Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump, the First White President

Message 121 of 124
a long article, and easily the best i have read in some time.
So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 122 of 124
more :
"Firsthand reports by white Union soldiers who witnessed actual slavery during the Civil War rendered the “white slavery” argument ridiculous. But its operating premises—white labor as noble archetype, and black labor as something else—lived on. This was a matter of rhetoric, not fact. The noble-white-labor archetype did not give white workers immunity from capitalism. It could not, in itself, break monopolies, alleviate white poverty in Appalachia or the South, or bring a decent wage to immigrant ghettos in the North."
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 123 of 124

@NerdyMom wrote:

This is mostly for my fellow liberals and those who think racism is the US's greatest sin. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/537909/

"His political career began in advocacy of birtherism, that modern recasting of the old American precept that black people are not fit to be citizens of the country they built. But long before birtherism, Trump had made his worldview clear. He fought to keep blacks out of his buildings, according to the U.S. government; called for the death penalty for the eventually exonerated Central Park Five; and railed against “lazy” black employees. “Black guys counting my money! I hate it,” Trump was once quoted as saying. “The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”"

I don't think everyone who voted for him is racist, but I do think everyone who voted for him at least overlooked his racism. And we must stop overlooking it.

But this underscores that unless we proactively work to dismantle structural racism, we are contributing to it. Being passive is not good enough.  

Most excellent. Its brings up one of my favorite points :

"This transfiguration is not novel. It is a return to form. The tightly intertwined stories of the white working class and black Americans go back to the prehistory of the United States—and the use of one as a cudgel to silence the claims of the other goes back nearly as far. Like the black working class, the white working class originated in bondage—the former in the lifelong bondage of slavery, the latter in the temporary bondage of indenture. In the early 17th century, these two classes were remarkably, though not totally, free of racist enmity. But by the 18th century, the country’s master class had begun etching race into law while phasing out indentured servitude in favor of a more enduring labor solution. From these and other changes of law and economy, a bargain emerged: The descendants of indenture would enjoy the full benefits of whiteness, the most definitional benefit being that they would never sink to the level of the slave. But if the bargain protected white workers from slavery, it did not protect them from near-slave wages or backbreaking labor to attain them..."

yes it is a class struggle.. and leaders that bring the races together are a no no to the government. When the working class people stop fighting each other and realize its just a way to enable the class system, things will change. Unfortunately it really is the haves and have nots. White people in charge promoted racism to tame the poor whites.

This article is a good read for everyone for the history lesson. Some of this is not new material to me... and i have read some of the laws and statements taken from original documents to back this up. In another post i mention Redneck Revolt, a lefty organization, will be put down before the Klan is. History says so..the system always stands for division among the non elites.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Trump, the First White President

Message 124 of 124

This is mostly for my fellow liberals and those who think racism is the US's greatest sin. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/537909/

"His political career began in advocacy of birtherism, that modern recasting of the old American precept that black people are not fit to be citizens of the country they built. But long before birtherism, Trump had made his worldview clear. He fought to keep blacks out of his buildings, according to the U.S. government; called for the death penalty for the eventually exonerated Central Park Five; and railed against “lazy” black employees. “Black guys counting my money! I hate it,” Trump was once quoted as saying. “The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”"

I don't think everyone who voted for him is racist, but I do think everyone who voted for him at least overlooked his racism. And we must stop overlooking it.

But this underscores that unless we proactively work to dismantle structural racism, we are contributing to it. Being passive is not good enough.  

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.