Honored Social Butterfly

Trump's Policy "Magic Wand" Boosts Manufacturing Jobs 399%

Cut and paste post. Try and be happy for ordinary Americans who just want a job. 

Trump's Policy "Magic Wand" Boosts Manufacturing Jobs 399% In First 26 Months Over Obama's Last 26

Proof that Obama and Krugman are both economic morons and that liberal economic policies are just, ignorant.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde...4#c9e42e120a63

During the 2016 presidential campaign, Donald Trump consistently promised to revive America’s manufacturing economy.

Trump’s focus on manufacturing brought out high-profile critics who scoffed at the notion. President Obama notably said in June 2016 that manufacturing jobs "are just not going to come back".

.” He said this at a time when manufacturing job growth had flatlined, falling by 31,000 from January of 2016 to when he delivered his pessimistic comments in June of that year.

While President Obama’s time in office did see job gains, even in manufacturing, it’s important to note that jobs always come back in a post-recession recovery. But comparing the nation’s most-recent economic recovery from the trough in June 2009, the pace of job growth was slower in Obama’s tenure than in any past recovery—except for the rebound from the mild eight-month recession in 2001, following the deflation of the dot-com bubble.

Much of the blame for the weak economy can be set at the feet of two failed economic policies: monetary and fiscal. From the reliance on the Federal Reserve’s easy money—$4.5 trillion of “quantitative easing"—to the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) started under President Bush to Obama’s Cash For Clunkers program, the post-2009 recovery was marked by government intervention at levels not seen since the Great Depression 70 years earlier.

Furthermore, with federal regulatory activity at historic highs under President Obama, investors were scared off from making long-term commitments. As a result, much of the Federal Reserve’s easy money sat safely on the sidelines.

As the shock was settling in less than three weeks after Trump’s election, Paul Krugman, a New York Times columnist and economist, said of President-elect Trump’s manufacturing jobs promises,
Paul Krugman

@paulkrugman

Here's what it looks like 2/

View image on Twitter
Paul Krugman

@paulkrugman

Nothing policy can do will bring back those lost jobs. The service sector is the future of work; but nobody wants to hear it 3/

Yet last Friday, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics issued its February jobs report. Comparing the Trump administration’s first 26 months of employment data with the last 26 months under Obama is insightful.

Both periods are considered by most economists to be in the mature stage of the business cycle. In Obama’s case, slow economic growth, especially regarding sluggish manufacturing employment, was considered the “new normal.” The national economy grew by 1.6% in 2016, Obama’s last year.

From October 2014 to December 2016, private sector employment grew by 4.2% as the unemployment rate dipped to 4.7%. In the past 26 months, private employers have grown their payrolls by 4.0% as the job market has tightened considerably, with official unemployment dropping to 3.8%.

While overall employment numbers are comparable, the difference in manufacturing is profound. In the last 26 months of Obama’s presidency, manufacturing employment grew by 96,000 or 0.8%. In Trump’s first 26 months, manufacturers added 479,000 jobs, or 3.9%, 399% more jobs than Obama’s record.

Is it any wonder that President Obama derided then-candidate Trump for needing a “magic wand” to deliver on his manufacturing jobs promise?

On the other hand, federal, state and local government jobs, many of them creators of job-stifling red tape, grew by 1.7% in Obama’s last 26 months compared to 0.8% under Trump.

In fact, over the past 26 months, there were 168% more jobs in manufacturing created than in government, while during Obama’s last 26 months, there were 303% more government jobs created than in manufacturing. This was not sustainable. Government jobs don’t pay for themselves.

And here’s where President Trump’s pro-growth policies come into play.

The current stretch in increased manufacturing employment started in November, 2016—the month of Trump’s election. Employers, especially those faced with making long-term investments in physical plants and equipment, anticipated regulatory relief under Trump.

They got the relief they hoped for.

By October 2018, the Trump Administration cut 2.7 major regulations for every one added, greatly reducing regulatory cost and risk.

In addition, the tax cuts signed into law in December 2017 not only reduced corporate tax rates, encouraging investment, they also incentivized U.S.-based multinational corporations to bring home profits held overseas.

In the first nine months of 2018, these firms repatriated $571.3 billion—money needed for job-creating investment at home, but had been held in foreign countries because America had the highest corporate tax rate in the industrialized world.

Trump’s pro-growth policies appear to be all the magic the manufacturing sector needed .

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

ROFLMAO - apparently some folks don't know a whole lot about who is the person who is pushing an opinion and never ever reflecting if they might be exaggerating....hugely.

Perhaps many here don't know anything about the organization in TX from which this person is escounced and what bs. they put out daily.    Well, shame on them for proving that they only push opinion pieces and never reflect on whether they are being fed cow droppings.

What if payroll keeps said that there were no job growith in the manufacturing and construction job sector - would the posers here consider that as a negative...because I was led to believe by the RW bloggers here that Donld harped on that particular sector as "middle-class" jobs.

Keep lying, if only to yourself, but please, you just look silly when you post an opinion piece from a group that is as close to Koch as 2 people having sex are close and either ignore or hope that no one sees through the smoke / mirror gambit at play.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

ROFLMAO - apparently some folks don't know a whole lot about who is the person who is pushing an opinion and never ever reflecting if they might be exaggerating....hugely.

Perhaps many here don't know anything about the organization in TX from which this person is escounced and what bs. they put out daily.    Well, shame on them for proving that they only push opinion pieces and never reflect on whether they are being fed cow droppings.

What if payroll keeps said that there were no job growith in the manufacturing and construction job sector - would the posers here consider that as a negative...because I was led to believe by the RW bloggers here that Donld harped on that particular sector as "middle-class" jobs.

Keep lying, if only to yourself, but please, you just look silly when you post an opinion piece from a group that is as close to Koch as 2 people having sex are close and either ignore or hope that no one sees through the smoke / mirror gambit at play.

Some trump supporters seem as ignorant as the man they support.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Looky.  Looky.  Looky.  Hockey Sticky.

ManufacturingHockeyStick.jpg

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MANEMP

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Other than the fact that the data tables are incomplete, the remainder is just talk.   it is like the GOP hated the I3 data until it could be used to "highlight" donald...then all their demands for use of the I6 went away.

Here is the link to the tables from BLS:  https://www.bls.gov/bls/newsrels.htm     They appear to be stating a different story...but then the 20K jobs added in Feb are being ignored by RW - why is that?    Ask Kudlow and get crickets.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

BLS:  https://www.bls.gov/bls/newsrels.htm     They appear to be stating a different story...but then the 20K jobs added in Feb are being ignored by RW - why is that?    Ask Kudlow and get crickets.  

The FED pumped 4 trillion into the US economy over 10 years, the EU did the same, so did China I suspect, probably all the industrial nations did.

The EU and the US ended quantitative easing in 2018, it couldn't go on forever.

The party is over.

If you want to call the last ten years a party, I don't, I suspect most people would agree with me.

Honored Social Butterfly

So, here we are. Stability or instability with the economy. Will the current pace be maintained, or will it recede? I’m hearing a lot of folks saying get ready for it to decline. trump folks are saying record growth will continue, trump will solve all the problems, more tax cuts, rah rah rah. I think that the trump gang is wrong, but by the time I am proved right, too late, we’re in the tank!

Besides, I don’t trust trump economic advisors who smile the whole time that they are telling how great the economy is and will be. No thanks. 

Country over party

Honored Social Butterfly

So, here we are. Stability or instability with the economy. Will the current pace be maintained, or will it recede? I’m hearing a lot of folks saying get ready for it to decline. trump folks are saying record growth will continue, trump will solve all the problems, more tax cuts, rah rah rah. I think that the trump gang is wrong, but by the time I am proved right, too late, we’re in the tank!

Besides, I don’t trust trump economic advisors who smile the whole time that they are telling how great the economy is and will be. 

Country over party

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

I’m hearing a lot of folks saying get ready for it to decline.

Actually you are hearing lots of folks hoping it will decline. If not - get used to four more years of President Trump.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Manufacturing jobs still haven't recovered from 2008, could be they never will.

Manufacturing output is up, but that is due to automation not added jobs.

Note your chart says output per person or for all persons.

That doesn't mean more jobs, it means more output with less jobs.

Obama , Trump, China , to jobs going overseas doesn't get the credit or the blame.

It's the drive to reduce the cost of labor though machines, and it's a world wide competition.

That is where most of the jobs have gone.

Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

Obama , Trump, China , to jobs going overseas doesn't get the credit or the blame.

It's the drive to reduce the cost of labor though machines, and it's a world wide competition.

Since unemployment is at historic lows, I'd say things have recovered quite well.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Since unemployment is at historic lows, I'd say things have recovered quite well.

Manufacturing jobs haven't, which is what the topic is about.

However if we're talking about " things "  in the US, life expectancy has dropped, consumer debt has risen, half of Americans are in or near poverty , real median family income rose 1.4 % in 2017, and the inflation rate was 2.1 % .

We are eleven years into the current economic cycle, 23 trillion in debt, deficits are well over a trillion dollars a year with no end in sight, and at eleven years we're past due for a recession.

Poor people and what's left of the middle class don't have money, and the 1% want to keep their money. 

Democracy is under attack by the Republican Party, and the President is a useful idiot for hostile foreign powers.

Let's pop the corks!

Recognized Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

So you are saying manufacturing jobs have increased by 399%?  What uncherrypicked facts and figures can you use to pack that up?  As I said, and you have ignored, is that this opinion piece is talking about one sector of employment, you keep changing the conversation to all employment.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I did feel that something was being cherrypicked and did not give a more encompassing view...short term versus long term. I did look at figures for just manufacturing jobs, and yes, trump in 17 and 18 did have the increases in these jobs and over Obama’s numbers in 15 and 16, however Obama did in 11 and 14, have years of adding 200,000 per year...this is the short term additional manufacturing jobs, not total manufacturing jobs over the long term. 

Now, looking at the long term, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics for total manufacturing jobs,  if we look at the past 30+ years, the first item to recognize is that the largest decline was during the Bushjr years, until Obama took over that mess, and since 2010, jobs have been on a steady increase thru the Obama years, and now also into the trump years. And the graph shows this steady increase in total manufacturing jobs, the long term view. 

Also, to be noted, thru the Obama years many areas of the economy showed steady improvement and stability...long term view. 

trump adopted a fairly strong economy, and with increases there have been record levels set, but the short term comparisons are not showing the positive trends that were already in place. But is the trump economy stable?

And are we headed for declines?

Country over party

Honored Social Butterfly

Stables maybe, out 6 months. Once the trade issues are worked through then yes, stable ... and I believe they will be worked through. Employment ...we're at full employment now and I'm not sure that can get much better. Once wages start to go up I expect some rise in unemployment.

More work produces more payroll taxes and more workers produce more product and more sales tax. More is better. 7 million vacant jobs. Legal immigration!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

So you are saying manufacturing jobs have increased by 399%?  What uncherrypicked facts and figures can you use to pack that up?  As I said, and you have ignored, is that this opinion piece is talking about one sector of employment, you keep changing the conversation to all employment.

So, no. So, I am saying - Since unemployment is at historic lows, I'd say things have recovered quite well.

So, I am also saying that it appears Obama's new normal isn't the case and so I am also saying that his"magic wand" comment was an error.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

It's been suggested that "over regulation" was the reason the $2.3Trillion in TARP funds wasn't used by industry to expand their investments.

Just another GOPerLie. The TARP funds issued by jrbush and President Obama did not result in greater investment to ceate new jobs because the program was UNDER-regulated, allowing the Banksters to simply take the Government TARP money and buy Government Bonds. The funds were NEVER made available to Industry or anyone else to use to expand the economy with new investment - plant and equipment or even real estate.

In short, the problem with TARP was the Republican Corporate Oligarchs used it as ANOTHER huge "welfare hand-out to the incredibly wealthy" and the Republican Congress made sure that was all it would be.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

It's been suggested that "over regulation" was the reason the $2.3Trillion in TARP funds wasn't used by industry to expand their investments.

Just another GOPerLie. The TARP funds issued by jrbush and President Obama did not result in greater investment to ceate new jobs because the program was UNDER-regulated, allowing the Banksters to simply take the Government TARP money and buy Government Bonds. The funds were NEVER made available to Industry or anyone else to use to expand the economy with new investment - plant and equipment or even real estate.

In short, the problem with TARP was the Republican Corporate Oligarchs used it as ANOTHER huge "welfare hand-out to the incredibly wealthy" and the Republican Congress made sure that was all it would be.

Since Obama was deeply involved in TARP, does that make him an Oligarch? Or maybe even a Nazi.

Then there was Solyndra - a half Billion into the pockets of wealthy businessmen. Sounds sorta RWish.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

0 Kudos

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/18/politics/cnn-poll-trump-economy-tech/index.html

An OPINION poll does nothing to back up the author's premise that MANUFACTURING jobs are returning, especially when the poll doesn't even address that issue.

Honored Social Butterfly

More unhappiness. Is there a democrat happy for the average worker who has a job now? Democrats have seemed to abandon the average working Americans. Maybe now... anything good is bad? Is bad news good news?

I don't get it

0 Kudos

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
More unhappiness. Is there a democrat happy for the average worker who has a job now? Democrats have seemed to abandon the average working Americans. Maybe now... anything good is bad? Is bad news good news?

I don't get it

For me, it is not about happiness or unhappiness, it is about the premise of the article not matching the facts.  As I already said, the statistics he is using have been cherry-picked.  Also, since he is talking about 12% of the workforce using cherry-picked data, how does that mean that the average worker now has a job? 

There is nothing bad news about it, but the author is trying to associate causation and correlation.

Honored Social Butterfly

Tell me again how this applies to the GM plant closings. 

@Richva wrote:

All they did was use cherry-picked data to come up with a meaningless statistic.  What they don't want you to realize is that the number of manufacturing jobs created under Trump in 2017 and 2018 is basically the same as the number created under Obama in 2014 and 2015.  The Texas Public Policy Foundation think tank, are the authors of this OPINION piece (actually their President).

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

All they did was use cherry-picked data to come up with a meaningless statistic.  What they don't want you to realize is that the number of manufacturing jobs created under Trump in 2017 and 2018 is basically the same as the number created under Obama in 2014 and 2015.  The Texas Public Policy Foundation think tank, are the authors of this OPINION piece (actually their President).

And yet we have historical high employment and low unemployment.

Care to pick those cherries?

0 Kudos

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Look up the total number of manufacturing jobs added.  The numbers run from July of the previous to July of the next year.  In the two years listed as 2014, 2015 there was a little about 375,000 total jobs added.  In the two years listed as 2017 and 2018 there were about 380,000 total jobs added.  You can do a google search to get the exact numbers if you are interested.  This is just the author playing a "fun with statistics" game that has little to no relevance.  Since our population is growing, we should be having historical high employment every year.  You know the old business adage, if you are not growing then you are falling behind.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Look up the total number of manufacturing jobs added.  The numbers run from July of the previous to July of the next year.  In the two years listed as 2014, 2015 there was a little about 375,000 total jobs added.  In the two years listed as 2017 and 2018 there were about 380,000 total jobs added.  You can do a google search to get the exact numbers if you are interested.  This is just the author playing a "fun with statistics" game that has little to no relevance.  Since our population is growing, we should be having historical high employment every year.  You know the old business adage, if you are not growing then you are falling behind.

Let's try again - And yet we have historical high employment and low unemployment.

0 Kudos

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Let's try again - And yet we have historical high employment and low unemployment.

If you really don't understand the concepts of cherry-picked data and the fact that you need to keep growing just to stay even in a growing world, then there is no point in continuing this conversation.

How do you define "historical high employment"?  By number of people working (see my second point), or by percentage of people working (which it is not). 

How accurate the unemployment numbers is anybody's guess.  (I will agree with Trump when he was running on unemployment numbers).

As far as picking cherries, I already made my position clear, you have yet to state what your position is. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

If you really don't understand the concepts of cherry-picked data and the fact that you need to keep growing just to stay even in a growing world, then there is no point in continuing this conversation.

How do you define "historical high employment"?  By number of people working (see my second point), or by percentage of people working (which it is not). 

How accurate the unemployment numbers is anybody's guess.  (I will agree with Trump when he was running on unemployment numbers).

As far as picking cherries, I already made my position clear, you have yet to state what your position is. 

Based on the topic I am comparing it to the higher unemployment under Obama which he declared to be "the new normal". And then when Trump suggested we could do better, Obama scoffed at the idea with his "magic wand" comment.

0 Kudos

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Based on the topic I am comparing it to the higher unemployment under Obama which he declared to be "the new normal". And then when Trump suggested we could do better, Obama scoffed at the idea with his "magic wand" comment.

This author is specifically talking about MANUFACTURING jobs returning.  The facts don't fit their premise.  Even you have posted that automation will be eliminating jobs in the future.  When Obama spoke of a new normal. I interpreted that as saying that some industries will survive and others won't (the same as it always has been).

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png