Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Trump considers executive order on citizenship question

Message 11 of 80

@jimc91 wrote:

Hola: Majority of Hispanic voters approve of citizenship question on U.S. census

- The Washington Times -

Two-thirds of voters approve of a citizenship question on the 2020 census, and that includes a majority of Hispanic voters — despite claims by Democratic lawmakers that the inquiry would discourage participation in Latino communities.

A Harvard University Center for American Political Studies/Harris poll found that 67% of all registered U.S. voters say the census should ask the citizenship question when the time comes. That includes 88% of Republicans, 63% of independents and 52% of Democrats.

Most notably, the poll found that 55% of Hispanic voters favor the idea.

Also in agreement: 74% of rural voters, 59% of black voters, 58% of urban voters and 47% of voters who backed Hillary Clinton in 2016. At 44%, liberal voters were the least likely to favor the citizenship question.

At the other end of the scale, 92% of Trump voters and 90% of conservatives back the question.

The Harvard poll of 2,182 registered voters was conducted June 26-29. A Hill/HarrisX voter poll conducted in June found that 60% of voters approved of the question.

On Tuesday, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway challenged why the citizenship question should even be an issue on the census — which makes a variety of personal household inquiries. She faults Democratic critics.

“We’re asking people how many toilets in your house and you don’t want to know who’s using them? It’s absolutely ridiculous — and this is why the president is fighting for the question’s inclusion,” Ms. Conway told Fox News.

“The census is important, and as President Trump has mentioned, we spend about $20 billion on it. We have said it’s an important exercise. So why not get it right? The census in the past has been increasingly responsive to changes in American demography,” she continued.

“I would ask the Democrats —I hear they’re screaming rhetoric — I would ask what are you afraid of? Why wouldn’t you want to know who’s living in this country, and who’s a citizen and who’s not a citizen?” Ms. Conway asked.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/9/55-of-hispanic-voters-approve-citizenship-question/

Bad support story. From a far right source, by a far right writer. They do not tell the truth. The SC said no question so that ends it by law. Trump said he had to have the answer before June 30 so they could print the forms. Did Trump lie again. It looks like it. Why does the far right support people who tell lies?

Report Inappropriate Content
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 80

Hola: Majority of Hispanic voters approve of citizenship question on U.S. census

- The Washington Times -

Two-thirds of voters approve of a citizenship question on the 2020 census, and that includes a majority of Hispanic voters — despite claims by Democratic lawmakers that the inquiry would discourage participation in Latino communities.

A Harvard University Center for American Political Studies/Harris poll found that 67% of all registered U.S. voters say the census should ask the citizenship question when the time comes. That includes 88% of Republicans, 63% of independents and 52% of Democrats.

Most notably, the poll found that 55% of Hispanic voters favor the idea.

Also in agreement: 74% of rural voters, 59% of black voters, 58% of urban voters and 47% of voters who backed Hillary Clinton in 2016. At 44%, liberal voters were the least likely to favor the citizenship question.

At the other end of the scale, 92% of Trump voters and 90% of conservatives back the question.

The Harvard poll of 2,182 registered voters was conducted June 26-29. A Hill/HarrisX voter poll conducted in June found that 60% of voters approved of the question.

On Tuesday, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway challenged why the citizenship question should even be an issue on the census — which makes a variety of personal household inquiries. She faults Democratic critics.

“We’re asking people how many toilets in your house and you don’t want to know who’s using them? It’s absolutely ridiculous — and this is why the president is fighting for the question’s inclusion,” Ms. Conway told Fox News.

“The census is important, and as President Trump has mentioned, we spend about $20 billion on it. We have said it’s an important exercise. So why not get it right? The census in the past has been increasingly responsive to changes in American demography,” she continued.

“I would ask the Democrats —I hear they’re screaming rhetoric — I would ask what are you afraid of? Why wouldn’t you want to know who’s living in this country, and who’s a citizen and who’s not a citizen?” Ms. Conway asked.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/9/55-of-hispanic-voters-approve-citizenship-question/

VIMTSTL
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 80

I can't wait for the Executive Orders on Medicare for All and a Bachelor's Degree included in Public Education !!!!

Only Thing Man Learns From History Is Man Learns Nothing From History
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 80

@jimc91 wrote:

It appears democrats do not want the citizenship question on the census form.  Why is that?  

As a US citizen I personally would like to know:  

1) How many people are currently living in the USA. 

Yep you're right ............ how many people.

2) How many US Citizens are living in the USA today.

Since funding is based on how many people, not citizens, it doesn't 

matter how many are citizens.

So please democrats, explain why it is a bad thing to put this question on our census form...

Because many people who are not citizens would be afraid to be counted, reducing the amount of funding made available to communities and states.

Yep, Democrats and Liberals always need to explain things to Republicans, Conservatives, and trump supporters.

Only Thing Man Learns From History Is Man Learns Nothing From History
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 80

@KidBoy2 wrote:
sp362 posted..

Why is it that you can not understand that the census counts everyone? You keep hanging on to the American Community Survey that does not do that. In fact no one I know... or me has ever been contacted by your American Community Survey. Again why is that?

The census counts everyone. It is very important to the nation to get an accurate count. Trump has no reason for his citizenship question other than to suppress the count for certain minorities. There is no valid reason for the question. He is not allowed to have it on the census. Which part of that do you not understand?

Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 80

@KidBoy2 wrote:
sp362 posted..

We used a sampling of the population then to determine citizenship, just as we are doing now.

=========================================

"We used a sampling of the population"

We? Do you work for the American Community Survey?

Why is it that you can not understand that the census counts everyone? You keep hanging on to the American Community Survey that does not do that. In fact no one I know... or me has ever been contacted by your American Community Survey. Again why is that?

What part of the fact that we haven't asked that question on the short form since 1950 do you not understand?  We started it asking it again in 1970 on the long form only and use statistics to come up with the data.  We didn't have a long form in 2010 because we switched to the American Community Survey, what part of that do you not understand?  Since we are still using it, THIS IS THE LONG FORM CENSUS!

I am always amazed at people who pretend to be strict Constitutionalists, but will only support the parts of the Constitution that they like.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 80
sp362 posted..

We used a sampling of the population then to determine citizenship, just as we are doing now.

=========================================

"We used a sampling of the population"

We? Do you work for the American Community Survey?

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 80

@GailL1 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Sure there is a purpose - see my last post.

Why would they answer any question on the census if they are fearful especially the one that ask about their Hispanic or Latin origin and what type.

The information is very valuable to state and local communities because if a non-citizen isn't eligible for something then those dollars can go elsewhere. 

A very simple example of that would be the number of voting machines and places to vote in local areas.  If there are many non-citizens who cannot vote in a certain area then some other area that has more citizens can get added machines and/or polling places.

This would be taken off of the voter registration roles, there is no need to use the census for this information.

Of course there is - as we have seen from the last several elections, massive numbers of people register to vote when an election is about to happen -

Remember the GOTV. 

Another example would be various government programs that have citizenship as an eligibility requirement.  If an area has a lot of non-citizens then not as much as to be spent on those (citizenship required) program and these funds can go elsewhere where citizens might need them.

Since funding is done on an as needed basis, what are you referring to?

There are many where you have to be a citizen to be eligible or in a few cases, a (defined) eligible non-citizen

Examples

Public Housing or Housing Vouchers

Federal Student Financial Aid and the FAFSA

Asking the citizenship question to EVERYBODY in the 10-year census count would also indicate the family structure of citizen/non-citizen. 

Heck, seems like we should know this citizen/non-citizen make up  just for the sake of ever offering a pathway to citizenship - and just how many we are talking about.

The SC ruled no question. Are you  telling us that you favor defying a court order?

Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 80

@KidBoy2 wrote:
sp362 posted..

We already have a very good idea from using the data compiled from the American Community Survey.

======================================================

"very good idea"... American Community Survey.

Close enough is not good enough for me....is it for you? If so why?

Again..

It seems to me that we have many on the left that are afraid to offend anyone....just like the cities and states that are sanctuary cities.

How is the citizenship information gathered from the American Community Survey any different than the citizenship information that was gathered on the long form since 1970?  We used a sampling of the population then to determine citizenship, just as we are doing now.

I notice you didn't bother to respond to the Constitutional question.

I find it funny that since I am the one saying to follow what is written in the Constitution that you think that makes me a liberal. Have you ever read the Constitution?

Earlier, you posted a poll about the percentage of people who wanted the question on the census.  I wonder how many of them have never bothered to read the Constitution?

If you really believe what is written in the Constitution, then you should be worried that the Executive Branch is trying to go around the checks and balances of the Supreme Court.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 80
sp362 posted..

We already have a very good idea from using the data compiled from the American Community Survey.

======================================================

"very good idea"... American Community Survey.

Close enough is not good enough for me....is it for you? If so why?

Again..

It seems to me that we have many on the left that are afraid to offend anyone....just like the cities and states that are sanctuary cities.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!

Top Authors