Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trumpocracy -- David Frum's New Book

Message 91 of 93

@john258 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

The world has ended because I agree with David Frum.   But if this past year has proven anything, it's that the Republican party does not care about American values.  They only care that they win. 

And I don't understand why true conservatives aren't fighting this from within.

"I’m horrified, but I’m not shocked. The Republican Party has a platform that can’t prevail in democratic competition. This is one of the big themes of this book, and why I think this situation is so dangerous. When highly committed parties strongly believe [in] things that they cannot achieve democratically, they don’t give up on their beliefs — they give up on democracy."

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/18/16880524/donald-trump-democracy-republicans-trumpocracy

In short what the book is telling us is that we are on the path Germany was on in the 1930, and if we do not end that path now Trump will be our Hitler. This is a Reb. who wrote the book so you see as I have put it all thinking people are  starting to see that now. Wake up people.

Ah yes, the "Nazi" meme. When all logic fails drag out it or KKK or fascist, or racist, or alt-right.

There are to realities that must be accepted - President Trump is not a career pol such as we are used to therefore things are going to be quite different.

As to American values, you also have to accept that he has stopped the "long march" of the neoMarxists. I understand that to some, Marxism does represent the ideal - it just isn't our traditional governmental form.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trumpocracy -- David Frum's New Book

Message 92 of 93

@NerdyMom wrote:

The world has ended because I agree with David Frum.   But if this past year has proven anything, it's that the Republican party does not care about American values.  They only care that they win. 

"I’m horrified, but I’m not shocked. The Republican Party has a platform that can’t prevail in democratic competition. This is one of the big themes of this book, and why I think this situation is so dangerous. When highly committed parties strongly believe [in] things that they cannot achieve democratically, they don’t give up on their beliefs — they give up on democracy."

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/18/16880524/donald-trump-democracy-republicans-trumpocracy

In short what the book is telling us is that we are on the path Germany was on in the 1930, and if we do not end that path now Trump will be our Hitler. This is a Reb. who wrote the book so you see as I have put it all thinking people are  starting to see that now. Wake up people.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Trumpocracy -- David Frum's New Book

Message 93 of 93

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors