Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump to Sign Executive Order to Stop Separating Families

Message 41 of 80

@Tom5678 wrote:
you guys are hung up on phones today! How about all those "freebies" your President gives to Russia? But with collusion, goes with the territory. Like constantly proclaiming how good they are, and they must be placed back in the G-7 and on and on. He praises Putin and Un more than our allies!!

G-7, Russia, Putin - ???????

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 80

@rk9152 wrote:

They entered from Mexico, Mexico granted them transit, Mexico can reverse transit them.

Just as a change of pace, maybe the Republican controlled Congress could forge a bi partisan bill to address the immigration problems instead of just giving Trump more money for prisons? 

Oh right. I forgot which party I was talking about. The GOP party which cannot govern. Nevermind. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 80

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Just to point out that Trump has been trying to blame the Democrats for the mess he created with this executive order. He stated he was unable to fix it (the same way he created it). So, what we have is another case of Trump lying in public. 

It's not fixed - the can has been kicked down the road. He was right, he could not fix it.

Very seldom can an incompetent person fix the problems they create. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 80

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@angeleyes64 wrote:

It's about time

Now what, he'll arrest the entire family and where will he set them up? 

Back in Mexico where they belong. Bus trip back won't cost taxpayers $35,000 each year either!

Will still have zero tolerance, but he knows the Democrats wants an open boarder. He always has to add what bad things the Dem. say or want or do to blame them.

Dems need open borders to build their party up!

Can’t put them in Mexico because most aren’t Mexican.  These folks are coming from Central America.

They entered from Mexico, Mexico granted them transit, Mexico can reverse transit them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 80

@Richva wrote:

Just to point out that Trump has been trying to blame the Democrats for the mess he created with this executive order. He stated he was unable to fix it (the same way he created it). So, what we have is another case of Trump lying in public. 

It's not fixed - the can has been kicked down the road. He was right, he could not fix it.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 80

How many more horrible things will this man do, to convince many that he is the most incompetent President that this country has ever had.

Morals, when in the world  has he ever exhibited morals. ? Why anyone expected that this man could govern with the appropriate manner and knowledge. But, I don't blame him completely.

The blame falls to all of those men and women in Congress and in the Senate and in the White HOuse that have had not the courage or morality to stop any of this. What is now going to happen to those thousand of children that may loose their parents forever?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 80

No law, and certainly not the Constitution, requires an innocent child be forcibly taken from its Mother's or Father's arms and then kept in confinement and subjected to emotional and mental torment simply because that Mother or Father crossed a borderline between two countries. That is called child abuse. It is a crime. And Donald Trump has had the right and the power to change this abhorrent tactic in an instant. All he needed was a conscience and a pen. Any thinking, caring (and law-abiding) human being could have come up with a better way, a sensible and humane way, to handle this situation. This policy---and zero-tolerance is policy---was conceived of and put into motion by a man beset with many, many demons. And he has now damaged the spirits and the minds of thousands of innocent children.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 80

@CS402050 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

No. The law does not require zero tolerance. As I stated elsewhere, the Attorney General has broad prosecutorial discretion whether to charge someone or not.  And what to charge then with. That’s why people can plea bargain. For example. the prosecutor can drop the murder charge in exchange for the lesser included offense of manslaughter, if the defendant testifies against his accomplice.   Other prosecutors decide not to press certain charges, or they drop others, because they are balancing the use of state resources vs. the severity of the crime.

Sessions was never required to go zero tolerance. Of course, he certainly has the authority to do so. 

WRONG.  What you're saying is that people have the right to decide what laws should be enforced.  First, I understand that it happens but that doesn't make it right.  There are cases where prosecutors decide not to prosecute due to lack of evidence.  That's because they cannot prove the case.  There are probably cases in which prosecutors decide on their own not to pursue a case, but they can and should be fired for that because their job is to prosecute not decide what laws they like.  And yes there are plea bargains but that is completely different from deciding not to prosecute.  And there were also been numerous cases where Obama, as well as other Presidents, took it upon himself to decide what the law should be.  And the Supreme Court ruled that was unconstitutional.  As I said, the Constitution clearly states that it is the Presidents duty to ensure "that the Laws be faithfully executed."

But, as I also said before, in the spirit of fair play, I'm willing to compromise.  I'll support you in saying this particular law should not be enforced as long as you agree to support not enforcing laws I don't like.  And the point is that laws are nothing more than the set of rules that make us a civilized society.  You and I don't get to decided which we like and which we are going to ignore.  At least not without consequence if we get caught.  And that's why we have a procedure for changing the ones that are out of date and/or wrong.  And that procedure states that ONLY Congress can do that.

Sorry, you are wrong.  We've had that discretion since the late 1700s in this country.   

https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/prosecutorial-discretion/

https://law.yale.edu/system/files/area/conference/ilroundtable/ILR13_CBRebeccaKrauss.pdf

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 80

Excellent news. I bet it just kills him to return to Obama policy of housing families together. 

It cost less to keep the families together, and it's better for the families, the whole thing has been a cruel and stupid dog and pony show with children and parents as the unwilling actors it the Republican thumb screw the children and make them scream show.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 80

@nctarheel wrote:

@CS402050 wrote:

Over and over and over liberals keep telling us how bad Trump is for his policy of separating children from their parents.

But there is no such policy.

The Zero-Tolerance policy issued by Attorney General Jeff Sessions simply states that U.S. Code 8 U.S.C. § 1325(a) will be enforced. That's it. That's the policy.

No where does U.S. Code 8 U.S.C. 1325(a) require that children be separated from parents.

Exactly what I said but you decided to leave a lot out so you could take it out of context try to disagree with what I said.  So I'm curious if you even realize that the end result was that you agreed with what I said.  You said, no where does U.S. Code 8 U.S.C. § 1325(a) require that children be separated from their parents.  And the ONLY "policy" the Trump administration changed was to enforce that law.  As they are required to do by the Constitution.

If you spent some time understanding what was said and the FACTS about what's happening in the world before rushing to try to make a snide remark about Trump you wouldn't make such laughable errors about something so simple.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors