Honored Social Butterfly

Trump Says He’ll End Obama-Era Funding To Chinese Lab That May Have Spawned The Coronavirus

BY:  David Krayden

President Donald Trump said Friday he will end federal funding for the Wuhan Institute of Virology that some are claiming spawned the coronavirus.

At the daily coronavirus task force news conference, the president was asked why the National Institutes of Health would include the Chinese laboratory in a $3.7 million dollar stipend to conduct research.

“The Obama administration gave them a grant of $3.7 million. I’ve been hearing about that. We’ve instructed that if any grants are going to that area, we are looking at it literally about an hour ago and also early in the morning,” Trump said.

(RELATED: Tucker Carlson: ‘China Continues To Threaten The Rest Of Us With Wet Markets’)

“We will end the grant very quickly. It was granted quite a while ago. They were granted a substantial amount of money. We are going to look at it and take a look. But I understand it was a number of years ago. When did you hear the grant was made?”

The reporter informed the president that the funding was from 2015.

Trump noted the date and asked, “2015. Who was president then? I wonder.”

Republican Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz raised the issue of the funding earlier this week during an appearance on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

“I’m against funding Chinese research in our country, but I’m sure against funding it in China. The NIH gives this $3.7 million grant to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, they then advertise that they need coronavirus researchers and following that coronavirus erupts in Wuhan,” Gaetz explained.

(RELATED: ‘Stop Eating Bats!’ Lindsey Graham Blasts Wet Markets, Calls on China’s President To ‘Crac...

On Friday, Gaetz tweeted his gratitude to Trump and Health Secretary Alex Azar:  “Thank you President @realDonaldTrump and @SecAzar for committing to end this America Last grant given to labs in Wuhan by the Obama Administration!”

Reports claiming that the COVID-19 virus originated in the Wuhan lab and was released to the local community have gained traction in the last week.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

LOL!  So very predictable!

Right on cue the TDS enraged left is full of bitterness spewing hatred because they are just sore losers from 2016.  Pace yourselves folks, you are likely to have 4 more years with President Trump in the White House.

Take a deep breath, it's going to be OK...  Just think, you guys have another bite at the apple in 2024.

Loser GIF by Playboy Fragrances

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

LOL!  So very predictable!

Right on cue the TDS enraged left is full of bitterness spewing hatred because they are just sore losers from 2016.  Pace yourselves folks, you are likely to have 4 more years with President Trump in the White House.

Take a deep breath, it's going to be OK...  Just think, you guys have another bite at the apple in 2024.

Loser GIF by Playboy Fragrances

Thank you for giving us a photo of a Trump enabler in action.  Just look at all the knowledge she gives out. I assume you put the wording on her photo and yes she fits the  profile of a looser.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

This is nothing but ANOTHER "bright shinny" to distract Toad's lofo base - it's got all the elements the Toadbase needs - a non-white well-educated VILLIAN (Chinese research scientists) to blame for Toad's failures and another racist attack on President Obama.

China produces most of the World's supply of surgical masks, but since Toad has blamed Governors for not having enough of these, our health care workers having even fewer will just show Toad's lofo base how the Governors are failing and Chinese officials are the villians.

Republicans could show they love Country above Party by writing in Romney as their choice in their remaining primaries, but they don't, so they won't.

VOTE OUT ALL THE REPUBLICANS - FREEDOM DEMANDS IT

Honored Social Butterfly

“I’m against funding Chinese research in our country, but I’m sure against funding it in China. The NIH gives this $3.7 million grant to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, they then advertise that they need coronavirus researchers and following that coronavirus erupts in Wuhan.” 

That one short paragraph is full of ignorance. We weren't just willy-nilly handing money to China, it was given because they needed our help, and it was in the interest of our national security that we be there watching and helping them. Now with the funding cut, they will continue whatever they please and we'll be in the dark as to possible danger.

What the U.S. officials learned during their visits concerned them so much that they dispatched two diplomatic cables categorized as Sensitive But Unclassified back to Washington. The cables warned about safety and management weaknesses at the WIV lab and proposed more attention and help. The first cable, which I obtained, also warns that the lab’s work on bat coronaviruses and their potential human transmission represented a risk of a new SARS-like pandemic.

The Chinese researchers at WIV were receiving assistance from the Galveston National Laboratory at the University of Texas Medical Branch and other U.S. organizations, but the Chinese requested additional help. The cables argued that the United States should give the Wuhan lab further support, mainly because its research on bat coronaviruses was important but also dangerous.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/14/state-department-cables-warned-safety-issues-wuha...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Don't forget that Trump sent 18 tons of PPE and ventilators from our country's stockpile to China.

That's gotta be worth a whole lot more than 3.7 million dollars!!!

BTW ...... Trump then ridiculously blamed President Obama for the short fall in our country's stockpile after Trump depleted it!!!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

“I’m against funding Chinese research in our country, but I’m sure against funding it in China. The NIH gives this $3.7 million grant to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, they then advertise that they need coronavirus researchers and following that coronavirus erupts in Wuhan.” 

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

They are just investigating the "lab" theory... so don't get ALL excited cause Trump is all about grabbing  headlines again.   

.The NAME of the WET MARKET .is because it's WET.     

.There are Live fish in open tubs splash water all over the floor. The countertops of the stalls are red with blood as fish are gutted and filleted right in front of the customers' eyes. Live turtles and crustaceans climb over each other in boxes,” he described. “Melting ice adds to the slush on the floor. There's lots of water, blood, fish scales and chicken guts. Things are wet.”

MOST  likely,  it jumped from an animal, probably bats, to humans at a local wet market, where all kinds of exotic animals were slaughtered for consumption.   

These markets need the WHO  to go after them......

Honored Social Butterfly

So...$3.7 million grant to China?  What is that?  One of his trips to Florida?  Asking for a friend. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

“The Obama administration gave them a grant of $3.7 million. I’ve been hearing about that. We’ve instructed that if any grants are going to that area, we are looking at it literally about an hour ago and also early in the morning,” Trump said.

“We will end the grant very quickly. It was granted quite a while ago. They were granted a substantial amount of money. We are going to look at it and take a look. But I understand it was a number of years ago. When did you hear the grant was made?”

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

+++++++++++

It is sad that Trump is still trying to find ways to place blame on anyone and everyone but himself.  He has been at the helm of this nation almost four years now.  Maybe if he bothered to "READ" briefings presented to him and/or ever made the slightest effort to know what the various agencies and departments are doing even on a semi-regular basis, these things would not be such revelations to him.  

The fact is Trump does not know how to lead.  He only knows how to ridicule, blame, and meet out punishment. 

Favorite Trump quote:  "You're FIRED!"

Honored Social Butterfly

But tRump and Ivanka have all of their products manufactured there. Even the MAGA hats are produced there. Trump is a lying hypocrite.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

President Donald Trump said Friday he will end federal funding for the Wuhan Institute of Virology that some are claiming spawned the coronavirus.

At the daily coronavirus task force news conference, the president was asked why the National Institutes of Health would include the Chinese laboratory in a $3.7 million dollar stipend to conduct research.

(RELATED: Tucker Carlson: ‘China Continues To Threaten The Rest Of Us With Wet Markets’)

Republican Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz raised the issue of the funding earlier this week during an appearance on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

“I’m against funding Chinese research in our country, but I’m sure against funding it in China. The NIH gives this $3.7 million grant to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, they then advertise that they need coronavirus researchers and following that coronavirus erupts in Wuhan,” Gaetz explained.

(RELATED: ‘Stop Eating Bats!’ Lindsey Graham Blasts Wet Markets, Calls on China’s President To ‘Crac...

On Friday, Gaetz tweeted his gratitude to Trump and Health Secretary Alex Azar:  “Thank you President @realDonaldTrump and @SecAzar for committing to end this America Last grant given to labs in Wuhan by the Obama Administration!”

Reports claiming that the COVID-19 virus originated in the Wuhan lab and was released to the local community have gained traction in the last week.

And  who mai I ask is David Krayen ? a friend of yous? haha.jpg

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

Trump said the virus was a hoax, and China was doing a great job in handling it.  How come that was never posted for us to read. Here is a fact. You want to get rid of the virus quicker. Get rid of Trump to start with.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png