Having a Flexible Work Schedule Can Make You Feel (re)markable. Find a Part-Time Job on AARP’s Job Board.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Trump wants Russia Reinstated in G-7 talks

Message 1 of 137

@gruffstuff wrote:

There are many other issues confronting the world and places to deal with them - this is the economy, period.

Unless we're talking about Iran,  NAFTA,  the TPP, or the US importing subsidised dairy products into Canada.

Then that different.

What has that to do with Russia in the G-7? Individual nations do their thing. The G-7 is a place for the discussion of the world wide economy. Russia is certainly a factor.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 137

There are many other issues confronting the world and places to deal with them - this is the economy, period.

Unless we're talking about Iran,  NAFTA,  the TPP, or the US importing subsidised dairy products into Canada.

Then that different.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 137

@rk9152 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

Well this time I will make an exception. So lets see your wisdom.

Nope - either you are going to play that silly game or you aren't.

You say you have no wisdom. Cool

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 137

@MaVolta wrote:

Did it ever occur to you (or to Pres Trump, or Trump supporters) that what is in our best interest is often what is in the best interest of our allies?  Let me know how it's working when we end up isolated from our friends and allies, and they decide to make agreements without us.

I don't think our allies have been abandoned. You're right we need them and they need us. This is just a matter of resetting the ground rules. As an example - NATIO, members are now expected to carry their fair share of the load. This is not 1949, other economies have been fully recovered for a long, long time.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 137

@john258 wrote:

Nope - either you are going to play that silly game or you aren't.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 137

@rker321 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

The G (whatever) is an international body intended to deal with the international economy. Throwing political issues into their discussions is a roadway to failure. Not to discount political issues. It's just not appropriate at the G (whatever).

Out of  self preservation. you should be Leary of admitting Russia into the G7. remember. Russia  supports Assad. Assad, doesn't support Israel. Don't tell me that you want the pogroms to commence again. do you?

The agreements made by the G (whatever) have to do with commercial issues, not pogroms.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 137

@rk9152 wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

@rk9152 wrote: 

As to international affairs, yes we want to work with other countries but we want our representative to never put American interests behind those of another nation or the planet as a whole. Obama saw his responsibility to be to the world. He was not an evil man but that is not what we want in an American President.

The American president, whoever he/she may be, holds the most powerful office on the planet. While their primary responsibility is the good of the country and upholding the Constitution, they do have a certain responsibility for policies that have worldwide implications. It's a complicated place, after all.

It's unfair to say that Obama didn't put his country first. He did. While one might argue some decisions and not agree with them is one thing, but that doesn't mean he didn't hold true to putting country first. 

Example - of the G7 countries, Germany, France and UK have relied on oil from Russia. They were hesitant to go along with sanctions on Russia, and had concerns over their own national securities. Obama had to walk a fine line of diplomacy to get them on board. Part of that played into the Iran nuclear treaty whereby Iran stopped it's nuclear program in exchange for shipping oil to European countries. This better positioned the G7 countries to go along with additional sanctions on Russia. And it's not my analysis, it was discussed at the time by top analysts in various media outlets.

That Obama took a multilateral approach to resolving problems doesn't mean that he wasn't putting his country first. Quite the opposite. On the other hand, Trump, and those who agree with him, are opposed to multilateral deals and negotiations. You cannot always get the best outcome without considering the impact those decisions have on other countries and their economic and security concerns. 

I disagree - Obama saw our role as being to fix the problems of the world at the expense of our nation. That may be thought of as a moral position but I do not see it as an appropriate position for the President of the US.

Yes, we had the Marshall Plan designed to rebuild the economies destroyed by WWII. That was a wise decision since at the time there was an ongoing competition between us and the USSR and they benefited from bad economies ("rise workers" and all that jazz). However, that was then and this is now.

I think we can agree that we disagree on most things. However, I do agree with you on the Marshall Plan. It was a good idea and it worked. Japan, Germany, France, the UK, and Italy are among the world's top 10 economies led by US and China. (Russia is ranked at 11 or 12 depending on whose list you use). 

Did it ever occur to you (or to Pres Trump, or Trump supporters) that what is in our best interest is often what is in the best interest of our allies?  Let me know how it's working when we end up isolated from our friends and allies, and they decide to make agreements without us.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 137

@rk9152 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

No the S.U. did not benefit from bad economies as theirs was as bad as every other country except the US. The US leaders saw the need to end Wars and to do this they knew all countries needed to have a good economies, and the only country that could lead that was the US. That is why we became a world leader by helping others and creating things like the UN, G-7, World Bank, World Trade Org., etc. That has worked for over 70 years, and yes there was problems and their always will be. Most of the problems were, and are created by the Far right of the world. Now we see Trump ending all of that. Trump is the leader of the far right in the US. The far right does nothing but destroy things, people and everything it touches. Sadly we have the enablers who understand none of this and help Trump become dictator of the US. Trump now says Canada is a security threat to the US and his enablers say nothing. They are as bad as the German enablers in the 1930 that gave us WW2

As always you are totally wrong. I could easily adjust the errors in your thinking but, sadly, you tell me over and over again that I am not allowed to post to you - so, unfortunately you are going to have to live without the benefit of my wisdom.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 137

@rk9152 wrote:

The G (whatever) is an international body intended to deal with the international economy. Throwing political issues into their discussions is a roadway to failure. Not to discount political issues. It's just not appropriate at the G (whatever).

Out of  self preservation. you should be Leary of admitting Russia into the G7. remember. Russia  supports Assad. Assad, doesn't support Israel. Don't tell me that you want the pogroms to commence again. do you?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 137

@john258 wrote:

No the S.U. did not benefit from bad economies as theirs was as bad as every other country except the US. The US leaders saw the need to end Wars and to do this they knew all countries needed to have a good economies, and the only country that could lead that was the US. That is why we became a world leader by helping others and creating things like the UN, G-7, World Bank, World Trade Org., etc. That has worked for over 70 years, and yes there was problems and their always will be. Most of the problems were, and are created by the Far right of the world. Now we see Trump ending all of that. Trump is the leader of the far right in the US. The far right does nothing but destroy things, people and everything it touches. Sadly we have the enablers who understand none of this and help Trump become dictator of the US. Trump now says Canada is a security threat to the US and his enablers say nothing. They are as bad as the German enablers in the 1930 that gave us WW2

As always you are totally wrong. I could easily adjust the errors in your thinking but, sadly, you tell me over and over again that I am not allowed to post to you - so, unfortunately you are going to have to live without the benefit of my wisdom.