Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

Trump administration bungling and testing failures allowed coronavirus to sweep the country

Here is an excellent, but rather lengthy article from Politico documenting how Trump adminsitration bungling and testing failures enabled the coronavirus to sweep across the United States. From the article:

 

On Saturday Jan. 11 — a month and a half before the first Covid-19 case not linked to travel was diagnosed in the United States — Chinese scientists posted the genome of the mysterious new virus, and within a week virologists in Berlin had produced the first diagnostic test for the disease.

 

Soon after, researchers in other nations rolled out their own tests, too, sometimes with different genetic targets. By the end of February, the World Health Organization had shipped tests to nearly 60 countries.

 

The United States was not among them.

 

Why the United States declined to use the WHO test, even temporarily as a bridge until the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention could produce its own test, remains a perplexing question and the key to the Trump administration’s failure to provide enough tests to identify the coronavirus infections before they could be passed on, according to POLITICO interviews with dozens of viral-disease experts, former officials and some officials within the administration’s health agencies.

 

But neither the CDC nor the coronavirus task force chaired by Vice President Mike Pence would say who made the decision to forgo the WHO test and instead begin a protracted process of producing an American test, one that got delayed by manufacturing problems, possible lab contamination and logistical delays.

 

“Please provide an explanation for why the Covid-19 diagnostic test approved by the World Health Organization was not used,” Sen. Patty Murray, the ranking Democrat on the Senate health committee, who represents the hard-hit state of Washington, asked in a 3½-page letter on the testing fiasco to Pence, Health Secretary Alex Azar, CDC director Robert Redfield, and Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Stephen Hahn.

 

The government’s incapacity to conduct widespread testing slowed diagnoses, creating chains of infection. It also deprived epidemiologists of a map that could have told them how far and how fast the virus was traveling and where they should concentrate efforts to slow it down.

 

But there were additional problems with the administration’s approach to testing, according to experts and former officials. From the start, the White House focused on containment, trusting that a limited ban on travel to and from China could somehow force a fast-moving virus to stop cold when it hit the Chinese border. But, while containment might have helped buy the U.S. some time, without aggressive domestic surveillance through testing, it was an incomplete strategy.

 

Read the entire article at this link:

 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/06/coronavirus-testing-failure-123166?fbclid=IwAR2WBPRwR37zIPx... 

Conversationalist

When Will Trump Start Blaming Xi, Author of the Belt and Road Pandemic? Beware of Apologists Sold Out to Beijing: World Owes Nothing to Xi but the Origin of Belt and Road Pandemic.
Conversationalist

The coronavirus is becoming Trump’s Chernobyl and Hurricane Katrina wrapped up into a single event that has exposed Trump’s total ineptness, ignorance, narcissism, and constant fabrication of the truth.
Honored Social Butterfly

trump is still trying to coverup for his failures and lack of leadership concerning the virus.

Now once again he is saying that anyone can go out and get tested...

really!, how, when, and where?

 

Why does he think that a thousand equals a million...we do not have millions of test kits available!

 

Once again he rates his own efforts as a ten...perhaps, if the scale is based on one to one thousand!

Honored Social Butterfly


@williamb39198 wrote:

trump is still trying to coverup for his failures and lack of leadership concerning the virus.

Now once again he is saying that anyone can go out and get tested...

really!, how, when, and where?

 

Why does he think that a thousand equals a million...we do not have millions of test kits available!

 

Once again he rates his own efforts as a ten...perhaps, if the scale is based on one to one thousand!


There are a million test out there and another million coming in the next week but this is still just a drop in the bucket for everybody.

We finally are getting enough labs on board to run them (private & public).

However, nobody gets a test just on-demand, right now; no mass testing at present - I am sure you know that from the info that the CDC has on their website.

 

There is a protochol for testing -

CDC.gov - Corvid - 19 Testing in the US 

 

CDC.gov - Testing for COVID-19 

 

The people getting tested are:

  • Medical Personel
  • Caregivers / Medical personel who take care of the elderly in their living environment or those who are caring for others with other conditions (there is a list)
  • 1st Responders
  • Those with a fever, other related signs (like exposure, recent travels - foreign and domestic locations) - recommended from your doc at least in my state.  In my state, they will also run other checks - flu, bacteria infection to see if something else is going on.

Read the list on the left side of the CDC.gov site

I am sure you see the need for this priority.

 

As for those who have the virus but are asymptomatic - EXTREME social (physical) isolation / distancing should take care of this both for those who are the carriers and those who don't want to catch it.

 

Hunker down in place - if you have to go out, use viral killing recommended surface and hand cleaners -

wash hands often with soap and water especially if you have been out and return home.  Do not touch your face; in fact, change clothes and wash them when you return home. Clean anything that you touch prior to cleaning your hands if you go out - door handle, car handle, steering wheel, counters. phone, etc.

 

Mask are primarily to protect other people if you have symptoms - because just the action of hand placing or removing the mask can transfer the virus to you (face touching).

 

Stop listening to President Trump - listen to the medical professionals - the CDC is in charge of the rulemaking of virus containment.  The rules got increased / re-emphasized today and will be re-evaluated about every 15 days for better or worse.

 

 

Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

 

Stop listening to President Trump - listen to the medical professionals - the CDC is in charge of the rulemaking of virus containment. 

 

Great advice, Gail.  If he would only SHUT-UP!!!  Just look at all the uninformed louts that listen to him and actually think he's credible....

 

Image result for trump lout gif

 


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

trump is still trying to coverup for his failures and lack of leadership concerning the virus.

Now once again he is saying that anyone can go out and get tested...

really!, how, when, and where?

 

Why does he think that a thousand equals a million...we do not have millions of test kits available!

 

Once again he rates his own efforts as a ten...perhaps, if the scale is based on one to one thousand!


There are a million test out there and another million coming in the next week but this is still just a drop in the bucket for everybody.

We finally are getting enough labs on board to run them (private & public).

However, nobody gets a test just on-demand, right now; no mass testing at present - I am sure you know that from the info that the CDC has on their website.

 

There is a protochol for testing -

CDC.gov - Corvid - 19 Testing in the US 

 

CDC.gov - Testing for COVID-19 

 

The people getting tested are:

  • Medical Personel
  • Caregivers / Medical personel who take care of the elderly in their living environment or those who are caring for others with other conditions (there is a list)
  • 1st Responders
  • Those with a fever, other related signs (like exposure, recent travels - foreign and domestic locations) - recommended from your doc at least in my state.  In my state, they will also run other checks - flu, bacteria infection to see if something else is going on.

Read the list on the left side of the CDC.gov site

I am sure you see the need for this priority.

 

As for those who have the virus but are asymptomatic - EXTREME social (physical) isolation / distancing should take care of this both for those who are the carriers and those who don't want to catch it.

 

Hunker down in place - if you have to go out, use viral killing recommended surface and hand cleaners -

wash hands often with soap and water especially if you have been out and return home.  Do not touch your face; in fact, change clothes and wash them when you return home. Clean anything that you touch prior to cleaning your hands if you go out - door handle, car handle, steering wheel, counters. phone, etc.

 

Mask are primarily to protect other people if you have symptoms - because just the action of hand placing or removing the mask can transfer the virus to you (face touching).

 

Stop listening to President Trump - listen to the medical professionals - the CDC is in charge of the rulemaking of virus containment.  The rules got increased / re-emphasized today and will be re-evaluated about every 15 days for better or worse.

 

 


Well you are correct in telling all to stop listening to Trump. Looks like the Stock market did not get that message as it went into a tail spin after he spoke this afternoon. Now to testing. We need to know how many, and where the people are who have the virus. That entire area is left out now, and that sets back our efforts to understand and control the virus. They should be out testing people in all areas not waiting for them to ask for a test. There was plenty of time to set this up since we new the virus would arrive. Why did not we do this. Simple answer Trump. We should hit this area now heavy to try and understand how many people have the virus, and where they are. I live in an area that has no reported cases yet, but are there any here my bet is there are, and if we find that out we can take better steps to stop the virus. I should have been tested as I was in the SFO area when the first cases were reported. Fact is I was in the center of one area, and edge of another. Yes I reported that to my Dr and at that time they could do nothing due to the Feds and their rules. Trump appointed the people who head the agencies, and they follow his nonsense like all members of the mob follow the boss. Sorry but that is true.

Honored Social Butterfly


@GailL1 wrote:

Stop listening to President Trump - listen to the medical professionals - the CDC is in charge of the rulemaking of virus containment.  The rules got increased / re-emphasized today and will be re-evaluated about every 15 days for better or worse.

 

In other words, he needs to stop talking.  No reason why he should continue pretending he has any sort of a grasp on this crisis.  His jig is up.

 

Sherrod Brown @SenSherrodBrown Mar 13
Not true, I wrote to you more than 600 days ago demanding answers after you fired the entire White House pandemic team.  (photographic evidence of said letter published with)
 

News correspondent:

Trump first calls it a "nasty question." Then says someone else shut it down. "I don't know anything about it."


Still, he's been allowed to stay in charge.  Will continue to be till the shameful day he is not.  There is no good outcome for him, if there ever was one.
Trusted Social Butterfly

 

Where to place the blame for the coronavirus threat in the United States? Place the blame squarely on Donald Trump and his administration.

 

This article from Politico makes it clear.The World Health Organization had coronavirus testing kits available and offered them to the United States early on as soon as the first case of coronavirus was detected inside the United States. But the Trump administration and the Presudent refused the testing kits from the WHO.

 

Had the test kits been made available in the United States when offered by the WHO; health officials could have been able to map where the coronavirus was and mobilized resources to nip it in the bud. Now test kits are in short supply and we are closing down the country.

 

So now, events have been cancelled, schools are closed and now restaurants and bars are closed. People aren't working and getting paid. This is sending the economy into a recession.

But the Trump administration is still preoccupied with building his silly border wall. For two months, when the United States could have taken pre-emptive actions against the spread of coronavirus; Trump was making stupid statements like this would go away when the weather warms up in spring.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png