Honored Social Butterfly

Trump legacy: Super Spreader Churches

Actually, the Trump team does not really care except that is is becoming more difficult for the religious communities to back him as their congregations fall dead at their feet. In Oregon, 258 Covid cases were traced back to a Memorial Day church service and the entire county had to lock down again. Another Trump fail. 

One month after President Donald Trump ordered the nation’s governors to immediately reopen churches, his administration is facing a difficult dilemma.  of Covid-19 cases are surfacing in counties across the U.S. where in-person religious services have resumed, triggering questions about whether his administration should reassess its campaign to treat houses of worship the same as other essential businesses, or leave them alone and risk additional transmission of the deadly coronavirus — including in communities that are largely supportive of the president.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/28/trump-coronavirus-spread-churches-342296 

Honored Social Butterfly

On cue - Pence goes to a big church in Dallas today, where he was greeted with a 100 member choir and all the pews filled.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I think there is danger of spreading the virus anywhere large groups gather. Most of the churches in my area are still broadcasting on line. Seems some people did not follow the recommendations of social distancing and staying in. Seems some may have taken their mask off since it is difficult to spit with it on. Should they be held accountable?? A yes or no answer would be good.

Jemima McEvoyContributor
Business
I cover breaking news for Forbes.
Updated Jun 9, 2020, 02:10pm EDT
TOPLINE A spokeswoman said on Tuesday that National Guard members, who were sent to D.C. to respond to riots starting on May 31 and have since been among hundreds of thousands of protestors in the nation’s capital, have tested positive for COVID-19, bolstering concerns over a protest-induced spike in coronavirus cases.

D.C. National Guard spokeswoman Brooke Davis told McClatchy DC on Tuesday that members of the 1,300-person D.C. National Guard sent to respond to protests in the nation’s capital have tested positive for the virus, but did not disclose the number of positive tests recorded.

“We can confirm that we have had COVID-19 positive tests with the DCNG,” Davis said. “The safety and security of our personnel is always a concern, especially in light of the COVID-19 era.”

The D.C. National Guard was called to respond to rioting on May 31 and was expected to leave the city early this week, according to Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy.

Davis said that any National Guard members who tested positive will be held back until they are no longer sick or contagious.

“All Guardsmen who are suspected to be at high risk of infection or have tested positive for COVID-19 during demobilization will not be released from Title 32 orders until risk of infection or illness has passed,” Davis said. “Members of the Air and Army National Guard with no, or low risk of exposure, who present symptoms of infection one to 14 days after release from orders will contact their unit.”

The Nebraska National Guard also reported Guardsmen testing positive on Monday after responding to protests in Lincoln Nebraska.

KEY BACKGROUND
Public health officials have warned of possible spikes in the number of coronavirus cases as a result of the massive crowds gathering to protest across the U.S. Two weeks after George Floyd’s death, thousands are still gathering in major cities and suburbs alike. McClatchy DC reported that on Saturday, in the largest protest in D.C. to date, participants were packed tightly together, with many not wearing masks. Authorities estimated that around 200,000 attended the protest.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:
I think there is danger of spreading the virus anywhere large groups gather. Most of the churches in my area are still broadcasting on line. Seems some people did not follow the recommendations of social distancing and staying in. Seems some may have taken their mask off since it is difficult to spit with it on. Should they be held accountable?? A yes or no answer would be good.
I completely agree any large group risks spreading the virus among its population which is why Trump pushing for early opening of churches and church services can be labeled as another stupid Trump move.  His own CDC staff told him not to do this but he wanted to keep the evangelicals happy.  Another way Trump has failed to act as a leader. 
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I completely agree any large group risks spreading the virus among its population which is why Trump pushing for early opening of churches and church services can be labeled as another stupid Trump move. His own CDC staff told him not to do this but he wanted to keep the evangelicals happy. Another way Trump has failed to act as a leader. @Richva..................How do you feel about the large groups gathering to protest? Do you think this spreads the virus? I don't think the virus can tell one type of group from another, do you?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Soldiers said How do you feel about the large groups gathering to protest? Do you think this spreads the virus? I don't think the virus can tell one type of group from another, do you?

Not sure of your point.  Trump had little to do with the protests but he  did push to open the churches early.  From a pandemic viewpoint, the protests were a very bad idea.  From a leadership standpoint, opening the churches was an unforced error. The two situations are simply not comparable.  

Like trying to compare two train wrecks. It would be nice if neither happened but when one is caused by the engineer driving the train off the tracks, you don’t let the engineer off the hook because there was another wreck somewhere. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva...................I would say I am not sure of your point, but I am. I think you mean all Christians, bad, all protesters, good. I will never believe this. I think eventually people will grow tired of all this crybaby stuff and stop it. I don't want a group coming to my area and blocking off a section, painting junk on the streets I pay tax dollars to support and burning and looting. I hope if some of these doing it are drawing unemployment they are caught. It doesn't seem fair that businesses that paid wages to them, and paid into unemployment should have to ever employ them again. Maybe they can section off a bread line in the future so they feel right at home.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:
@Richva...................I would say I am not sure of your point, but I am. I think you mean all Christians, bad, all protesters, good. I will never believe this. I think eventually people will grow tired of all this crybaby stuff and stop it. I don't want a group coming to my area and blocking off a section, painting junk on the streets I pay tax dollars to support and burning and looting. I hope if some of these doing it are drawing unemployment they are caught. It doesn't seem fair that businesses that paid wages to them, and paid into unemployment should have to ever employ them again. Maybe they can section off a bread line in the future so they feel right at home.

My point was, and is, that you are attempting to compare apples to oranges. I do not care if the church is full of Christians, Muslims, Jews, or worshipers of Thor.  Trump should not have allowed churches to open as early as he did and now we are seeing that churches are hotspots for covid-19.  If the Christians are looting and burning, I had not heard of it. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Most of the videos of the protests show virtually EVERYBODY wearing a mask and practicing a modicum of social distancing.

NONE of the reports concerning celebrating Fundamentalists indicates either behavior. Instead we have cryptoXians telling the camera "Whatever God's plan for me is okay."

News flash Fundies: His plan was to give you a brain and a sense of decency.  If you chose to ignore both His gifts, do not pretend the result ignorant selfish behavior is part of His plans.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png