Honored Social Butterfly

Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power

Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day

President Donald Trump on Wednesday would not commit to providing a peaceful transition of power after Election Day, lending further fuel to concerns he may not relinquish his office should he lose in November.

"Well, we're going to have to see what happens," Trump said when asked whether he'd commit to a peaceful transition, one of the cornerstones of American democracy.

Trump has previously refused to say whether he would accept the election results, echoing his sentiments from 2016. And he has joked -- he says -- about staying in office well past the constitutionally bound two terms.

But his refusal to guarantee a violence-free transition went further and is likely to alarm his opponents, already on edge given his deployment of federal law enforcement to quell protests in American cities.

His reluctance to commit to a peaceful transition was rooted in what he said were concerns about ballots, extending his false assertion that widespread mail-in voting is rife with fraud.

"You know that I've been complaining very strongly about the ballots and the ballots are a disaster," Trump said at a press briefing at the White House, presumably referring to mail-in ballots, which he has baselessly claimed will lead to voter fraud.

"(G)et rid of the ballots and you'll have a very ... there won't be a transfer, frankly. There'll be a continuation," he added, saying "the ballots are out of control."

Sen. Mitt Romney, a Utah Republican who has stood at odds with the President in the past, slammed Trump's comments later Wednesday.

"Fundamental to democracy is the peaceful transition of power; without that, there is Belarus," Romney tweeted. "Any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable."

Trump has previously said his rival Joe Biden would only prevail in November if the election is "rigged," and suggested earlier in the day it was likely the results of the election would be contested all the way to the Supreme Court.

National polls currently show Trump trailing Biden, though surveys of electoral battleground states are tighter.

Democrats have long fretted that Trump may attempt to cling to power using the authorities of the president. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi suggested over the summer that Trump may have to be "fumigated out" of office if he refuses to accept the election results.

Trump has not sought to tamp down on speculation he won't leave office. Asked in a Fox News interview whether he could accept the election results, he demurred.

"No. I have to see," Trump said. "Look you -- I have to see. No, I'm not going to just say 'yes.' I'm not going to say 'no.' And I didn't last time, either."

During his 16-minute briefing, which he ended claiming he had to take an "emergency phone call," Trump also said he felt the US Food and Drug Administration might be politically motivated to delay the approval of a coronavirus vaccine. The FDA is considering new rules for authorization of a Covid-19 vaccine that could push approval until after Election Day.

"It sounded to me to be extremely political," Trump said of the proposed rules. "We're going to look at it. When we come back with these great results and I think you will have those. Why would we? Why would we be delaying it? But we're going to look at it, we're gonna take a look at it and ultimately you're the one who has to approve it."

Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day 

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Esteemed Social Butterfly

I was just reading about this in the Washington Post.  

IMPOOPUS running scared, isn't he?  Ramping up the mail-in ballot conspiracies... again.  Well, Donnie, how about this?  I'm not voting mail-in, I'm voting absentee! 😁 Does that make you feel better?  (You stupid moron.)

But hold up, that's not all he said on Wednesday.  He predicted that deciding the winner will ultimately go to the Supreme Court because of this "scam the Democrats are pulling" and that is why it is so important he appoint a ninth justice because you can't have a 4-4 tie.  He's thinking the conservatives will automatically pick him.  But if Joe Biden wins fair and square, and IMPOOPUS demands it go to the SC, I don't care if the justice is conservative or liberal, there will only be one conclusion they can come to.  After all, he can't fire a justice of the Supreme Court.

IMPOOPUS just keeps getting funnier and more outrageous.  Remember when he claimed the same thing before the 2016 election?  That it was rigged against him and that he may not accept the results.  And he didn't!  He won and he still didn't accept the results.  I guess that Clinton winning the popular vote got under his skin, but it was a moot point and he still ordered a voter commission to investigate.  Lordy!  🤦 Thankfully, that ill-conceived notion was mercifully short-lived.  (Stupid moron.)

Biden said it best: "“What country are we in? I’m being facetious. Look, he says the most irrational things. I don’t know what to say.”

Social Butterfly

Trump was afraid Joe Biden would beat him way back in 2018 when he created that fekakta  plan to have the President of the Ukraine open an investigation into Biden's son, and go on air, which backfired in his face. He was impeached.

We have a pandemic, and instead of focussing on lives saved, he disables the post office(with DeJoyless), and states preemtively the voting will be rigged, shrewdly knowing people will be afraid of physical contact at the polls.

Fact is Trump is TERRIFIED of losing fairly. 

America is TERRIFIED of what he will do to win.

Honored Social Butterfly

There is another part to this that came out in an article from the Atlantic this evening. The story was broken on MSNBC (Rachel Maddow), and CNN (Don Lemmon). Go watch it for for all the chilling details.

It involves using Sate law making bodies controlled by Rep. to ignore the popular vote in the State and appoint electors to the electoral college who will vote for Trump when Biden won the State. They will say the popular vote was not valid due to fraud. Just what Trump said today. Trump campaign people have been in contact with 3 Rep leaders in Pa. on this which has been documented.  They have been talking to other States also.

I learned something new. The Constitution gives the power to the Sate Legislature to appoint the electors, and says nothing about following the vote. People did not vote for President when it was written. This would be ok under it as it is now written.

This is why Romney spoke out. The was a call by Adam Shiff for all Rep who love the USA now working in the Admin to quit to protest this path to Dictatorship.  There was a call for all who have left the Admin to now tell all what they have been telling friends about him.

GO WATCH THE TV AND LEARN OF THE TRUMP PLAN TO SEIZE POWER.

I have posted for 4 years now Trump will move to be Dictator but never did I think it would be a plan such as this. Basically it could be all legal per a court packed with Trumpers. The back room deal they said he made with his 2 appointments to the court looks like it is real.

Social Butterfly

He already set the stage for contested election by partially disabling the post office and declaring voter fraud way back in June, knowing the covid 19 was serious and people would be voting by mail.

He is transparently and preemtively corrupt, for all the world to see.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png