Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump, the First White President

Message 21 of 124

Just a fact:

Those who vehemently deny racism and institutional racism are very often racists themselves.

Democrats in 2020
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 124

@NerdyMom wrote:

Not a lie.    Blacks get harsher criminal sentences than whites, for committing the same crimes and for having the same criminal histories.   

This is institutional racism and why we need to fight it.    And if you don't fight it, you are contributing to it.  

http://projects.heraldtribune.com/bias/sentencing/

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1985377

http://www.sentencingproject.org/issues/racial-disparity/

One more time - the CBC requested harsher punishments for selling crack because of the devastating effect it had on the black community.

And yet, some see this as a racist thing on the part of Republicans. Actually, I don't think they see it that way. They just hope others don't know about it and will allow the "race card" to (once again) be played.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 124

@MIseker wrote:

I would have preferred to see the users (a race neutral word) as the main target. No customers, no business. 

well then, i guess your approach includes bigger and more private prisons. you just said you like this idea : If 1 person is supplying 100 users, its cheaper and more effective to put 100 users in jail than it is one dealer. so 100 people have felonies and cant get a job because of that. see, this is the beginning of a horrible part of the wage slavery system.

Why "private" prisons??  If the word got out that users would be imprisoned, the market would tank. Because of the large profits, dealers are easy to find.

And the silly "wage slavery" thingy. As I said, "silly".

who is making drug victims here? OR.. do you see all drug users ( that would be me by the way since my back meds of 10 years were criminalized, taken away, and now i live here)  as criminals that need to be jailed and painted with the felon brush? the felon rush that..A guy out west can be jailed for pot, charged with a felony, go fight wildfires as a prisoner seveal times over for a buck an hour..then be denied an application at the fire dept?

I have no idea what you are talking about. I was proposing a solution to a problem, not dealing with the problems of the users - that is a separate deal.

big picture, man.

its my day off i probably wont keep up. I dont get paid for saturday.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 124

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:
The article is full of hateful opinion...typical of Trump haters. It's also very racist.

Well, Kid, that is predicable. We are dealing with hate filled people who just have to find something to attack on. In this topic even something as silly as the Russians helping the slave owners.

It is impossible to have an intellectual discussion with people who make each and every decision based on the need to find something to hate in others. Add to that their amazing racism that they constantly try to direct on to others and you have quite a package.

There was a time that I was annoyed by constantly being called a racist or a Nazi or a White Supremacist - depending on the mood of the day - but then I realized they can't help it. The prism they see our world through twists their vision in truly strange ways.

I can't imagine going through life so consumed by hatred.

Russia is a fascist state under Putin. connect the dots...

...and that relates to what??? Was it the silly comment about the Russians helping the slave owners?

It relates to Politics and Current Events. Trump/Putin bromance, a rise in fascism world wide, slave owners are essentially fascist, Trump sees those good fascists. Read nerdymoms entire article. lol

?????????????????????????

yeah..i realize that too. sometimes i go above my adversary in debate. think institutional racism/fascism. think about nationalists..putin..poland Trump visited..too bad you cant connect the dots.

???????????

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 124

@KidBoy2 wrote:
NerdyMom posted..

Blacks get harsher criminal sentences than whites, for committing the same crimes and for having the same criminal histories.

=================================================

If you hear that often enough you will believe it's a fact. I am sure that was true in many cases years ago and in a few cases today. It also makes a good talking point to add fuel to the race issue.

But the facts are that Blacks commit far more crimes than others.

The way to reduce crimes, regardless of race is to bring back the family.

Just another neoRepublican racist inspired distortion of reality. What GOPers always leave out is the economic condition of the groups. The reality is that the same PROPORTION of poor blacks commit violent crimes as poor whites do - in fact, poor blacks are slightly LESS likely to commit violent crimes than poor whites - the stats are: 51.3 violent crimes for every 1000 poor urban blacks and 56.4 violent crimes for every 1000 poor urban whites.

The difference is in the number of poor urban whites v poor urban blacks, with blacks accounting for 50% more urban poor than whites (blacks 60% of urban poor, whites only 40%).In a population of 5,000,000 urban poor, that means 3 million are black and they would commit 153,300 violent crimes while the 2 million whites would only commit 112,800.

Further, black poverty is more devistating. Poor whites earn more and are unemployed less in every study done on the urban poor.

And its not due to education - for men without a highschool diploma, the employment rates were 84% for whites and 40% for blacks. Even if everyone with a job got the same pay, the disparity in average income for each group is astounding - for white urban poor the average would be $12,600 and for blacks $6,000. Consider what that disparity will translate to as far as the condition of the neighborhoods each inhabits, since they are very nearly completely segregated.

Fox, Breightbart and other racist media keep pushing totally dishonest statistics that tell their racist listeners what they WANT to hear, so the listeners never question the misinformation they've been fed.

ed does have a good point about strengthening the family, but when stop and frisk sends 4 times as many blacks to prison as whites, and for longer sentences, perhaps that would be a great place to begin fixing the problem. Kinda hard to have a good stable 2-parent home when one is locked up, very often for no good reason.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 124

Sort of off topic in a way, but I have found it interesting to note the volume of posts from apologists for 'the donald' to posts critical of 'the donald'.  Why is that?  Is it a sincere defense or maybe a 'payroll' issue, as Miseker suggested.  Content often has little or nothing to do with the principal topic.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 124

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

One more time - the disparity in the heroin sentencing was at the request of the CBC. That should take any element of racist out of the discussion - except for those who see the world through their racism prism. They will ignore that fact.

I am not talking about the "war on drugs" in general. That was as poorly handled as the "war on poverty". I am specifically referring to the claims of racism.

The CBC did not "request" that a vast majority of those arrested and punished would be Blacks. They did not "request the disparity in the heroin sentencing".

They did. Due to the effect of crack on the black community, they asked for additional actions to curb it. Longer sentencing was thought to help that effort.

The truth is that law enforcement should have focused on the importers, manufacturers, and distributors, (who were more likely to be white), rather than focus on street level users and neighborhood drug dealers, (who were more likely to be black). Some seem to "ignore that fact". 

Yes, the "war on drugs" was about as effective as the "war on poverty". But that has nothing to do with the CBC request. 

I would have preferred to see the users (a race neutral word) as the main target. No customers, no business. 

The claims of racism are based on the fact that it was easy to see that going after street level users and and neighborhood drug dealers in a predominately black area would result in more blacks being arrested and incarcerated. Some seem to also "ignore that fact".

The only fact being ignored is the desires of the CBC.

CBC being an elected body or a Royal Overlord?

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 124

@rk9152 wrote:
nerdymom wrote :

t

I worked in the Baltimore City Jail during the height of the crack epidemic in Baltimore City.   I saw it first hand. 

When one states that the differing sentencing standards for heroin is racist - that is a lie.

Surely you can understand how someone growing up within the horrible system that the "war on poverty" created would see things differently - that is not a matter of lying, it is a matter of perception.

However, one having grown up outside of that environment seizing on those perceptions could well be lying.

first you call her a liar about her lifes experience, then you waver and call it perception of the victims, then finish saying people with different perceptions are lying too.

Reading your stuff is like watching hannity. LOL. your 3 statements right there say that anyone that disagrees with you is a liar, and even their perception of reality is a lie. you are getting in to sci fi turf there. SOmeone sure has been taking their daily loads of brain pap.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 124

@NerdyMom wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@afisher wrote:

Interestingly, the actual article is not being discussed.    Was it TL;DR or was the title just oo off-putting so that some resorted to knee-jerk reactions.   

I have no idea what that means. But, to me, the crack comments defined the mindset of the writer. It was a total lie. Either the writer was totally unfamiliar with the topic or hoped the readers didn't.

It's not a lie at all.  Why would you think it is?  The power structure of our country responded to the crack academic as a criminal justice issue.  And instead of focusing on the importers, manufacturers, and distributers, who were more likely to be white, law enforcement focused on arresting street level users and neighborhood drug dealers, who were more likely to be black.   Baltimore City has long been considered the "heroin capital" of the nation, but it wasn't until the mostly white physician community overprescribed pain killers to mostly white patients that we as a society began to focus on drug addiction as a health problem.   There is a legislative and incarceration history there that is undeniable.  It's not a lie. 

worth repeating. 

I'm sorry I didn't fully read through the responses before posting.  I have just now seen yours and alferdpacker's.  

I worked in the Baltimore City Jail during the height of the crack epidemic in Baltimore City.   I saw it first hand.  I worked with the police, and the judges, and the warden.   I know what they were thinking and trying to do.   They told me a million times.    I know how the defense lawyers talked about people.   How the prosecutors did.  I watched the power structure use and abuse people, powerless people, for their own gain.   

Ta-Nehisi Coates is from Baltimore City, and was an elementary school kid back then, trying to figure out how to stay alive on those streets.     There are no lies coming from his mouth.     

Thank you for helping me with some details. I was born having that feeling  ( elmer fudd voice) "somfing awwfway scwewy is going on".. and i think my genetics and the lessons of my Dad, ( his mom was a Debs fan before women could vote ) Led me at an early age to spend a bit of time figuring it out..BECAUSE THEY DONT TEACH IT IN SCHOOL..but i really didnt have time to begin grasping it until i was in my 40's. The system demands your energetic years be spent working, and i did. im 61 now, sit in for the winter nd a good part of the summer, and have been self educating on the broader theme nd its beginnings. 2 years ago I gave it 6 months of reading and esoteric documentaries that were so eye opening i got too emotionally involed to continue. I wholeheartedly believe the "system" or "establishment" or what ever was rigged for race baiting in the 1600's to keep the slaves indentured servants and working poor from joining..and yeah there is documenttion at one time they did it regularly..until ( documented again ) laws were passed and reasons for them were actually written down by the elite class. and so it has ever been. EVERY movement that unites ALL PEOPLE has always been squashed by the government..thats why profits are so high for US companies and compared to europeans ( who will take to the street at the drop of a hat) have nice toys lke healthcare and free college. and yes they py for them..but imagine the concept..the govt is doing what the people want. Here we have an oligarchy bought and paid for ( both parties) that continues to squash real uniters nd dreamers ( assassinations in the 60's. nixin and on to the drug war) to eliminate and stigmatize potential leaders/spokespersons that would get the ball rolling. So, its NOT really free speech..the up to date is the nazis vs the antifa. this is nothing new in history, same with the KKK. The KKK is still around but the groups that would physically shut them down have been crushed by the govt..and the voice of division continues.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 124
NerdyMom posted..

Blacks get harsher criminal sentences than whites, for committing the same crimes and for having the same criminal histories.

=================================================

If you hear that often enough you will believe it's a fact. I am sure that was true in many cases years ago and in a few cases today. It also makes a good talking point to add fuel to the race issue.

But the facts are that Blacks commit far more crimes than others.

The way to reduce crimes, regardless of race is to bring back the family.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.