Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump's Wall - Prototypes Begin

Message 1 of 10

@gordyfl wrote:

I'm not knocking Mexicans. Most Mexicans I knew back then were very nice. He was not one of them. The point I'm trying to make - we have a very porous border. 

Agreed.  We do indeed have a porous border....every inch of it.  I won't belabor this, as it is fact.  When we get the bids for this method of securing the border and get a better handle of the full implications and problems involved with its construction are, I suspect misplaced priorities will become a topic for discussion. 

I also suspect those in the immediate vicinity will have second thoughts when the solution means their ox gets gored.  This thing can only happen by authoritarian take over of land and all of those consequences..  Property ownership, property rights, where people can and cannot live...emminent domain...condemnation and 'takings'.   So, now....once this 'porous' border is 'secure', which one should be next? 

Consider....with climate change WILL come population displacement.  If climate change cannot be curbed or mitigated, within our capabilities, the inevitable attempts by starving people to survive will happen.  Demagogues will exploit that to grasp power, as they always have.  Violent armed conflict between orgainized groups of people WILL result...read that as there will be WAR[s]. Today that means potential nuclear conflict.  Directly involved or not, you WILL share in the consequences.

Water, food supply failure  power failures, 'lebensraum'.  I suggest to you that it WILL be all of the above.  I know you are far too observant to fall into the short-sighted idea that a kick of the can down the road will fix what ails us.  The "wall" will do nothing of consequence to deal with far more serious issues that a leaky border.  It does take our 'eye off the ball', though.  That's a bad thing....a really bad thing.

After Mexicans, it will be Africans, Philipinos,Indians, Pakistani whether or not they happen to be Radical Muslim Terrorists.  It will be anyone in the 'crosshairs' of global warming.  Immigration ain't gonna go away.  Walls won't stop it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

What a waste of Mexico's money !!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...By the way, my wife once more wondered IF her idea for incorporating solar and maybe wind energy production is a part of the design criteria.  I couldn't answer. I didn't know....anyone else have the specifications?..".

Apparently, you didn't read the linked article. There are several companies who will submit prototypes. There are no specs at this point. The article states there is a bid for putting solar on the wall.

I looked again rt and couldn't find any reference in the article for solar or wind or anything except sensors, towers cameras etc.  I realize the proposals are, more or less, independent proposals by private companies and will be accepted or rejected on merit...and cost, I suppose.  That still means some stated specifications for criteria of performance.  I don't see any description in this article or any other of what was issued as an RFP.  So....if you have it, let's see it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

I've witnessed the use of undocumented workers up close and first hand.  Calls for enforcement are ignored most times or the buck is passed off because of jurisdiction or other convenient reasons such as lack of staff, facilities or lack or funds.  It's typical and widespread. It's not just business owners breaking the law with impunity.

I can tell you a story - first hand.

I worked with a woman from South America. She had just gone through a divorce. Her first date after her divorce was a Mexican. In my opinion, and others, he was not a likable guy. 

After her first date we saw that she had bruises. She told us it was from her "first date". She was persuaded to tell a local deputy, who happen to be nearby. She filed charges. Her Mexican date was arrested.

He went to court. It was discovered that he had a wife and four kids back in his home country. He was given a choice by the judge - either serve time in jail or go back to Mexico immediately. He chose to go back to Mexico. It must have been less than 2 months later that he was back in our neighborhood and working again in the kitchen of a resturaunt. I don't know how he did it, but it must have been pretty easy to come across the border.

I'm not knocking Mexicans. Most Mexicans I knew back then were very nice. He was not one of them. The point I'm trying to make - we have a very porous border.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

"...By the way, my wife once more wondered IF her idea for incorporating solar and maybe wind energy production is a part of the design criteria.  I couldn't answer. I didn't know....anyone else have the specifications?..".

Apparently, you didn't read the linked article. There are several companies who will submit prototypes. There are no specs at this point. The article states there is a bid for putting solar on the wall.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

I've witnessed the use of undocumented workers up close and first hand.  Calls for enforcement are ignored most times or the buck is passed off because of jurisdiction or other convenient reasons such as lack of staff, facilities or lack or funds.  It's typical and widespread. It's not just business owners breaking the law with impunity.

That practice puts US citizens doing the same work at an economic disadvantage.  It also allows both the undocumented worker AND the US citizen to be exploited in multiple ways.  That practice puts ANY US business abiding by all laws at a distinct disadvantage with those who do not whether they are domestically based or foreign.  

That practice and all its implication has little to do with 'the wall' and the ego-centric mania driving its construction.  By the way, my wife once more wondered IF her idea for incorporating solar and maybe wind energy production is a part of the design criteria.  I couldn't answer. I didn't know....anyone else have the specifications?

The Wall itself is an idea passing stupid....If it happens anyway, We, The People, should get as much of our money back somehow as possible.  Face it....one way or another, WE WILL PAY FOR IT.......100%.  No one else will.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@NerdyMom wrote:

"....But will it be beautiful?   Trump promised us a beautiful wall....".

It better be. Aesthetics is key. If our two countries have to look at the wall, it needs to be artistic on both sides. Ya know, functionality in art............

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

But will it be beautiful?   Trump promised us a beautiful wall.   Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Trump's Wall - Prototypes Begin

Oh yeah, that looks great, very hi tech, very secure, very expensive.

Of course four out of five people in the county illegally don't actually come over that border so I don't know how effective it will be,  even if a wall like that were to be constructed coast to coast, which it won't be.

In my opinion a better approach would be to go after the people who hire illegal workers , just make it not pay to hire them, and then some.

Just make hiring illegal workers very unprofitable.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Trump's Wall - Prototypes Begin

Message 10 of 10

trump wall prototype.jpg

Four companies selected to build prototypes for Trump’s border wall

These prototypes are designed to be 30 feet (9 meters) tall and 30 feet wide.

The walls will also have places for sensors, lighting, cameras and towers.

A plan envisioned by the administration would have a see-through wall structure on immediate US-Mexico border, then a 150 foot-wide “enforcement zone,” followed by a concrete wall.

https://www.rt.com/usa/401648-companies-selected-prototype-border-wall/

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.