Honored Social Butterfly

Trump Says Wear A Mask - But He Won't, Defying The CDC

CDC recommends people wear cloth masks in public – but Trump says he won't
“The CDC is not recommending the use of medical grade or surgical grade masks," President Donald Trump said, noting they need to be saved for medical professionals.
APRIL 3, 202000:52
By Kristen Welker, Geoff Bennett and Dartunorro Clark

President Donald Trump on Friday said new guidance from the Centers for Disease and Prevention urges Americans to wear cloth face coverings in public to prevent the spread of the virus.

"The CDC is advising the use of nonmedical cloth face covering as a voluntary health measure," Trump said during his Friday briefing. "It is voluntary. They suggested for a period of time. This is voluntary.”

“The CDC is not recommending the use of medical grade or surgical grade masks," he added, noting things such as the N95 respirators need to be saved for medical professionals.

The country has been dealing with a dire shortage of critical protective gear, including masks and gloves for medical professionals. Many Americans already have been opting to cover their noses and mouths with makeshift masks, including bandannas, scarves or other wraps.

However, Trump said he will not follow that guidance.

"I just don't want to wear one myself, it's a recommendation," he said. "Somehow sitting in the Oval Office behind that beautiful Resolute Desk, the great Resolute Desk, I think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, dictators, kings, queens, I don't know, I don't see it for myself."

Trump stressed that Americans should still follow the administration's social distancing guidelines. Surgeon General Jerome Adams also said hygiene is still important, particularly before putting on the mask.

"If you choose to wear a face covering, wash your hands first," he said.

Trump also lashed out at Weijia Jiang, a White House correspondent for CBS News, at Friday's briefing. He told her she "ought to be ashamed" of herself and chided her for having a "nasty tone" after she asked for clarity about White House adviser Jared Kushner's comments about the federal government's ventilator stockpile.

At Thursday's briefing, Kushner was pressed on why states were bidding on ventilators rather than the federal government sending them. "The notion of the federal stockpile was it's supposed to be our stockpile. It's not supposed to be states' stockpiles that they then use," Kushner said.

Trump doubled down at Friday's briefing.

"Because we need it for the government, the federal government," Trump said about Kushner's comments. "The federal government needs to it too, not just the states."

APRIL 3, 202001:47

He said the new guidance, based on "consultation and advice from the CDC and top health experts," would come "in the days ahead."

Bloomberg reported the expected guidelines on Thursday.

Trump said during a news briefing on April 2 that he invoked the Defense Production Act to get 3M Company to produce more masks. Trump has previously invoked the act and other measures to get the private sector to ramp up the production of ventilators and respirators.

Earlier this month, Trump extended nationwide social distancing guidelines for another 30 days as coronavirus cases increased. There have been more than 230,000 cases in the U.S. and over 5,400 deaths as of April 3.

The shift in guidelines comes as Dr. Deborah Birx, one of the government's top doctors, warned earlier this week that many as 240,000 people in the U.S. could die from COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus — and that’s only with strict social distancing measures in place.

The mayors of America's two largest cities, Los Angeles and New York, have in recent days urged their residents to wear face coverings when in public.

Birx was careful to caution at the briefing Thursday that any recommendation on masks must be "additive" and not a substitute for existing social distancing guidelines. Birx said people often feel "an artificial sense of protection because they are behind a mask."

"Don't get a false sense of security," she said.

They welcomed news of an imminent advisory.

"Wearing a cloth mask is not a substitute for staying home and regularly washing our hands," the duo said in a joint statement Thursday. "By wearing a cloth mask when in public, we will limit transmission of the virus. Put simply, my mask protects you, and your mask protects me."

Initial CDC guidelines advised Americans against wearing masks unless they were medical professionals or were infected with the virus. The White House has been urging people without symptoms not to buy N95 or medical masks, fearing it would lead to further shortages.

The expected advisory, officials say, is aimed at reducing the risk of spread by people who are infected but are not showing symptoms.

APRIL 3, 202003:05

"I don't think they'll be mandatory, because some people don't want to do that," he said. "If people wanted to wear them, they can. If people want to use scarves, which they have, many people have them, they can. In many cases the scarf is better, it's thicker, depending on the material."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-expected-recommend-masks-americans-coronavirus-hotspots-n11...

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

ToadPOTUS also says he plans to go ahead with the Republican Convention and the combination of no mask and thousands crammed into an arena could reduce tRump voters actually able to make it to the polls to the point not even Gerrymanders and voter suppression can overcome.

Realizing this is the only thing that might change Toad's death dealing "example" for his lofo followers.

Honored Social Butterfly

Does the make your own mask scenario

strike anyone else as a way that trump wants Us to help him fix the mess that he helped to create? Why didn't we have testing and medical prevention supplies three months ago, and due to trump's ego, inaction, denial, and incompetence, why don't We have more tests and medical prevention supplies now...including masks that could be given out by the government, or at least purchased by the Public...where are they and where are the tests!

Just shows what's happens when a supposed leader, does not take advice, 

does not prepare, lies, and does not care...trump. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

Does the make your own mask scenario

strike anyone else as a way that trump wants Us to help him fix the mess that he helped to create? Why didn't we have testing and medical prevention supplies three months ago, and due to trump's ego, inaction, denial, and incompetence, why don't We have more tests and medical prevention supplies now...including masks that could be given out by the government, or at least purchased by the Public...where are they and where are the tests!

Just shows what's happens when a supposed leader, does not take advice, 

does not prepare, lies, and does not care...trump. 

tRump has mishandled this from the beginning.

No photo description available.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"I just don't want to wear one myself, it's a recommendation," he said. "Somehow sitting in the Oval Office behind that beautiful Resolute Desk, the great Resolute Desk, I think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, dictators, kings, queens, I don't know, I don't see it for myself."

One of the funniest, most ridiculous things IMPOTUS has said. 🤣  Does he really expect to be greeting foreign heads of state who will be traveling to the country with the most infections in the world during this pandemic?

Spell it v-a-n-i-t-y. 

Moron. 🤡

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Of course he doesn't see it for himself.  Would mess with his hair, his body language, his ugly mug, his delicate frame of mind.  No matter a mask  PROTECTS OTHERS FROM YOU !

One of the funniest, most ridiculous things IMPOTUS has said. 🤣  Does he really expect to be greeting foreign heads of state who will be traveling to the country with the most infections in the world during this pandemic?

Spell it v-a-n-i-t-y.  Moron. 🤡  INDEED!  He is certifiably insane.  A reporter should, like tomorrow, ask him the WH scheduling for the foreign leaders he is expecting to host.  Who are they and when will they be arriving...?

I intended to watch one of his Rally Task Shows and it was running late, more than a half hour.  But, the camera remained on the room, that was being prepped that entire time.  OMG  There were at least five different people roving all over that platform.  Adjusting stuff, changing above lighting, papers on and off the podium, chatting closely with each other.  Worker bees and not one wearing protections.  And then again as mentioned, when the show is all set to begin, what a tight group we see.

Que sera, sera. 

Honored Social Butterfly

A mask makes his face look orange and it doesn't go with his hair.

Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

lol, I wore a mask today to the grocery store.  It really messed up my hair.  I can totally see Trump's vanity getting in the way here....

Honored Social Butterfly

lol, I wore a mask today to the grocery store. It really messed up my hair. I can totally see Trump's vanity getting in the way here....

I've been wearing one for more then a month when I go out to a store or a job, and I keep one handy when I'm outside.

Unscientific tip.

I use a food dehydrator to sterilize used N95 masks, set it at 150 degrees for one hour.

It does not appear to harm the mask or elastic bands.

Dries the mask out, and kills any virus, then I put the masks in one quart size zip lock bags.

Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

lol, I wore a mask today to the grocery store. It really messed up my hair. I can totally see Trump's vanity getting in the way here....

I've been wearing one for more then a month when I go out to a store or a job, and I keep one handy when I'm outside.

Unscientific tip.

I use a food dehydrator to sterilize used N95 masks, set it at 150 degrees for one hour.

Dries the mask out, and kills any virus, then I put the masks in one quart size zip lock bags.

Cool.  I don't have a food dehydrator.  I was wondering how to sterlize them.   I rotate between two masks, and wear one about once a week.  So I was hoping 7-whatever many days between wearings would let germs die.    I only have a box of 10 of them.  I donated others.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

Unscientific tip.

Great advice Gruffstuff.   I have several 'Biomasks' made by Curad left from my last stem cell transplant. They trap the virus in the second layer of the mask and the metal fibres in that layer kill the virus within 3 days. I alternate my masks so that I let them rest for 4 days before reusing them. Thank goodness I still had these, I really do need them because of my very low immunity from having two transplants. My immunity is permanently compromised. Nitrile exam gloves and these masks are a lifeline for me to go to the grocery and to the doctor's office.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Unscientific tip.

Great advice Gruffstuff.   I have several 'Biomasks' made by Curad left from my last stem cell transplant. They trap the virus in the second layer of the mask and the metal fibres in that layer kill the virus within 3 days. I alternate my masks so that I let them rest for 4 days before reusing them. Thank goodness I still had these, I really do need them because of my very low immunity from having two transplants. My immunity is permanently compromised. Nitrile exam gloves and these masks are a lifeline for me to go to the grocery and to the doctor's office.

do you have enough nitrile gloves? Those I have dozens of....happy to throw some in the mail. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Unscientific tip.

do you have enough nitrile gloves? Those I have dozens of....happy to throw some in the mail. 

Well MP, thank you so much. I still have a few dozenpairs or so left, I think it will give me time to locate some, but if it doesn't I just may take you up on that.  I do think I will be OK, but I will let you know if I running very low.  Thank you so very much.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

lol, I wore a mask today to the grocery store.  It really messed up my hair.  I can totally see Trump's vanity getting in the way here....

Staying safe has it's price, doesn't it?

tRump leads by example, that explains a number within his base being so ignorant.

Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

Trump is already orange ..... except for the raccoon eye sockets where oversized eye shades covered too much in the tanning booth.

A mask would make Trump complete as a Republican bandit ..... robbing from non wealthy Americans to give more to the most wealthy of Americans!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

They do make orange masks, you would think he would love that!  LOL

Honored Social Butterfly

WE need a POTUS who will lead my example.

The example that Trump projects its to defy science and pandemic medical experts. His example leads Governors and citizens across America to defy what the CDC recommends to arrest the progression of Covid 19. 

Trump's example is to defy reality, science and medical experts. This is not the way to lead.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png