now, I wish certain other areas around me were more like that welcoming place and I am not talking about only white Americans.  In other areas too there is no blending - there are communities of various nationalities but they don't assimilate to the degree that help the blending.

 

Clarkston is the stop for new immigrants - there they get acclimated to life here.  This is where non-profits come together to help them get initially settled in.  They are given English classes, help finding jobs, citizenship classes. etc.  They have directions given on how to become Americans.  When the time is right - they move on with their lives.  But Alas, not all immigrants go through this type of help and support.  Some just come here and go to the place where others of their same culture might be and start from that point.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
219
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
236
Views

Re: Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

236 Views
Message 23 of 39

There seems to be a big push on language in this thread. There is a view that English has to be the only one as that is what all people who are citizens here speak, and that is the only acceptable one. Well if you live in the west there are quite a few Native Americans living here, and they were here before all others. They have their own language so there are many different languages spoken in the US beside English. Where I live Navajo is spoken along with about 4 other native American languages. We have Spanish spoken also. The Native American lands are sovereign lands in the US. They have their own laws, and governing bodies. The State Police in my State along with local police are cross sworn so they can operate on Native lands, and visa versa. There are no state courts on Native American lands, and State laws do not apply in most cases. State and County Taxes do not apply. They teach Navajo and Spanish in the schools, and you hear both spoken. English is the language that binds all the groups together and is spoken everywhere.

It would really be great if people would learn a subject before they want to make changes as sadly they really know little about the subject if they do not.

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
236
Views
Moderator
1
Kudos
244
Views

Re: Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

244 Views
Message 24 of 39

Hello EVERYONE,

this is a diverse community of people with diverse opinions. It is up to each of us to be polite and treat each other with respect.

You are free to express your opinions, but you must do so in a way that respects the opinions of others.

 

https://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

 

Thanks.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
244
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
218
Views

Re: Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

218 Views
Message 25 of 39


Actually I dont like being - "TOLD" - anything ...... I think most reasonable people feel the same - are you considered a Expert on the Subjects where you feel Qualified to Tell People when they share their actual lifes experiences that they dont know anything I am qualified and I have been telling people what to do all my life. LOL sot you are not an exception. as far as I am concerned.  lOL

 

That's exactly what took place here - I shared my own lifes experiences just like you did - I went on to explain how I interpreted those experiences and you basically said - You Dont Know Anything! My life I Suppose Should Be Considered A Total Failure Because My Conclusions Dont Match Your Own

 

I'm sorry you feel that way & I hope you get the help you need

  So now I am crazy  as whom BETO?  or more.  do I need to be intenred in the loony bin?  lOL  I think that you better simply accept the fact that we may be different and I have different concepts that you do. and be intelligent enough to let it be.

 


 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
218
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
215
Views

Re: Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

215 Views
Message 26 of 39

Please. American citizens, and I mean born in America, are still detained if they're caught speaking Spanish in public. These two women are filing suit because of it. And it escalated because a border patrol agent thought their accent while speaking English was "too heavy". No wonder we never see Melania Trump.

 

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/15/695184555/americans-who-were-detained-after-speaking-spanish-in-monta...

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
215
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
207
Views

Re: Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

207 Views
Message 27 of 39

@rker321 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

Sorry Mick  you are wrong in all counts. unfortunately by your post, I can see that you don't understand one word about immigration and the positive and negative factors that exist.
By posting platitutes, you in many ways are saying nothing.


Well I can see by your attitude you're probably very unhappy - immigration isn't to Blame for anything - How many Millions of Americans will be celebrating St. Patricks this Weekend - do you have any Idea why the Irish Celebrate St Patricks Day in the USA - it's not about Religion or Booze - it's about the Great American Opportunity Called - Immigration

 

 


I can see that your characterization of ME  is surprising for a person that has not idea of who I am but obviously you don't like to be told  that you are incorrect when you post about anything. But let me count the ways. 
I am a very happy individual why?

Have 4  very successful children, have grandchildren who are adults, never been in jail have gone to college and are not into drugs.

Have a very nice retirement life. lots of friends, who like me and respect my views.

Have traveled around the word several times. speak several languages. and probably know ab out a lot of things more than most.

Unhappy.? not even sick. so my health at this time is wonderful. and I take advantage of it. so, being unhappy. why? no reason that I can see.

Almost forgot, have a 40 year marruage  and a wonderful  old husband who has been very wise and kind towards me.  So, give me one reason as to why I should be unhappy


Actually I dont like being - "TOLD" - anything ...... I think most reasonable people feel the same - are you considered a Expert on the Subjects where you feel Qualified to Tell People when they share their actual lifes experiences that they dont know anything

 

That's exactly what took place here - I shared my own lifes experiences just like you did - I went on to explain how I interpreted those experiences and you basically said - You Dont Know Anything! My life I Suppose Should Be Considered A Total Failure Because My Conclusions Dont Match Your Own

 

I'm sorry you feel that way & I hope you get the help you need

 

 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
207
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
208
Views

Re: Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

208 Views
Message 28 of 39

@rker321 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Most immigrants learn English.  And they are learning it more rapidly than prior generations of immigrants.

 

https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/report-newer-generations-of-immigrants-learn-english-quickly-are-le...

 

 

But what exactly are American customs? Getting fat and unhealthy? Walking around with shoes on in the house? Not valuing higher education?  Driving gas guzzlers? 

 

Other than obeying the law, Which everyone must do,  it seems to me people can do as they like. American freedom and all that, right?


Obviously, you haven't bee to Miami lately, YOu would be surprise as what language is spoken there.  LOL 

Look, American freedoms have nothing to do with our laws, customs, and many other things. but I am simply responding as to the fears that many have regarding immigrants.


And just because people are speaking Spanish in public, that doesn’t mean they don’t know English. 

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
208
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
224
Views

Re: Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

224 Views
Message 29 of 39

@rker321 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Most immigrants learn English.  And they are learning it more rapidly than prior generations of immigrants.

 

https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/report-newer-generations-of-immigrants-learn-english-quickly-are-le...

 

 

But what exactly are American customs? Getting fat and unhealthy? Walking around with shoes on in the house? Not valuing higher education?  Driving gas guzzlers? 

 

Other than obeying the law, Which everyone must do,  it seems to me people can do as they like. American freedom and all that, right?


Obviously, you haven't bee to Miami lately, YOu would be surprise as what language is spoken there.  LOL 

Look, American freedoms have nothing to do with our laws, customs, and many other things. but I am simply responding as to the fears that many have regarding immigrants.


I don’t  understand that at all. We only have freedom because of the law.

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
224
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
230
Views

Re: Truth Is In The Eye of the Beholder

230 Views
Message 30 of 39

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Most immigrants learn English.  And they are learning it more rapidly than prior generations of immigrants.

 

https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/report-newer-generations-of-immigrants-learn-english-quickly-are-le...

 

 

But what exactly are American customs? Getting fat and unhealthy? Walking around with shoes on in the house? Not valuing higher education?  Driving gas guzzlers? 

 

Other than obeying the law, Which everyone must do,  it seems to me people can do as they like. American freedom and all that, right?


Obviously, you haven't bee to Miami lately, YOu would be surprise as what language is spoken there.  LOL 

Look, American freedoms have nothing to do with our laws, customs, and many other things. but I am simply responding as to the fears that many have regarding immigrants.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
230
Views