Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump claims he invented 'priming the pump' phrase

Message 1 of 5

@nctarheel wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

President Donald Trump took credit in an interview for coining the phrase "prime the pump," seemingly unaware that it was popularised during the Great Depression more than 80 years ago and has been used frequently ever since.

"I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good," Mr Trump told "The Economist" magazine in an interview published on Thursday.

This is one area that I actually feel sorry for DUFUS TRUMP.

He IS 70 and his hearing is starting to go. Remember Merkel wanting to shake hands but he didn't hear her?

Additionally, at 70, his memory is going also...... (too many examples to list).

So, instead of what he thought he said "prime the pump" what he had really said was "Time the Dump".

He, as many oldsters will do, was talking about his bowel habits.

As such a busy President, he was describing how his bowel habits had to change as President.

Excellent Snark.      

I pay daily homage to the Gov. of Texas by using Time the Dump.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

President Donald Trump took credit in an interview for coining the phrase "prime the pump," seemingly unaware that it was popularised during the Great Depression more than 80 years ago and has been used frequently ever since.

"I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good," Mr Trump told "The Economist" magazine in an interview published on Thursday.

This is one area that I actually feel sorry for DUFUS TRUMP.

He IS 70 and his hearing is starting to go. Remember Merkel wanting to shake hands but he didn't hear her?

Additionally, at 70, his memory is going also...... (too many examples to list).

So, instead of what he thought he said "prime the pump" what he had really said was "Time the Dump".

He, as many oldsters will do, was talking about his bowel habits.

As such a busy President, he was describing how his bowel habits had to change as President.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

As long as the man is breathing.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

It seems that Trump has "primed the pump of ignorance", that's how he seems to have attracted many of his blind supporters.

I have but one question:    How long can this continue ?????

"The only thing that man learns from history is that man learns nothing from history."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Trump claims he invented 'priming the pump' phrase

Message 5 of 5

Another day, another lie!

Donald Trump claims he invented 'priming the pump' phrase

"I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good," Mr Trump told "The Economist" magazine in an interview published on Thursday. The interviewers refrained from correcting the president about a well-worn metaphor for generating faster growth.

Those who run the Merriam-Webster dictionary quickly tweeted that the phrase "priming the pump" has been around since the early 1800s.

Literally, it's about pouring water into a pump to allow it to create suction. The phrase was commonly used by mining publications during the 1920s, but it took on new significance after the economy cratered during the Great Depression.

By 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt had promoted the idea of flushing money into the economy in order to stimulate stronger growth with his New Deal policies.

The notion of priming the pump is associated with the British economist John Maynard Keynes, who theorised that a government could spur a recovery from a downturn with deficit spending.

The policies rankled Roosevelt's predecessor, Herbert Hoover, after he took office.

"One of the ideas in these spendings is to prime the economic pump," Hoover said in a 1935 speech. "We might abandon this idea also, for it dries up the well of enterprise."

For Mr Trump, the idea is that cutting taxes would inject more money into the economy.

The government would run higher deficits to fund the tax cuts, but they would generate faster growth that would at some point reduce the size of the deficits.

The administration has yet to present exact numbers to measure the impact its tax plan would have on the economy, but a survey of leading academic economists by the University of Chicago found that none believed the growth would be sufficient for the tax cuts to pay for themselves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/11/donald-trump-claims-invented-priming-pump-phrase/

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety?

Clinical Psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety, and sadness we are all facing these days. Ask a question now and tune in live on May 27, 3-5 p.m. ET.

Top Authors