Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump’s Ignorance Creates an International Crisis

Trump’s ignorance has created an international crisis

 

During the early morning hours of Sept. 15, 1950, Gen. Douglas MacArthur would lead U.S. troops on the most audacious amphibious landing in U.S. history. The assault at Inchon in South Korea was viewed beforehand as being so reckless that the Joint Chiefs of Staff dismissed the proposal out of hand. “We drew up a list of every conceivable and natural handicap,” one naval officer remembered later, “and Inchon had them all.”

 

To succeed, U.S. troops would have to navigate their way through a tortuous, heavily fortified channel before facing some of the most deadly tides in Asia. With U.S. soldiers pinned down on the southeastern tip of the Korean Peninsula, failure at Inchon could have led to total defeat in Korea.

MacArthur’s arrogant belief in his own infallibility allowed him to see opportunity where others saw only peril. But the legendary general brought more than a bloated ego to battle; he also carried with him a mastery of military history and, with it, the knowledge of Japan’s successful 1904 landing at the same treacherous port. That insight served MacArthur well and reversed, almost overnight, the grim trajectory of America’s so-called Forgotten War.

 

President Trump’s decision last week to assassinate the most powerful military figure in the Middle East was, likewise, audacious. But unlike MacArthur at Inchon, Trump likely did not grasp the gravity of his decision. How could he? The former reality-TV star has long been ignorant of world history and current events. During a 2015 interview, then-candidate Trump did not even know who Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani was. After prompting, Trump mistakenly identified the Iranian general as a Kurdish commander. Once Trump’s ignorance was revealed, the frustrated candidate weakly attacked the interviewer for “throwing around names of people and where they live.”

 

The danger posed by that ignorance is matched daily by the crises created by Trump’s own erraticism. His performance as commander in chief has been shaped by a collection of scattered grievances, emotional impulses and random tweets. As the Financial Times’s Philip Stephens has said of Trump’s foreign policy, “Looking for a framework is like searching for symmetrical patterns in a bowl of spaghetti.”

 

This is, after all, a president who spent last summer withholding military aid from a besieged democratic ally while pressuring its leaders to investigate a political opponent. Then, stepping in front of a bank of White House cameras, he asked the same of China. Trump also declared himself “The Chosen One” while embracing the title of “King of Israel,” ordered American companies to leave China, manipulated U.S. markets by lying about phone calls with leaders of that same country and canceled bilateral meetings with a NATO leader because she refused to sell Greenland.

 

Trump’s increasingly erratic behavior received much attention at the time, with the Associated Press’s Jonathan Lemire and Zeke Miller noting in July that the United States’ foreign policy had become unmoored after Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats and others were driven from the administration. Jeffrey Goldberg, editor of the Atlantic, followed with an article appropriately titled “He’s Getting Worse,” in which he glumly noted that “there is no reason to hope that he will reform. His followers reward his radicalism and his handlers are among the most cynical figures in American political history.”

 

We now find ourselves living through a time when those same administration officials are providing reckless counsel to an ignorant and erratic president. Though he shares MacArthur’s sense of infallibility, Trump spends most of his waking hours showing the world just how fallible he is. Critics have long warned of a time when this fatally flawed man would be forced to confront an international crisis.

 

That time has arrived and it is a crisis of Trump’s own making.

 
Contrary to the vows of candidate Trump, it is likely that the killing of Soleimani will now only deepen U.S. involvement in a region that has already claimed too many American lives. With Russia firmly ensconced in Syria, Iraqi discontent on the rise and Iran’s nuclear program restarted, expect more Americans to die across the Middle East in the coming years. With his audacious attack, Trump has further isolated the United States from its allies, provided a lifeline to Iran’s terrorist regime and broken yet another of his campaign promises.

 

Inchon this is not.

 

Trump’s ignorance has created an international crisis 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

The only POSSIBLE good thing about tRump assassinating a foreign leader is it MIGHT finally get all our Troops OUT OF IRAQ! Too bad it'll be because Iraq told them to leave and not because they acheived any stability or effective rebuilding of the infrastructure jrbush destroyed while grabbing the oil.

 

Does anyone actually believe donny's action has NOT placed virtually all Americans at greater risk?

 

Oh yeah - and now Iran is going to build Nukes - won't that be "special" for our allies in the regeon?

 

Can some GOPerBot explain how, if killing Soleimani was such a good idea, not a single World Leader has congratulated tRump?

Honored Social Butterfly


@Olderscout66 wrote:

The only POSSIBLE good thing about tRump assassinating a foreign leader is it MIGHT finally get all our Troops OUT OF IRAQ! Too bad it'll be because Iraq told them to leave and not because they acheived any stability or effective rebuilding of the infrastructure jrbush destroyed while grabbing the oil.

 

Does anyone actually believe donny's action has NOT placed virtually all Americans at greater risk?

 

Oh yeah - and now Iran is going to build Nukes - won't that be "special" for our allies in the regeon?

 

Can some GOPerBot explain how, if killing Soleimani was such a good idea, not a single World Leader has congratulated tRump?


lol.... they use instant messaging. Don't be silly. 

 

The trap is set, the cheese is there, why put out more cheese to kill rats? Like I've said before... once the intelligence reveals a viable nuke (probably shipped from North Korea) Iran will be turned into glass, by the Israeli's. 

 

The only salvation for the Iranians is hoping a bunker buster that Obama had built as a plan "B" and then sent to Israel by president Trump.... works as planned.

 

Otherwise Israel will destroy the Iranians. The only way out for the Iranians at this point,  is to commit to no nukes, enter the world community as a friendly nation, end their terror programs and commit to peace. 

 

 

 


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Moderator
Moderator

Hello everyone,

 

Whilst we welcome robust debate, we ask that everyone abides by the guidelines.

 

Please be respectful and refrain from making hateful and/or incendiary comments. You are free to express your opinions, but you must do so in a way that respects the opinions of others.

https://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

0 Kudos
468 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I for one are applauding the continuous ignorance of this President.  He really thinks that he is KING  of the US.   and thinks that he can act as he pleases. I am applauding his new tactic  to leave our soldiers in Iraq  I am applauding his actions not to provide a visa to the Iranian member of NATO and prohibits a NATO member to  attend a meeting in NATO international ground, I am applauding all the imbecilities that he will do  on this issue.  and will continue to cheer him on to commit more idiotic and illegal actions that could really bring about  very strong actions of the World community. 
so, cheer with me,. the idiot in the White House needs a forum let's give him one.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Contributor

So you like the idea of these people going around killing not just Americans but many other people ?So let's not kill those that want to destroy America and it's people.You need to do some research .Also it was your by Biden when he was VP that was going to hold money back unless they fired the person investigating his son.It was proven that Trump did nothing illegal.TRUMP 2020

Esteemed Social Butterfly


@antiredsox wrote:

So you like the idea of these people going around killing not just Americans but many other people ?So let's not kill those that want to destroy America and it's people.You need to do some research .Also it was your by Biden when he was VP that was going to hold money back unless they fired the person investigating his son.It was proven that Trump did nothing illegal.TRUMP 2020


Okay, let's do some research:

 

Trump has claimed that Biden in 2015 pressured the Ukrainian government to fire Viktor Shokin, the top Ukrainian prosecutor, because he was investigating a Ukrainian gas producer, Burisma Holdings, that had added Biden’s son Hunter to its board. But it turns out that the investigation had already been shelved when Biden acted and may have even involved a side company, not Burisma. The Ukrainian prosecutor was regarded as a failure, and “Joe Biden’s efforts to oust Shokin were universally praised,” said Anders Aslund, a Swedish economist heavily involved in Eastern European market reforms.

Moreover, Yuri Lutsenko, a former Ukrainian prosecutor general who succeeded the fired prosecutor, told Bloomberg News that there was no evidence of wrongdoing by Joe or Hunter Biden.

More...

 

But, as noted, Biden’s action was coordinated with other major players in the region and celebrated at the time because Shokin was widely seen as a failure.

Bloomberg reported that “the U.S. plan to push for Shokin’s dismissal didn’t initially come from Biden, but rather filtered up from officials at the U.S. Embassy in Kiev, according to a person with direct knowledge of the situation.” In the same month Biden traveled to Ukraine, Bloomberg also reported, “hundreds of Ukrainians demonstrated outside President Petro Poroshenko’s office demanding Shokin’s resignation, and he was dismissed.”

Source: Fact-checking Trump’s latest claims on Biden and Ukraine

 

This source is from the Washington Post, but feel free to research on your own.

 

Trump was proven to have done nothing illegal? 

Is that spelled I-M-P-E-A-C-H-E-D? 

Your opinion, no proof.  But don't worry, things look good for your side.  Mitch and Lindsey have already rendered the verdict.

Honored Social Butterfly

We can only hope Dopey Gropey Joe is the dem candidate. Truth be told... it doesn't matter who the dems pick... it's a clown car.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
399 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:
We can only hope Dopey Gropey Joe is the dem candidate. Truth be told... it doesn't matter who the dems pick... it's a clown car.

But then an actual "clown" could beat tRump in the next election. Maybe even a Barbie Doll could !

 


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
We can only hope Dopey Gropey Joe is the dem candidate. Truth be told... it doesn't matter who the dems pick... it's a clown car.

But then an actual "clown" could beat tRump in the next election. Maybe even a Barbie Doll could !

 


Maybe a smart clown but you don't have any running!

0 Kudos
682 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
We can only hope Dopey Gropey Joe is the dem candidate. Truth be told... it doesn't matter who the dems pick... it's a clown car.

But then an actual "clown" could beat tRump in the next election. Maybe even a Barbie Doll could !

 


Maybe a smart clown but you don't have any running!


Thing is .... all of them are smarter than the clown in the White House.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Back on track... please watch and listen to Iranians! Understand there are people in Iran who are celebrating!

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C888mSyD7s&feature=emb_logo


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
690 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@antiredsox wrote:

So you like the idea of these people going around killing not just Americans but many other people ?So let's not kill those that want to destroy America and it's people.You need to do some research .Also it was your by Biden when he was VP that was going to hold money back unless they fired the person investigating his son.It was proven that Trump did nothing illegal.TRUMP 2020


haha1.jpg

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Sometimes you have to flush the rats out, get em where you want them. Big rat is dead, next please.

As an example ... ISIS became empowered and began "gathering". As a terrorist entity they were more formidable scattered, hard to find, lots of human resources used to find them, time money and little success. The rats were scattered and moving about freely. Put out the cheese... and BOOM!

The cowards of Iran NOW know where the red line is. To be clear, this is not the Obama red line, this one is clear, easy to see, understandable and has severe consequences.


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Sometimes you have to flush the rats out, get em where you want them. Big rat is dead, next please.

 

Sometimes uneducated and racist individuals elect the biggest rat to represent them and live with a LOT of protection in the White House.....

 

Image result for rat in the white house

 

Trump Won Because Voters Are Ignorant, Literally 

 

Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump 

 

Another Study Shows Trump Won Because of Racial Anxieties — Not Economic Distress 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Contributor

You are so very brainwashed .First off I am not a racist and there is no proof that Trump is .Trump won because people wanted to make America Great Again .And he is doing just that.So answer my question, what do you not like about our booming economy, fair trade, energy independence,less people on welfare,lowest unemployment in many years,border security,just to name a few?TRUMP 2020

Honored Social Butterfly


@antiredsox wrote:

You are so very brainwashed .  You should address a person, not the entire forum, unless you are suggesting everyone here is brainwashed.  You DO know Sean Hannity brainwashed many with his Russian lies about Seth Rich, don't you?  Were YOU Brainwashed?

 

First off I am not a racist Really?  Did anyone say you were?  If so, maybe you should address that person instead of an entire internet forum of readers.  Ya think?

 

and there is no proof that Trump is .  LMAO.   Maybe you can explain these....

 

Donald Trump’s long history of racism, from the 1970s to 2019 

 

Trump Condemned Racism As ‘Evil.’ Here Are 20 Times He Embraced It. 

 

Trump's Racist Rhetoric Might Be Hurting His 2020 Re-Election Chances 

 

Data show America’s future is more “squad” than “send her back” 

 

'This Is a Distraction.' Republicans Worry Trump's Racist Comments Will Hurt Him in 2020 

 

Why do Trump’s supporters deny the racism that seems so evident to Democrats? 

 

Maybe you would be better served by READING other views than listen to Fox tell you what to think.  We already have one "dotard" in the White House.

 

Trump won because people wanted to make America Great Again .   Are you suggesting America wasn't great?  If so, what wasn't great compared to the rest of the world.  Do you think the most racially divided period in the last 40 years is GREAT?  Why is that?  Do you think the divisiveness between parties is GREAT???  Do you think your defending an obvious liar and bigot and racist and adulterer is GREAT?  Some have morals and values and actually live them.

 

And he is doing just that.  So you falsely claim.....

 

So answer my question, Do you answer the questions posed to you?  Why not?

 

what do you not like about our booming economy,,,,,we have mortgaged our children's and our grand-children's future.  Are you OK with that???  

 

fair trade, LOL.  Really?   Seen how many farmers are going bankrupt?  Do you think that's "fair"?

 

energy independence,  LOL.....we aren't independent.  If we were, we wouldn't be kissing Saudi Arabia's rear.....to wit:

 

The Myth of U.S. Energy Independence Has Gone Up in Smoke 

 

Again, Fox Viewers wouldn't be so ill-informed if the would just turn the channel......

 

Now, how about getting some facts instead of just spewing trumps propaganda?  Brainwashed?  Wasn't that your term?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@antiredsox wrote:

You are so very brainwashed .  You should address a person, not the entire forum, unless you are suggesting everyone here is brainwashed.  You DO know Sean Hannity brainwashed many with his Russian lies about Seth Rich, don't you?  Were YOU Brainwashed?

 

First off I am not a racist Really?  Did anyone say you were?  If so, maybe you should address that person instead of an entire internet (SIC) forum of readers.  Ya think?

 

and there is no proof that Trump is .  LMAO. (SIC)  Maybe you can explain these....

 

Donald Trump’s long history of racism, from the 1970s to 2019 

 

Trump Condemned Racism As ‘Evil.’ Here Are 20 Times He Embraced It. 

 

Trump's Racist Rhetoric Might Be Hurting His 2020 Re-Election Chances 

 

Data show America’s future is more “squad” than “send her back” 

 

'This Is a Distraction.' Republicans Worry Trump's Racist Comments Will Hurt Him in 2020 

 

Why do Trump’s supporters deny the racism that seems so evident to Democrats? 

 

Maybe you would be better served by READING other views than listen to Fox tell you what to think.  We already have one "dotard" in the White House.

 

Trump won because people wanted to make America Great Again .   Are you suggesting America wasn't great?  If so, what wasn't great compared to the rest of the world.  Do you think the most racially divided period in the last 40 years is GREAT?  Why is that?  Do you think the divisiveness between parties is GREAT???  Do you think your defending an obvious liar and bigot and racist and adulterer is GREAT?  Some have morals and values and actually live them.

 

And he is doing just that.  So you falsely claim.....

 

So answer my question, Do you answer the questions posed to you?  Why not?

 

what do you not like about our booming economy,,,,,we have mortgaged our children's and our grand-children's future.  Are you OK with that???  

 

fair trade, LOL.  Really?   Seen how many farmers are going bankrupt?  Do you think that's "fair"?

 

energy independence,  LOL.....we aren't independent.  If we were, we wouldn't be kissing Saudi Arabia's rear.....to wit:

 

The Myth of U.S. Energy Independence Has Gone Up in Smoke 

 

Again, Fox Viewers wouldn't be so ill-informed if the would just turn the channel......

 

Now, how about getting some facts instead of just spewing trumps propaganda?  Brainwashed?  Wasn't that your term?


Still having trouble putting together a complete thought?

 

 

 

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Some on the left can only think and comprehend a few words or less so that's how they respond to posts.

Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Some on the left can only think and comprehend a few words or less so that's how they respond to posts.


Reality is that tRump incessantly posts short tweets to appeal to his simple minded base because all they can comprehend is short tweets and Russian generated memes on social media.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Some on the left can only think and comprehend a few words or less so that's how they respond to posts.


Reality is that tRump incessantly posts short tweets to appeal to his simple minded base because all they can comprehend is short tweets and Russian generated memes on social media.


Many on the left (forum members) do that so their dumb Democrats can understand or is it they can't put together a coherent thought?

0 Kudos
418 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Some on the left can only think and comprehend a few words or less so that's how they respond to posts.


Reality is that tRump incessantly posts short tweets to appeal to his simple minded base because all they can comprehend is short tweets and Russian generated memes on social media.


Many on the left (forum members) do that so their dumb Democrats can understand or is it they can't put together a coherent thought?


tRump's ignorance truly has created an International Crisis. Notice that none of our Allies have praised his actions, that speaks volumes. All tRump supporters have is to deny, distract and/or discredit as in insults like "dumb Democrats". The denial distraction and discrediting isn't working, our Allies haven't came out in support of tRump's actions. His actions in foreign policy and global affairs truly shows his immense ignorance, he puts the welfare of the United States and our allies in jeopardy. I hope this post wasn't too long, I've tried to keep it short.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Amazing how the opportunity for peace is right there for the taking. Any anti president Trump'ers want to make a prediction?

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
403 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Sometimes you have to flush the rats out, get em where you want them. Big rat is dead, next please.

 

Sometimes uneducated and racist individuals elect the biggest rat to represent them and live with a LOT of protection in the White House.....

 

Image result for rat in the white house

 

Trump Won Because Voters Are Ignorant, Literally 

 

Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump 

 

Another Study Shows Trump Won Because of Racial Anxieties — Not Economic Distress 


Y'all are definitely stuck in a vicious cycle of repeating and then regurgitating the same foul fodder.  

 

 


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Sometimes you have to flush the rats out, get em where you want them. Big rat is dead, next please.

 

Sometimes uneducated and racist individuals elect the biggest rat to represent them and live with a LOT of protection in the White House.....

 

 

 

Trump Won Because Voters Are Ignorant, Literally 

 

Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump 

 

Another Study Shows Trump Won Because of Racial Anxieties — Not Economic Distress 


Y'all are definitely stuck in a vicious cycle of repeating and then regurgitating the same foul fodder.  

 

 

 

After the international fiasco. of Trump's actions in Iran and the response of the Iran Goverment.  I can only say. that we should all cheer  the idiot in the White House in order to make him believe that he is such an amazing genuous.  Cheer him pretty please. and laugh.

 

haha1.jpg


 

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

To the name calling trump supporters...

where is the proof of trump's imminent threat...versus the multiple choice list that he was given to choose from?

Multiple choice lists are not proof. 


Senator Lee said that this was one of worst briefings he has ever been a part of. Especially when he was told he shouldn't talk about it or discuss it....

without real proof!

Honored Social Butterfly


@williamb39198 wrote:

To the name calling trump supporters...

where is the proof of trump's imminent threat...versus the multiple choice list that he was given to choose from?

Multiple choice lists are not proof. 


Senator Lee said that this was one of worst briefings he has ever been a part of. Especially when he was told he shouldn't talk about it or discuss it....

without real proof!


I wasn't at the briefing and neither were you... so we get to pick what we believe or wwe can wait to reach conclusions, until we actually know something. However what do we know already?

*He is a dead murdering  terrorist

*The Iranians missed on purpose

*We have a "possible" opportunity for peace

*More santions imposed

*We ask NATO for more engagement in the middle east and the head of NATO agrees

*The Iranians know what the red line actually is and the consequences for crossing it

*No further military operations "at this time". 

 

There's more we KNOW, but we don't know the actual intelligence. Opinions seem to be filtered through a political prism. I'm not doing that. I want facts, not speculation. What I know is the dems feelings get hurt a lot and they lash out often for everything, just like y'all on these boards. 

 


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
625 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:


I wasn't at the briefing and neither were you...

 


Nope, but these two Republicans were:

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/insulting-demeaning-lawmakers-rip-trump-administration-aft...


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 

Just for the record, I watched Sen Lee state that. He was at the briefing. This was not speculation. 

0 Kudos
596 Views
2
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png