Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Trump’s Trade War Could Shut Cheesemakers Out

Message 1 of 1

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/24/business/trump-trade-war-cheese-exports.html

Trump’s Trade War Could Shut Cheesemakers Out of Foreign Markets

With other countries raising tariffs to American products and signing trade deals without the United States, the American cheesemaker is increasingly standing alone.

PLYMOUTH, Wis. — It’s a common observation here that you can’t turn off the cows — not for Christmas, and not for a trade war.

So as President Trump’s aggressive trade measures prompt other countries to retaliate with barriers to American goods, dairy farmers and cheesemakers in the rolling, bright green hills of Wisconsin are growing anxious about what will happen to all of the milk and cheese they churn out and typically sell overseas.

“If export markets get shut off, I could see us getting to the point where we’re dumping our milk in the fields,” said Jeff Schwager, the president of Sartori Company, which has produced cheese in a nearby town for generations with milk it purchases from more than 100 dairy farms throughout Wisconsin. “It’ll be a big ripple effect through the state.”

Dear Wisconsin:

Don't look to me to buy you're dairy products, I buy blue state cheese and milk.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors