From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump’s Syria Withdrawal Policy Is Correct, But Communicated Horribly

Message 1 of 12

jimc91:  The news deeply angered the Washington foreign policy consensus, which argues that troops should stay in the region indefinitely even though the stated mission of defeating ISIS has been accomplished.

Im sure the Angry Orange Toddler thought long and hard about repercussions. Right? Lol

Syria Pullout by U.S. Tilts Mideast Toward Iran and Russia, Isolating Israel

JERUSALEM — The American decision to withdraw from Syria has abruptly scrambled the geopolitics of the Middle East, clearing the way for Iran to expand its influence across the region, leaving Israel virtually alone to stop it, and raising the prospect that thousands of Islamic State prisoners could be set free.

Beyond the region, President Trump’s announcement ricocheted Thursday from Moscow, where it was praised, to Washington, where it was the catalyst for the resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.

The decision shows that even a relatively small move — the United States has only about 2,000 troops in Syria — can have far-reaching consequences in a complex war, leaving allies struggling to cope and adversaries pleased and emboldened.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/world/middleeast/syria-us-withdrawal-iran.html

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

@mandm84 wrote:

Say it aint so !!! Jimc using a biased far right source !!! You don't see any left leaning posters using biased far left Daily KOS as a source Do Ya ?

Forget the source - how would YOU define success and the right time for us to get out?

Trump campaigned on bringing the troops home and he is doing exactly that.

No, we will not have a surrender signed by a general and the defeated enemy. It doesn't work that way any more.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

Say it aint so !!! Jimc using a biased far right source !!! You don't see any left leaning posters using biased far left Daily KOS as a source Do Ya ?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

@jimc91 wrote:

We can no longer be the police for the world...  It's time for Syria to step it up and fight for themselves, we have already done the heavy lifting.

@nctarheel, Merry Christmas!

WRONG

We Did Not Do Hardly Any of the - HEAVY LIFTING

The Kurds did..........................

American Forces provided Intelligence in the form of Satellite Imagery - Artillery & Air Support

The Majority of the - Heavy Lifting - the Neighborhood to Neighborhood - the Door to Door - Boots on the Ground Combat Required to Eliminate pockets of ISIS resistance was done mostly by the Kurdish Fighters with US Troops on the Ground providing a Secure Perimeter

WHY DO YOU THINK A WELL-RESPECTED MILITARY STATEGIST LIKE MATTIS REBUKED TRUMP?

Mattis doesn't have a Poltical Bone in his Body - He is Pure Military and he understands Loyalty & Commitment

The bottom line: Unlike most others, who pretended to leave on fine terms, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis bailed with a sharp, specific, stinging rebuke of Trump and his America-first worldview. 

• @mattis wrote: "My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed about both malign actors and strategic competitors are strongly held."
  • And the general drops the mic: "Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my positions."

Turkish president announces delay of planned offensive in Syria, welcomes Trump decision to pull out...

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkish forces are still planning to invade northeast Syria in the coming months and "cleanse" the region of both Kurdish militias and Islamic State forces. Turkey has long opposed the U.S. partnership with Kurdish forces in the battle against the Islamic State.

Source - https://www.axios.com/pre-christmas-trump-rebuked-rampaging-mattis-reisgnation-014a96ab-a4ec-4504-9e...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/turkeys-erdogan-delays-operation-against-kurdish-fo...

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

Donald and authoritarian leader Erdogan have been looking for a way to get along.   The Khassoghi murder in Turkey by the Saudi's was Erdogans trump card and he played it.    Donald wants everyone in the US to forget that the Saudi's killed a US journalists and the deal that was cut, US out of Syria and Erdogan will stop pushing the murder.   Erdogan wants the US out of the way so that Turkey forces can go into Syria and kill the Kurds - Ir aq will do nothing to stop this,as Kurds are a PIA to them as well.    

If people don't understand this process, then I doubt they have been paying attention to foreign affairs.   To wit they post RW nonsense / cover for Donald.  Just my opinion, of course!

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

I became strongly opposed to Assad after reading the book "A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea". A true story. 

I would have loved to see the Syrian people rise up, and overthrow Assad. It just didn't turn out that way. His country is in ruins. Six of ten Syrians have fled the country. It is a mess. Maybe some day he'll be taken out by his people.

The book "A Hope More Powerful than the Sea" was a very fast read. I, myself, couldn't put it down.

I just glanced at the reviews. The first review summed up my thoughts of the book:

"When we watch the news, these stories don’t make sufficient impact on us. The news of overturned boats in the Mediterranean, dead bodies of infants washing ashore, doesn’t have the impact on readers as it should. But stories like Doaa’s, presented in the form of excellent storytelling, thrilling surprises, and powerful characters, do have an impact.
This is a must-read book for everyone who is debating the refugee crisis, because it boils the entire war in Syria down to one family, one young woman: Doaa."

and...

"I received this book for an honest review. I am so glad I agreed to reading this book, because this story was amazing!! I highly suggest this book to everyone!!!!"

Book Review by Readers at link:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30078650-a-hope-more-powerful-than-the-sea

a hope more powerful.jpg

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

@jimc91 wrote:

We can no longer be the police for the world...  It's time for Syria to step it up and fight for themselves, we have already done the heavy lifting.

Be prepared for ISIS resurgence outside the borders of Syria.

Our troops were there for several reasons, all of which INDIVIDUAL-1, the stable genius, seems to have forgotten as he lied about "DEFEATING ISIS".

That Assad and Putin have praised INDIVIDUAL-1'S decision should indicate something to you.

I am surprised that you hold the same opinion as ASSAD and PUTIN.

@jimc91, SCHASTLIVOGO ROZHDESTVA!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

International Poll 2018 - Syria

Syrians polled across all 14 regions of Syria

http://www.gallup-international.com/surveys/syria-poll-march-2018/Gallup

Looks like the Syrians don't care much for the Coalition Forces...or the Kurds. They definitely don't like ISIS.

Turkey and Russia are rated most positive.

Even Hezbolah and Iran are rated better than the Coalition Forces...or the Kurds.

The International Poll and American Media Don't Line Up...

syria negative.png

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

@jimc91 wrote:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/12/21/trumps-syria-withdrawal-policy-is-correct-but-communicated-horri...

Only THE FEDERALIST, a media outlet owned and operated by a known SERIAL PLAGIARIST, a media outlet that supports CHILD MOLESTATION, and a media outlet that keeps its funding SECRET would dare take the opposite opinion of our MILITARY, our ALLIES, and our POLITICAL LEADERS both REPUBLICAN and DEMOCRAT.

Oh.....WAIT.....WAIT...... There is at least one leader that is in agreement with THE FEDERALIST.

THAT WOULD BE VLAD!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors