Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump's Appointing a "Border Czar"

Message 1 of 15

Oh please stop....the RW has loved to hate czars, when in fact that was mostly an unofficial title, at least in the Obama Administration when the so-called czars all had official titles like deputy secretary or under secretary.    Proving that some are never able to undo the twist that happens when they latch onto a term and merely look very uneducated when the titles were pointed out in 08-09.

Hilariously, Homan has said NOPE.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15
You are on a kick that will not go anywhere. This list is just a small part of a very long list ... from the MEDIA!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._executive_branch_czars

The following are executive branch officials who have been described by the media as a czar of some kind.

Czar title Official title Office holder Tenure Type of Appointment Appointing Administration Senate Confirmed
AfPak czar, Afghanistan and Pakistan czar Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan Holbrooke, Richard[1] 2009–2010 President appointed Barack Obama
AIDS czar National AIDS Policy Coordinator, Member of White House Domestic Policy Council Gebbie, Kristine[2] 1993–1994 President appointed Bill Clinton
AIDS czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy Fleming, Patricia[3] 1993–1997 President appointed Bill Clinton
AIDS czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy, Presidential Envoy for AIDS Cooperation Thurman, Sandra[4] 1997–2000 President appointed Bill Clinton
AIDS czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy Evertz, Scott[5] 2001–2002 President appointed George W. Bush
AIDS czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy O'Neill, Joe[6] 2002–2003 President appointed George W. Bush
AIDS czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy Thompson, Carol[7] 2004–2006 President appointed George W. Bush
AIDS czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy Crowley, Jeffrey[8] 2009–2012 President appointed Barack Obama
AIDS czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy Colfax, Grant[9] 2012–2014 President appointed Barack Obama
AIDS czar Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy Brooks, Douglas[10] 2014–2016 President appointed Barack Obama
anti-poverty czar, poverty czar Director of Office of Economic Opportunity Shriver, Sargent[11] 1965–1969 President nominated, Senate confirmed Lyndon Johnson ✓
Asian Carp czar Asian Carp Director, Council on Environmental Quality Goss, John[12] 2010–present Council on Environmental Quality selected Barack Obama
auto czar, car czar Treasury Advisor, Head of the Auto Task Force Rattner, Steve[13] 2009 Feb–Jul Sec. of Treasury appointed Barack Obama
auto czar, car czar Senior Advisor President's Automotive Task Force Bloom, Ron[14] 2009–present President appointed Barack Obama
auto recovery czar, autoworker czar Member Presidential Task Force on the Auto Industry, Director of Recovery for Auto Communities and Workers Montgomery, Ed[15] 2009–present President appointed Barack Obama
bank bailout czar, Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) czar United States Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Financial Stability, Senior Advisor to Secretary of the Treasury Kashkari, Neel.[16] 2008–2009 (New position), President nominated, Senate confirmed George W. Bush ✓
bank bailout czar, TARP czar United States Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Financial Stability Allison, Herbert[17] 2009–2013 President nominated, Senate confirmed Barack Obama ✓
bioethics czar Advisor to the President, Chairman of The President's Council on Bioethics Kass, Leon[18] 2001–2005 (New position), Exec order, President appointed George W. Bush
bird flu czar Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services, Advisor to the President for Public Health Emergency Preparedness Simonson, Stewart[19] 2004–2006 (New position), President appointed George W. Bush
birth control czar Deputy Assistant Secretary of Population Affairs, Department of Health and Human Services Keroack, Eric[20] 2006–2007 President appointed George W. Bush
border czar U.S. attorney and Special Representative for the Southwest Border, Department of Justice Bersin, Alan[21] 1995–1998 President nominated, Senate confirmed as U.S. Attorney, Appointed as Special Representative Bill Clinton ✓
border czar Assistant Secretary for International Affairs, Special Representative for Border Affairs, Dept of Homeland Security, Bersin, Alan[22] 2009–present Sec of Homeland Security appointed Barack Obama
budget czar Director of the Office of Management and Budget Daniels, Mitchell E.[23] 2001–2003 President nominated, Senate Confirmed George W. Bush ✓
budget czar Director of the Office of Management and Budget Bolten, Joshua[24] 2003–2006 President nominated, Senate confirmed George W. Bush ✓
budget czar Director of the Office of Management and Budget Portman, Rob[25] 2006–2007 President nominated, Senate confirmed George W. Bush ✓
cleanup czar Special Assistant Attorney General (to investigate corruption) Morris, Newbold[26] 1952, fired after 63 days by Atty General for demanding records access; AG then forced to resign by President Truman Attorney General appointed Harry Truman
cleanup czar Assistant Secretary for Environmental Management, Department of Energy (nuclear cleanup) Roberson, Jessie[27] 2001–2004 President nominated, Senate confirmed George W. Bush ✓
cleanup czar Assistant Secretary for Environmental Management, Department of Energy (nuclear cleanup) Rispoli, James[28] 2005–2008 Sec. of Energy appointed, Senate confirmed George W. Bush ✓
climate czar Assistant to the President and Staff Secretary, President's Coordinator for Climate Change, Senior negotiator at Kyoto and Beuenos Aires negottiations Todd D. Stern[29] 1997–1999 President appointed Bill Clinton
climate czar Special Envoy for Climate Change Stern, Todd D.[30] 2009 Sec. of State appointed Barack Obama
climate czar, energy czar, global warming czar Assistant to the President for Energy and Climate Change Browner, Carol[31] 2009–2011 (New position) Barack Obama

=========================================================

Yes, Trump did appoint a "Border Czar"...live with it and move on to important issues like the number of homeless. etc.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

@lj9807492 wrote:

Please go back and read my origin post. I didn't say the media used that term. I said Trump did. Watch it on Fox and Friends. During a freewheeling “Fox and Friends” interview on Friday, Trump announced that Homan would serve as the "Border Czar" and be “very much involved in the border.”

And, yes, I did contact via e-mail Fox, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and NBC. I also contacted my state and federal Senators, and House Reps. I sent a tweet to Trump, but that was a total waste of time. 

With Russia's interference in the 2016 election (read the Mueller Report, please), and Trump cozing up to Putin, this was the last straw for me. How long are we going to close our eyes and ears and pretend that this is all okay because it's the "new normal." 

Hate to break the news to you but Trump has been this way all his business life, and it has been well documented. We got just what was voted for in the electoral college so no one should be surprised. He ran a Mob business where he was the King, Dicator, Czar take your pick. Now is the time for all to work to get rid of our Dictator and everyone with an R behind their name in the 2020 election if we have one.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

Please go back and read my origin post. I didn't say the media used that term. I said Trump did. Watch it on Fox and Friends. During a freewheeling “Fox and Friends” interview on Friday, Trump announced that Homan would serve as the "Border Czar" and be “very much involved in the border.”

And, yes, I did contact via e-mail Fox, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and NBC. I also contacted my state and federal Senators, and House Reps. I sent a tweet to Trump, but that was a total waste of time. 

With Russia's interference in the 2016 election (read the Mueller Report, please), and Trump cozing up to Putin, this was the last straw for me. How long are we going to close our eyes and ears and pretend that this is all okay because it's the "new normal." 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

I think this guy is also on the list being considered:

Emptylord Yosemite-SamYosemite Sam (originally voiced by Mel Blanc,
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

@lj9807492 wrote:

You're leaving a lot out to suit your purpose. You got that from Wikipedia, but you failed to show the captions above that, which said: 

"In the United States, the informal political term "czar" or "tsar" is employed in media and popular usage to refer to high-level officials who oversee a particular policy. There have never been any U.S. government offices with the title "czar", but various governmental officials have sometimes been referred to by the nickname "czar" rather than their actual title.
The earliest known use of the term for a U.S. government official was in the administration of Franklin Roosevelt (1933–1945), during which eleven unique positions (or twelve if one were to count "Economic Czar" and "Economic Czar of World War II" as separate) were so described. The term was revived, mostly by the press, to describe officials in the Nixon and Ford administrations and continues today.The list is subjective and imprecise, since frequently individuals or offices might be referred to by the nickname "czar" by some publication or a political opponent, yet the actual governmental official, a majority of publications and others do not use the term. One possible definition is only those officials who are appointed by the president without Senate confirmation."

Actual titles were: Special Representative, Counselor, Special Envoy, Director, Advisor, Assistant Secretary, but NEVER did a president officially give the title "Czar" to an appointee. Even the term "Drug Czar" was an informal name, and not the actual title.  

However - there is absolutely no doubt that the informally named "Border Czar" will be a racist...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15
lj9807492 posted..

Actual titles were: Special Representative, Counselor, Special Envoy, Director, Advisor, Assistant Secretary, but NEVER did a president officially give the title "Czar" to an appointee. Even the term "Drug Czar" was an informal name, and not the actual title.

============================================================

Tell that to the media.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

Do you live along the border? Do you see a bunch of refugees running around on your streets? I live in the midwest, and, yes, I see Hispanics. I don't know if they're here illegally, or if they have green cards. What I do see is them doing jobs that others refuse to do. In the grocery stores, I see them buying lots of fruits and vegetables, cheap cuts of meat, and have yet to see any kind of alcohol in their carts. They're not listed in the local newpaper police reports for disturbing the peace, abuse, robbery . . . nothing. There was an episode where an egg farm in another county was raided because they were knowingly hiring illegals to work there, some as young as 13 years old. If you want to control illegal immigration, then (1) stop putting a border band-aid on it, and look to the cause of them leaving. Do something about that. And (2) punish the American companies that use mediums to smuggle people across the border to work for them. I suggest shutting those companies down after 2 infractions. If you don't, they'll continue to hire the cheapest labor they can get. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

I just hope the guy stops the practice of dumping refugees on our streets.  We need someone who can read and has an IQ above "moron" running the border. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

You're leaving a lot out to suit your purpose. You got that from Wikipedia, but you failed to show the captions above that, which said: 

"In the United States, the informal political term "czar" or "tsar" is employed in media and popular usage to refer to high-level officials who oversee a particular policy. There have never been any U.S. government offices with the title "czar", but various governmental officials have sometimes been referred to by the nickname "czar" rather than their actual title.
The earliest known use of the term for a U.S. government official was in the administration of Franklin Roosevelt (1933–1945), during which eleven unique positions (or twelve if one were to count "Economic Czar" and "Economic Czar of World War II" as separate) were so described. The term was revived, mostly by the press, to describe officials in the Nixon and Ford administrations and continues today.The list is subjective and imprecise, since frequently individuals or offices might be referred to by the nickname "czar" by some publication or a political opponent, yet the actual governmental official, a majority of publications and others do not use the term. One possible definition is only those officials who are appointed by the president without Senate confirmation."

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors