With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump's False Claim - - - Wall Made El Paso Safe

Message 11 of 27

@RobertH489899 wrote:

The El Paso border fence was rebuilt in 2007-2008 via the Secure Fence Act of 2006.  Crime has gone down in the city since that fence completion.  That is fact told to me personally by long time residents that live in El Paso.  I will believe them before any other source!

So your ... was it 65 residents???????........ told you one thing despite:

(1) Who knows what neighborhood they lived in.

(2) Who knows what age demographic they were.

(3) Who knows how long they lived in El Paso.

(4) Who knows what ethnicity they are.

(5) Who knows when you carried on these conversations.

Sixty-Five measly residents out of 683,000 residents (.000095 of the population) "tell you" that the local law enforcement, the FBI, the Republican Mayor, and the Democratic representative are all wrong.

Sixty-Five measly residents out of 683,000 residents (.000095 of the population) tell you all the crime statistics are in error and INDIVIDUAL-1'S statements are correct.

Come on, let's get the real truth.

The only sixty-five residents that would agree with INDIVIDUAL-1 would be sixty-five residents who are followers of INDIVIDUAL-1.

It is again a characteristic of a CULT..... where what is said by the CULT LEADER is taken as truth regardless of what others say............ because those others are OUTSIDE THE CULT.

In this case, only your sixty-five residents and INDIVIDUAL-1 himself says THE WALL made a difference.

That the wall didn't make a difference is the truth.

Side note: Crime went up as the wall was being built.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 27

Lets try to be honest. The FBI stats show violent crime was on the decline for years prior to the wall being built and to be completely honest violent crime actually went up slightly after the wall was completed.

HMMM.....

Politifact.com confirms that the President is spreading a falsehood.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 27

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@easyed598 wrote:

According to the FBI  link that Chasky posted to make her point found that in 1993 there were 6568 violent crimes in El Paso. Since the wall has been built more than a decade ago the violent crime rate dropped to 2949 in 2014.  This kind of goes in the face that El Paso was always a safe city even before there was a wall and now  having  a much larger  population from 1993.

Crime has fallen nationally since 1994.  As to the wall, coincidence does not equal causation. Especially in light of the national crime trend.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/04/what-caused-the-crime-decline/477408/

http://info.mstservices.com/blog/trends-in-juvenile-crime

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Thank you M. P.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 27

@easyed598 wrote:

According to the FBI  link that Chasky posted to make her point found that in 1993 there were 6568 violent crimes in El Paso. Since the wall has been built more than a decade ago the violent crime rate dropped to 2949 in 2014.  This kind of goes in the face that El Paso was always a safe city even before there was a wall and now  having  a much larger  population from 1993.

According to what easyed598 put in her post show that she doesn't know the history of this. Crime was steadily declining long before the wall was built (for almost two decades). The people in El Paso know this and are disgrunteld over trump's lies about it.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 27

@RobertH489899 wrote:

@Olderscout66 

The El Paso border fence was rebuilt in 2007-2008 via the Secure Fence Act of 2006.  Crime has gone down in the city since that fence completion.  That is fact told to me personally by long time residents that live in El Paso.  I will believe them before any other source!

Long-term residents keep detailed crime statistics? WOW - who'dathukit - they must be the folks who gave lil donny the numbers he ranted about that have been proven to be flat-out LIES. Seems its not just the CIA/NSA/NRO/FBI who donny thinks he has better sources... NOT!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 27

@Olderscout66 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 27

@easyed598 wrote:

Crime has fallen nationally since 1994.  As to the wall, coincidence does not equal causation. Especially in light of the national crime trend.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/04/what-caused-the-crime-decline/477408/

http://info.mstservices.com/blog/trends-in-juvenile-crime

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 27

It is possible to find reports leaning both ways on the subject of El Paso TX and the border wall there.

Let me give you some first hand knowledge.  I just happen to live in the area and had the priviledge of working with about 65 residents of El Paso for over the past 40 years during my carreer which ended this past December. 

In conversation with these people I asked about just such topics, crime rate,  drug smuggling, human traffiicking, illegals, etc.  All the topics now in the news.  What I heard from them supports all that I hear President Trump say.  Crime rate went down after the border fence was installed, as well as crime in general, auto theft which before was rampant drop to low single digits, drug trafficking went way down.  The number of illeegals dropped in large numbers as well.

As for my own place of residence, I have seen crime increase dramatically over the past 10 years.  Some so violent they remind me of third world country crimes I have read about or seen on the news!  So go ahead a believe what you want.  I live here and I believe what I hear from reliable sources and see with my own two eyes!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 27

@easyed598 wrote:

Seems leaving facts out is a Republican thing. That fence between el Paso and Tijuana (14 miles of it) was put up in 1990, so if those 1993 stats are the high water mark for violent crime, seems the claim a physical barrier makes us safer is total hogwash and balderdash.

lil donny wants HIS worthless wall in the desert where it will only impede poor brown people yearning to breath free.

It will not concern a single drug smuggler (who brings the dope in truckloads which need roads which cross at those under-manned ports of entry) or terrorists who have the Saudi's buy them 1st class airline tickets.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 27

Marty Robbins - El Paso - YouTube                    No wall back in the old west days listen what happen.

Kudos
Views