Honored Social Butterfly

Trump's Administration's Insidious Ploy: Decision To Cut Census Short = Dire Consequences

'An insidious ploy': Trump admin's decision to cut census short could have dire consequences
Undercounting populations like Black Americans and Native tribes could skew the balance of power in the U.S. for years to come.

Aug. 8, 2020, 5:05 AM CDT
By Dartunorro Clark

In 2017, a government watchdog agency placed the 2020 census on its "high-risk" list — sounding the alarm to the public and lawmakers that the vital decennial count faced near-insurmountable odds.

The initial company printing the forms went bankrupt. There were cybersecurity weaknesses as the census moved online for the first time, hiring shortfalls, cutbacks to crucial operational testing, and the Trump administration’s failed attempt to add a citizenship question disrupted the all-too-important head count.

Now, as a global coronavirus pandemic upends the American economy and daily life, the census faces a logistical nightmare to avoid what experts say could become a 10-year mistake that skews the balance of power in the U.S. for years to come.

On Monday, the Census Bureau announced it would end its count one month early, on Sept. 30. The move created consternation among researchers, demographers, civil rights organizations, local community leaders, and immigrant rights groups.

"Even under the best of circumstances, the census is an enormously challenging and very, very difficult operation," said Chris Mihm, the managing director for strategic issues at the Government Accountability Office, a watchdog agency. "When you impose late design changes on that, it just gets exponentially riskier."  "And it's once a decade," he added. "There are no do-overs."

Steven Dillingham, the Census Bureau director, said in a statement on the bureau's website that the agency is ending all of its counting efforts on Sept. 30, which means all enumerators who are door-knocking to collect responses from people who have not already self-responded online, by mail or by phone will halt their efforts then. He said the self-response options will also close on that date while giving assurances that the agency would strive for accuracy.

Meanwhile, roughly 63 percent of households have responded, according to the Census Bureau. There are 58 million households yet to be counted, and the agency now has roughly seven weeks to count them all.

MORE at link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/insidious-ploy-trump-admin-s-decision-cut-census-shor...

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:
'An insidious ploy': Trump admin's decision to cut census short could have dire consequences
Undercounting populations like Black Americans and Native tribes could skew the balance of power in the U.S. for years to come.

Aug. 8, 2020, 5:05 AM CDT
By Dartunorro Clark

In 2017, a government watchdog agency placed the 2020 census on its "high-risk" list — sounding the alarm to the public and lawmakers that the vital decennial count faced near-insurmountable odds.

The initial company printing the forms went bankrupt. There were cybersecurity weaknesses as the census moved online for the first time, hiring shortfalls, cutbacks to crucial operational testing, and the Trump administration’s failed attempt to add a citizenship question disrupted the all-too-important head count.

Now, as a global coronavirus pandemic upends the American economy and daily life, the census faces a logistical nightmare to avoid what experts say could become a 10-year mistake that skews the balance of power in the U.S. for years to come.

On Monday, the Census Bureau announced it would end its count one month early, on Sept. 30. The move created consternation among researchers, demographers, civil rights organizations, local community leaders, and immigrant rights groups.

"Even under the best of circumstances, the census is an enormously challenging and very, very difficult operation," said Chris Mihm, the managing director for strategic issues at the Government Accountability Office, a watchdog agency. "When you impose late design changes on that, it just gets exponentially riskier."  "And it's once a decade," he added. "There are no do-overs."

Steven Dillingham, the Census Bureau director, said in a statement on the bureau's website that the agency is ending all of its counting efforts on Sept. 30, which means all enumerators who are door-knocking to collect responses from people who have not already self-responded online, by mail or by phone will halt their efforts then. He said the self-response options will also close on that date while giving assurances that the agency would strive for accuracy.

Meanwhile, roughly 63 percent of households have responded, according to the Census Bureau. There are 58 million households yet to be counted, and the agency now has roughly seven weeks to count them all.

MORE at link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/insidious-ploy-trump-admin-s-decision-cut-census-shor...

Nice discussion of what is happening in normal times. This is Trump times and here is what is happening.

A  few months ago the census requested a 2 or 3 month extension to complete the census. That is in a bill passed by the house and is in the Senate now.

Now they want to cut a month off the original date.

Well with the original date the census would be all rapped up and the report presented to the President by the end of the year. The President (Trump) would then put it in place to be used for redrawing house dist., and other things.

With the extension the census  would not be finished till March or April of 2021 which is after the new President is sworn in. That means the new President would control the process of redrawing house dist.

It looks like the Rep think Trump might loose and they could have problems keeping control of the redrawing of house dist. Trump goes along. Yes I am surprised as this is the first hint from him he might loose.

Yes if the report comes later we will have a better count so work for that, but keep in mind what is really going on.

Honored Social Butterfly

Why do you think people aren't responding ?  It has never been easier to respond on your own, whether online, over the phone or by mail—all without having to meet a census taker.

Because of the pandemic, I am sure that census-takers are leery of their job.

Wouldn't you think that all people would want to be counted - if they are afraid to respond for some reason, I don't think having someone (an unknown person wearing a mask) approach them is gonna make too much of a difference.

I know many communities - those of POC or immigrant or in more rural areas - have tried to spread the word about being counted via people in their community that they trust - maybe from churches, medical community, educational professionals.

Just goes to show that we have a population that really don't know how things work.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Gail said "Just goes to show that we have a population that really don't know how things work."
I would argue we have a President in the same boat!
THis is all about RIGGING THE SYSTEM, which the former Republican Party and now Trump and Party have done. Everyone knows it. They know it and we know it. One of the biggest reasons the criminal in the White House needs to go is to stop this eternal rigging by the GOP/Trump Party!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Tom5678 wrote:
Gail said "Just goes to show that we have a population that really don't know how things work."
I would argue we have a President in the same boat!
THis is all about RIGGING THE SYSTEM, which the former Republican Party and now Trump and Party have done. Everyone knows it. They know it and we know it. One of the biggest reasons the criminal in the White House needs to go is to stop this eternal rigging by the GOP/Trump Party!!

Thank you Tom !

Honored Social Butterfly

It could be that many citizens live in fear or figure that being counted may not matter...but that’s what trump wants, fear, division, and undercounts. trump is suppose to be a leader...when was the last time that he had something positive to say, or encourage Citizens to have faith...never!

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198, @Tom5678 

I don't know about you two but I get emails almost daily on "Get Counted" -

Messages from Social Security, Medicare -

I get all kinds of messages - electronic, phone callls, newspaper  - from my local government.  Talling me to "Get Counted"

I have gotten these for several months now.

Census Offices have reopened here in my state and we know where the lacking in responses are - so we can give an extra push in the next (almost) 2-months

As of 07/29/2020 - 2020 Census Response Rates by County - Georgia 

But it is hard to get some people to respond - maybe fear, maybe mistrust of anything government or mistrust of others no matter who - The pandemic is just adding to this too.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@williamb39198, @Tom5678 

I don't know about you two but I get emails almost daily on "Get Counted" -

Messages from Social Security, Medicare -

I get all kinds of messages - electronic, phone callls, newspaper  - from my local government.  Talling me to "Get Counted"

I have gotten these for several months now.

Census Offices have reopened here in my state and we know where the lacking in responses are - so we can give an extra push in the next (almost) 2-months

As of 07/29/2020 - 2020 Census Response Rates by County - Georgia 

But it is hard to get some people to respond - maybe fear, maybe mistrust of anything government or mistrust of others no matter who - The pandemic is just adding to this too.

Get in touch with reality, many don't even have internet, and many more don't have email service. Many don't have a phone, and many don't get newspapers. Many are in very rural areas and are hard to get to.

In reality, because of the Pandemic, the time for completing the Census should be extended, not shortened. Your president in a moron.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Get in touch with reality, many don't even have internet, and many more don't have email service. Many don't have a phone, and many don't get newspapers. Many are in very rural areas and are hard to get to.

In reality, because of the Pandemic, the time for completing the Census should be extended, not shortened. Your president in a moron.

There have also been numerous mailing by various states or nonprofits working within a state including census staff.  Do they not get mail either?

I noticed that Alaska has sent out numerous mailings. 

Many states have hired people or enlisted other type institutions that can relate to the HTC (Hard To Count) 

They go far beyond the normal methods - Hard to Contact, Hard to Persuade, Hard to Interview 

Of course, states know how important these counts are - but face it, some people don't care, don't want to take the time and some do not want to be counted.

Who would want to risk their life to count a household?  Drive on rural dirt drive way with hopefully an ATV or at least a 4-wheel drive so that you can make it back out, get to the house and be met with (10) pitbull dogs

There is only so much we can do to force people to do anything -cause even once there, in front of these HTC - they just may tell you to "Hit The Road JacK!"

What's 30 days when we have already had close to 6-months to date?

Have we lost any cencsus takers yet?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 

I do and I’m sure that Tom does also. 
Ever considered that some Citizens may not have devices to get emails or texts concerning the census. And now, trump is going to cut the count period short by a month...perhaps you can explain how that will help the census count. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png