Honored Social Butterfly

Trump’s assault on mail voting threatens his reelection bid

This is the highest rated poll yet to say that Trump is hurting his own reelection chances with his crusade on vote by mail.  While Trump has been the administration of unintended consequences for quite a while, this is making me wonder if he has just given up and is only looking for an excuse to explain his loss. 

New private polling showed that Republicans have become overwhelmingly concerned about mail balloting, which Trump has claimed without evidence, will lead to widespread voter fraud. A potentially decisive slice of Trump’s battleground-state base — 15 percent of Trump voters in Florida, 12 percent in Pennsylvania and 10 percent in Michigan — said that getting a ballot in the mail would make them less likely to vote in November.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/03/trumps-assault-on-mail-voting-threatens-his-reelection-bid-... 

Honored Social Butterfly

If I have a constitutional right to vote, what is the argument for making someone apply for a ballot to do so? Just send them to every registered voter. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

If I have a constitutional right to vote, what is the argument for making someone apply for a ballot to do so? Just send them to every registered voter. 

You have a constitutional right to vote, but not necessarily absentee.   

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Apparently some here seem to believe that everyone has a computer and a printer.   That is the problem,  people assume all sorts of things that are untrue even in Texas.    There are parts of Bexar County that do not have a stable internet connection.   

There are people that are just too poor to afford all the items that some don't seem recognize.    Yes, many of these people are people who qualify to Vote by Mail - but without those tools how are they supposed to accomplish all this "on line'?   Please think before answering.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

Apparently some here seem to believe that everyone has a computer and a printer.   That is the problem,  people assume all sorts of things that are untrue even in Texas.    There are parts of Bexar County that do not have a stable internet connection.   

There are people that are just too poor to afford all the items that some don't seem recognize.    Yes, many of these people are people who qualify to Vote by Mail - but without those tools how are they supposed to accomplish all this "on line'?   Please think before answering.   

A person doesn't have to sit at a computer to request an application for an absentee ballot.  It can be done over the telephone by calling the County Clerk's office.  I got my start several decades ago by doing that.  Then I went to the computer.  Texas isn't exactly in the dark ages.  I've even received mail from the various parties, especially Democrats, enclosing a form where I could request one...postage paid.

You have posted that you've given out applications and highlight certain areas.  So do you also highlight the party for annual ballots to be automatically sent for primaries?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump votes by mail ............. everyone should be able to.  Fraud at numbers that would affect the election have never ever been proven. This is just another way to restrict voting, it's what Republicans do.

Trump is angering the majority of Americans and it will backfire on him and the Republicans.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Oh my - more uninformed information by those who don't know that they are incorrect.    But I will ask -   Does your state send out Applications for Ballot by Mail  (ABBM)?    I live in Texas and that answer is NO!   

So the complaint that no other group should send out those applications means that NO Group will send out applications.   Only those who lack the ability to think outside their own bubble would believe their nonsense. Do they comprehend that people would then have to travel to the County Election office, which in Rural areas is a Sheriff's office - how are they going to get there, they may be in a residential home, so no car, no family etc.     

The applications ( in TX) are a bit confusing.   When I deliver them, I highlight with a yellow marker all the areas that must be completed along with written instructions.    

How to get them returned for processing:    Oops that State wants zero to do with that, and if the ABBM is mailed to the State - they do NOTHING.   

To make matters worse,   the Gov. of the State has declared that there will be zero feedback on this processing - so the 'assumption" that all is well is a false assumption.   

Gee, I do approve of "others" to work with people to get the ABBM - YEP!   I believe that everyone should have the right to Vote and if they need assistance,  then we know that many states offer none, so others must step up to fill that gap.     

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

Oh my - more uninformed information by those who don't know that they are incorrect.    But I will ask -   Does your state send out Applications for Ballot by Mail  (ABBM)?    I live in Texas and that answer is NO!   

So the complaint that no other group should send out those applications means that NO Group will send out applications.   Only those who lack the ability to think outside their own bubble would believe their nonsense. Do they comprehend that people would then have to travel to the County Election office, which in Rural areas is a Sheriff's office - how are they going to get there, they may be in a residential home, so no car, no family etc.     

The applications ( in TX) are a bit confusing.   When I deliver them, I highlight with a yellow marker all the areas that must be completed along with written instructions.    

How to get them returned for processing:    Oops that State wants zero to do with that, and if the ABBM is mailed to the State - they do NOTHING.   

To make matters worse,   the Gov. of the State has declared that there will be zero feedback on this processing - so the 'assumption" that all is well is a false assumption.   

I have voted by absentee ballot for several decades and find that the ballot applications are real simple to understand.  All a person has to do is follow the steps in filling the application out.  A copy can be found here.  And one doesn't have to travel anywhere.  It can be found online to be printed out, or a person can call the County Court Clerk and one will be mailed to their home.  And they don't have to be requested with each election.  There is provision to request the ballot to be sent for each election depending on the preference for the party primary. 

That has to be done on a yearly basis.  I print out the application on my computer and mail it to the County Clerk.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

While T Rump has been warning the country for weeks now  that mail-in votes will be filled with fraud  ( only if he loses of course )   

He said this week that Florida is a very well run state....perfect...with low taxes......and encourages Floridian seniors to use mail-in's   ( cause he wants them to wrote for him )    

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

A potentially decisive slice of Trump’s battleground-state base — 15 percent of Trump voters in Florida, 12 percent in Pennsylvania and 10 percent in Michigan — said that getting a ballot in the mail would make them less likely to vote in November.

You ONLY get a ballot in the mail AFTER you have made an application for a mail in ballot.

Now getting an actual ballot in the mail if I had not requested one would make me rather suspicious of the process and I would alert the authorities.

Did you know that other people than the government can send you an application for a ballot.

A Foundation, a nonprofit group, can print (exactly) the application to obtain a mail in ballot - they don't even have to be located in your state.

The only qualifiers, which everybody should check, is that it is exactly the form which is used by your state for requesting a mail in ballot and that the address (pre-printed on return envelop) is the place where you send it in your state.

Honored Social Butterfly

Did you know that other people than the government can send you an application for a ballot.

I am not sure I understand your point here. Applying for a ballot set in motion quite a few I don’t think he checks at least here in New Mexico. You can also track the ballot from when it is sent to you to when you return it and it arrives back at the county clerks office. Each ballot is barcoded And tracked at every step along the way.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva 

It is the APPLICATION FOR the absentee ballot that other people can send you with the qualifiers that I mention in my previous post.  NOT the actual ballot !

The application for an absentee ballot can come from a Foundation or other group.  It must be EXACTLY like what your state issues and must be SENT to the EXACT same place in your state/locality where it would be sent if not sent by this outside group.

You have it in NM -

Request an Absentee Ballot

Absentee voting begins on Tuesday, October 6, 2020 for the General Election. Request an absentee ballot by filling out an application and returning it to your local County Clerk.

https://www.sos.state.nm.us/voting-and-elections/voter-information-portal/absentee-and-early-voting/ 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva 

It is the APPLICATION FOR the absentee ballot that other people can send you with the qualifiers that I mention in my previous post.  NOT the actual ballot !

The application for an absentee ballot can come from a Foundation or other group.  It must be EXACTLY like what your state issues and must be SENT to the EXACT same place in your state/locality where it would be sent if not sent by this outside group.

You have it in NM -

Absentee voting begins on Tuesday, October 6, 2020 for the General Election. Request an absentee ballot by filling out an application and returning it to your local County Clerk.

https://www.sos.state.nm.us/voting-and-elections/voter-information-portal/absentee-and-early-voting/ 

NM has done a lot for mail in vetoing. The State sent it out for the Primary election, and a foundation is doing it for the General. I got mine today. As you know in NM you can go on line to get the ballot and I did that before and will do it again. NM makes it easy to vote and to sign up to vote. To sign up  to vote you can call in to register, or use the DMV, or visit the Reb., Dem. party office, plus other places.

You should take the material you downloaded from NM and work to have it used in GA. I have never been in the County Clerks Office about vetoing and I have voted in every election.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

As of 30 July, FiveThirtyEight had Biden up by 6.8% in Florida with other polls showing Biden with a double-digit lead. 

DeSantis is in worse shape with 79% of Floridians DISAPPROVING of his handling of Covid

Somehow neither of these twits realized that killing Seniors by the thousands was NOT going to win the Senior Vote.

It's taken a deadly Pandemic, but the inevitable results of voting for psychopathic morons is FINALLY coming into the conscientiousness of Republican voters.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva 

You have it in NM -

Then I don't understand your point.  Trump's actions are hurting his own campaign and the Democrats are flocking to mail in voting with little risk of fraud. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva 

I was pointing out an area that could be abusive that people need to check if they received an unsolicited APPLICATION for a ballot in the mail.

A screen shot of my previous post - people need to check this unsolicited ballot APPLICATION to make sure it is EXACTLY like the one their state requires and they need to make sure that the return envelop  has the correct address in their state as to where to mail their ballot APPLICATIONS.

Screenshot_2020-08-04 Trump’s assault on mail voting threatens his reelection bid.png

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva 

I was pointing out an area that could be abusive that people need to check if they received an unsolicited APPLICATION for a ballot in the mail.

A screen shot of my previous post - people need to check this unsolicited ballot APPLICATION to make sure it is EXACTLY like the one their state requires and they need to make sure that the return envelop  has the correct address in their state as to where to mail their ballot APPLICATIONS.

Well, again, I can only speak for New Mexico.  The Secretary of State/ County Clerk will only send the ballot to a voter's address of record. They  will only accept official applications and you can fill in an application online using sufficient personal identifying data.  I get that someone else could send you an application but, again, we send an application to every registered voter.  

I just don't see the risk.  On the other hand, most of us don't see a risk until some schmuck is drainign our bank accounts 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva 

Well, again, I can only speak for New Mexico.  The Secretary of State/ County Clerk will only send the ballot to a voter's address of record. They  will only accept official applications and you can fill in an application online using sufficient personal identifying data.  I get that someone else could send you an application but, again, we send an application to every registered voter.  

I just don't see the risk.  On the other hand, most of us don't see a risk until some schmuck is drainign our bank accounts 🙂

An official APPLICATIONS FOR A BALLOT is one that complies with what the state issues.  The state gives the instructions on where to send it once it has been completed.  There is nothing that says that an outside organization cannot send them out also.

Let's say an organization - maybe from even an out of state one - sends you an unsolicited APPLICATIONS FOR A BALLOT, unless you check to make sure that it is EXACTLY like the one which your state requires and that the self addressed return envelop from this outside organization is EXACTLY the address that gets it to the appropriate location in your state - you may not get a ballot and you might just keep waiting and waiting until time runs out.

Personally, I don't think any organization should do this type of unsolicited mailing of a APPLICATIONS FOR A BALLOT.  But they can and thus the voter needs to verify its accuracy with their state before using it as their APPLICATIONS FOR A BALLOT,

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

NANI  NANI   NANI!!!!!!!   I CaN VOTE BY MAIL AND YOU ALL CAN'T  
goodlol.jpg

Florida law to request a mail ballot , you simply call on the phone and get one. 

As a poll worker of many years, I can tell you that when we got voters that ha changed their addteses in their ID and we didn't have them in our books because they failed to provide that information to the proper dpt. we will allow them to vote but would decleare those as provisional ballots.

If a voter cam in with a different address in their ID and we still had them in our books we also followed procedures and send them to their proper prescint.

I do't know how it is in other States but I am laughing very hard as to  what makes a State be able to vote by mail and what it doesn\t

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 

I think EVERY state has a cutoff date before an election where you can do things like change your address.  True for in person voting (for those that check an ID form) and definitely for mail in or absentee voting.  Yes, depending upon the timing of a change of address there could be a problems but not one that is insurmountable for the voter, if they understand the process and/or can present proof of previous address and current address during the validation of a provisional ballot.  Or like you said, if the old location isn't too far away - tell them to got vote there.

Course, in many states, if they had checked their current voter registration, it would have listed their specific (in-person) voting place

There are lots of ways people can request an APPLICATION FOR A MAIL IN OR ABSENTEE BALLOT.  Call, write, online, sent out in mass by government to all voters OR as an unsolicited mailing from some organization.  

Good thing the election officials can keep tract of APPLICATION FOR A MAIL IN OR ABSENTEE BALLOT and their action to send the voter a mail in or absentee ballot because some people do submit more than one APPLICATION. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@Roxanna35 

I think EVERY state has a cutoff date before an election where you can do things like change your address.  True for in person voting (for those that check an ID form) and definitely for mail in or absentee voting.  Yes, depending upon the timing of a change of address there could be a problems but not one that is insurmountable for the voter, if they understand the process and/or can present proof of previous address and current address during the validation of a provisional ballot.  Or like you said, if the old location isn't too far away - tell them to got vote there.

Course, in many states, if they had checked their current voter registration, it would have listed their specific (in-person) voting place

There are lots of ways people can request an APPLICATION FOR A MAIL IN OR ABSENTEE BALLOT.  Call, write, online, sent out in mass by government to all voters OR as an unsolicited mailing from some organization.  

Good thing the election officials can keep tract of APPLICATION FOR A MAIL IN OR ABSENTEE BALLOT and their action to send the voter a mail in or absentee ballot because some people do submit more than one APPLICATION. 

This is an important subject and should be handled by people who know the system for that State not people living in other states who read material they think applies. No one in here should give advice on this subject. They should tell the person to contact the expert in there own State. It falls into the same area as Medical Advice. People can be hurt badly  and the AARP web site should not be the vehicle that did that.

With that in mind lets all do the right thing and stop this discussion now.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1   Florida does not have an Application to request a mail in vote.  and if I remember correctly California didn't either.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@GailL1   Florida does not have an Application to request a mail in vote.  and if I remember correctly California didn't either.

Well, Florida does - you can look up California - here's a hint - California also has an application and application process.

Florida Dept of State - Division of Elections: Vote By Mail 

How to and Who Can Request a Vote-by-Mail Ballot

A request for a vote-by-mail ballot may be made in one of the following ways:

• Online application on your county Supervisors of Elections' website;
  • By other writing (e.g., by email, fax, mail) to Supervisor of Elections;
  • In person at Supervisor of Elections;
  • By telephone call to Supervisor of Elections.

more at the link

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1   I do not know where you are getting that info but we are having primaries here on the 8th  and I got my mail in vote over two weeks ago and I already voted I simply  called and they sent me my mail vote and I didn't have to apply for anything. Unless you tell me know that my vote is not any good. Unless you say that calling on the phone and requesting to vote by mail is a process  or an application to vote by mail. I always voted by mail in California and I always requested my ballot by mail in many elections. I did't know that simply calling of the phone was an application to vote by mail

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I did't know that simply calling of the phone was an application to vote by mail

Doubtful it is an application, but one could probably request an application by calling.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I did't know that simply calling of the phone was an application to vote by mail

Doubtful it is an application, but one could probably request an application by calling.

It is in some states. I have a feeling it is not in Texas.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2    Why would I request an application if is not required to obtain a mail in vote? What would that application do for me?  I simply called gave my name and address and if it was the same that my voter registration has, that is all that was required  Even in Gail post she states that by calling you can get your mail in vote. I am gathering that things are not the same in Texas.

Nobody asked me why I was voting by mail.  and I lived in Ca for 40 years, always voted by mail and no one ever asked my why, I simply alsi called NOw here in Florida they are supposed to send me my mail vote for the next two elections at that time I will have to request again.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

here in Florida they are supposed to send me my mail vote for the next two elections at that time I will have to request again.

Then you don't have to call to request an application...the post was directed towards those that haven't requested ballots for certain periods of time.  I request annual mailings of the next years elections.  Perhaps you should follow the train of thought in the discussion?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2   And what is it that I am not following? I don't understand. When I requested my mail ballot they asked me if I wanted to have mail ballots for the next two years and I said yes. 

no name
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png