Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump Spikes Interest Rates - Dow Dives 500+

Message 1 of 34

China is Dramatically Cutting US Oil Imports Even Though It's Not on Tariff List
Oct 9, 2018
U.S. crude oil may not have been on China's tariff list, but it stopped importing in August, according to Bimco, a shipowners association.
"Chinese buyers, led by the world's top tanker charterer Unipec, were rumored to have stayed away and this new data proves it," says Bimco's chief shipping analyst, Peter Sand.
According to Sand's research, Chinese imports accounted for 23 percent of total U.S. crude exports in 2017 and were averaging 22 percent for this year, up until August.
"In the first seven months of 2018 China imported an averaged 10.6 million barrels," Sand said.
China imported no US oil in August as a result of trade tensions, the analyst says.

Chinese traders have returned to purchasing U.S. crude oil in October but there is little visibility as to how much, Bimco says.

Sand told CNBC: "China is keeping its oil import data closer than ever before. Up until March we had a good idea of where they were getting crude and that has all stopped. Now China is only releasing their import volumes. Not the sources of their imports."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/09/china-is-dramatically-cutting-us-oil-imports-analyst-says.html

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 34

I wouldn't rule anything out.

Russia has rapidly sold off the vast majority of its stash of American debt.
Between March and May, Russia's holdings of US Treasury bonds plummeted by $81 billion, representing 84% of its total US debt holdings.
The sudden debt dump may have contributed to a short-term spike in Treasury rates that spooked the market. 10-year Treasury yields topped 3% in April for the first time since 2014.

It also sparked a guessing game about Moscow's motivations. Maybe Russia just wanted to diversify its portfolio, as the central bank stated. Or perhaps Russia was seeking revenge for Washington's crippling sanctions on aluminum.

'Not particularly alarming'

Either way, there's little debate over the long-term impact. Russia's selling has not hurt America's ability to borrow money.
That's because investors -- particularly life insurers and pension funds that serve aging baby boomers -- have a big appetite for fixed income. Treasury rates quickly descended back below 3% because demand for bonds continued to grow.

russia treasuries.jpg

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 34

@GailL1 wrote:

@H2Oh wrote:

I think, I'm guessing, China is no longer buying our debt.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Exactly what my SO and I were discussing last night. Only Trumplicans could possibly imagine that starting a trade war with the country who holds most of our debt is a good idea.

To date, that has not happen and here is why it probably will not happen.

The Balance 10/2018 - How Much is the US Debt to China

I see no evidence in this article that would lead anyone to beleive - it probably will not happen

This Article and most others that purport to understand China's Motivations

Fail to consider - China's Modernisation & Globalization of its armed forces is proceeding faster than many analysts expected.

For example, ...........................the steady extension of the People’s Liberation Army’s reach. News reports emphasized that it is acquiring systems that will allow it to strike the United States.

The report also notes that “one of the most significant [Navy] structural changes in 2017” has been the tripling of the size of the Chinese marine corps.

Coupled with China’s first official overseas military base (in Djibouti), it is clear that China is expanding its force-projection capacity.

An important element of this year’s report is the expanded discussion of China’s security-related activities, providing a broader, fuller assessment.

There is an extensive discussion of China’s Belt and Road Initiative, its array of investment projects previously known as the “One Belt, One Road Initiative,” stretching from China to Europe, into the Indian Ocean to Africa, and even across the Pacific to South America.

China Military Spending.png

I can think of No Better Weapon to keep in a Countries Military Arsenal than the ability to Cripple the Worlds Economy - Overnight whenever it wants

Source - https://www.heritage.org/asia/commentary/pentagon-report-shows-chinas-growing-military-capabilities

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 34

@H2Oh wrote:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Exactly what my SO and I were discussing last night. Only Trumplicans could possibly imagine that starting a trade war with the country who holds most of our debt is a good idea.

To date, that has not happen and here is why it probably will not happen.

The Balance 10/2018 - How Much is the US Debt to China

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 34

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump Spikes Interest Rates - Dow Dives 830

Message 6 of 34

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

True and we also had 8 Fed hikes under Trump. Remember the guy that said "irrational exuberance"? The economy was doing too good in the Fed's opinion and they wanted to slow things down. Trump triggered the hot economy by lowering taxes for individuals and corporations, got many new employees, and expansion of companies. Only liberals think that Trump was irrational doing good things for the economy and the people.

I think you are confusing the economy with the stock market. They are not the same and generally represent different populations.  To be clear, Trump lowered taxes for RICH individuals and corporations. 

To be crystal clear, Trump lowered taxes for ALL individuals actually paying income taxes and corporations.

This is a correction based on the market's view of tariffs, trade chaos, and an incompetent trade war with no stated objectives. 

The economy and the stock market are linked and parallels each other. When stock market is down, bond prices usually go up and the interest rates go up making borrowing much more expensive.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 34

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

True and we also had 8 Fed hikes under Trump. Remember the guy that said "irrational exuberance"? The economy was doing too good in the Fed's opinion and they wanted to slow things down. Trump triggered the hot economy by lowering taxes for individuals and corporations, got many new employees, and expansion of companies. Only liberals think that Trump was irrational doing good things for the economy and the people.

I think you are confusing the economy with the stock market. They are not the same and generally represent different populations.  To be clear, Trump lowered taxes for RICH individuals and corporations. 

This is a correction based on the market's view of tariffs, trade chaos, and an incompetent trade war with no stated objectives. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 34

J P Morgn Chase, Citigroup and Wells Fargo released their earnings this morning -- all better than expected.

Stock Market expected to open around 200 points higher.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 34

I just woke up. When I went to sleep the market was down about 50 points. I'll bet some saw yesterday as a buying opportunity. 

The past month I wasn't going to be too concerned about the market unless it went below 25,000. It's now 25,052. 

Either the amount of money, or the number of people putting their money in a 401k is down 45% from a year ago. Younger people have cashed out their 401k to buy a home, they say.

How will this affect the 2018 election?

Although most Americans don't directly have money in the market, headlines like today make people take notice.

It looks like markets around the whole world took a hit today.

Tomorrow - Wall Street banks announce their earnings. Hmmm....

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Trump Spikes Interest Rates - Dow Dives 1250

Message 10 of 34

When Obama took office, we were in the middle of the worst economic global collapse of our lives. When Trump took office, the economy was already spiraling upwards. The only thing Trump had to do was stay out of the way. But instead, we had the following.

• Trump made the economic blunder move of quitting the TPP, leaving 40% of the world's economy ripe for Chinese leadership.
  • Trump and the GOP put out a new tax bill that was great for the wealthy and our corporations, but it will add almost $2 Trillion to the nation's debt
  • Trump signed the largest federal budget bill in American history, once again adding to the deficit. (What happened to Republicans reducing the nation's deficit?)
  • And finally, the imbecile in the White House started imposing tariffs and talked international trade war, which is scaring investors around the globe.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors