Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Trumps new budget proposal to reduce benefits to SS recipients

Message 1 of 12
I could say the same about you both, so I shall!!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 2 of 12

I must say Will  that I like the way you think!

Thanks for all you input

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 12

@GailL1 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

So "AARP calls on Congress to protect these critical programs that millions of Americans rely on for their health and financial security."

Why doesn't AARP "call on Trump to stop taking away these critical programs that millions of Americans rely on for their health and financial security"?

Why doesn't AARP inform its members WHO wants to do WHAT to them .... let its members (especially seniors) KNOW that voting for Trump and Republicans IS NOT IN THEIR BEST INTEREST!!!

Because some of them are in the best interest of seniors - it saves beneficiaries money in Medicare.  Who would want to pay less in Medicare Part B premiums?  Who wouldn't want to pay less in co-pays for certain services?  Who wouldn't want to pay less for their meds?

Now who felt President Obama's 716 Billion (over 10 years) reductions (cuts) in Medicare ?

Because some of them will help save the Social Security Trust Fund by helping some of those on SSDI get back to work if and when they are able.

Factcheck.org - 02/18/2020 - Competing Claims on Trump’s Budget and Seniors 

BEFORE any great uproar is upon this group, you need to understand that this is just a political ploy as happens EVERY election cycle or when a change in made in the budget of these programs.

The Atlantic 04/11/2013 - Reality Check: Obama Cuts Social Security and Medicare by Much More Than t... 

People need to understand that these are BUDGET items - and for as long as I can remember, Presidential Budget proposals go nowhere . . . . . REAL Budget item are hashed out by Congress and come out as compromises for appropriations.

The more important changes happen when those Congressional Budgets are passed by Congress like the “Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015"

Because then they go into law and that one did cut (a) Social Security benefit (loophole) - where was the outrage then??

Did you even notice??

Forbes 10/29/2015 - New Budget Deal Is Cutting Your Social Security Benefits And It's A Good Thing. 

Maybe AARP is wise enough to know where to actually fight and where to just grip a little and other times actually support changes (cuts) that can help seniors.

Sure ..... Just like "Mexico will pay for Trump's wall".

But IN REALITY, Americans are forking over BILLIONS to pay for Trump's asinine wall!

The REAL truth is that Trump's budget would cut Medicare by $850 billion, cut Medicaid by $920 billion and cut Social Security by $30 billion over the next decade.

To contrive this into some sort of savings to beneficiaries is beyond absurd!

And the cuts to Medicare to fund Obamacare was long ago de-bunked!

The snake oil you attempt to sell suggests that you believe that all people are as gullible as Trump supporters.

BTW .... AARP won't directly call out Trump and Republicans as the enemy of seniors because they wish to be politically neutral, so as to not effect their businesses. But in that endeavor, AARP does a great disservice to the people they pledged to protect!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 12

@myexper wrote:

So "AARP calls on Congress to protect these critical programs that millions of Americans rely on for their health and financial security."

Why doesn't AARP "call on Trump to stop taking away these critical programs that millions of Americans rely on for their health and financial security"?

Why doesn't AARP inform its members WHO wants to do WHAT to them .... let its members (especially seniors) KNOW that voting for Trump and Republicans IS NOT IN THEIR BEST INTEREST!!!

Because some of them are in the best interest of seniors - it saves beneficiaries money in Medicare.  Who would want to pay less in Medicare Part B premiums?  Who wouldn't want to pay less in co-pays for certain services?  Who wouldn't want to pay less for their meds?

Now who felt President Obama's 716 Billion (over 10 years) reductions (cuts) in Medicare ?

Because some of them will help save the Social Security Trust Fund by helping some of those on SSDI get back to work if and when they are able.

Factcheck.org - 02/18/2020 - Competing Claims on Trump’s Budget and Seniors 

BEFORE any great uproar is upon this group, you need to understand that this is just a political ploy as happens EVERY election cycle or when a change in made in the budget of these programs.

The Atlantic 04/11/2013 - Reality Check: Obama Cuts Social Security and Medicare by Much More Than t... 

People need to understand that these are BUDGET items - and for as long as I can remember, Presidential Budget proposals go nowhere . . . . . REAL Budget item are hashed out by Congress and come out as compromises for appropriations.

The more important changes happen when those Congressional Budgets are passed by Congress like the “Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015"

Because then they go into law and that one did cut (a) Social Security benefit (loophole) - where was the outrage then??

Did you even notice??

Forbes 10/29/2015 - New Budget Deal Is Cutting Your Social Security Benefits And It's A Good Thing. 

Maybe AARP is wise enough to know where to actually fight and where to just grip a little and other times actually support changes (cuts) that can help seniors.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 5 of 12

I am sorry to say that AARP requests to subscribe to newsletters and call their Congressman is not enough!!!!!!

By virtue of Trumps budget and GOP backing, they have clearly stated their position.  AARP NEEDS TO DO MORE.  This is many of us pay AARP membership fees. 

• From a previous post "I think that AARP has taken a stance on trump's cuts, but cannot tell you exactly where they reside...at least I hope that they have!"
George
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 12

You can also subscribe to the AARP newsletters for regular updates here.  Choices include AARP Advocate (Stay up to date on advocacy efforts for Social Security and Medicare. Learn how you can take action and make a difference!) and AARP Policy News (Sign up for our monthly newsletter and alerts on the latest research, events and videos on policy issues from the AARP’s Public Policy Institute.)

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 12

@MsStretch wrote:

@LowellR80374 wrote:

Even though Trump promised and continues to promise no reduction in SS for the fourth year in a row he has sent the White House budget to Congress to reduce benefits to SS recipients.  IS AARP taking a stand and are the going to lobby for non reduction in benefits?  I see no articles.

Go here:  AARP Press Room: Social Security

Also see this: AARP Statement on White House’s FY2021 Budget Proposal

We are however deeply concerned about proposed funding reductions to Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, nutrition assistance, caregiver support, housing assistance, and other assistance for older Americans. AARP calls on Congress to protect these critical programs that millions of Americans rely on for their health and financial security.

How nice .... but hardly enough!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 12

@LowellR80374 wrote:

Even though Trump promised and continues to promise no reduction in SS for the fourth year in a row he has sent the White House budget to Congress to reduce benefits to SS recipients.  IS AARP taking a stand and are the going to lobby for non reduction in benefits?  I see no articles.

Go here:  AARP Press Room: Social Security

Also see this: AARP Statement on White House’s FY2021 Budget Proposal

We are however deeply concerned about proposed funding reductions to Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, nutrition assistance, caregiver support, housing assistance, and other assistance for older Americans. AARP calls on Congress to protect these critical programs that millions of Americans rely on for their health and financial security.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 9 of 12

Hi Lowell

Thank you for speaking out!
Only another way Trump wants to insult the American public. He's an unscrupulous man and always has been. That anyone can still support him is beyond understanding. I believe our only recourse is to VOTE him out. Then he can be held libel for his crimes.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 12

How strange is it that a liar wants common sense people to believe him when he tells more lies. 
trump has become as transparent as your household window. His word is as good as the wet toilet paper that it is written on. 
I think that AARP has taken a stance on trump's cuts, but cannot tell you exactly where they reside...at least I hope that they have!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors