By Dartunorro Clark

President Donald Trump told reporters on Monday that he has not spoken to the family of Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old Black man who was shot by a white police officer which later sparked protests in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and across the country.

"I spoke with the pastor, wonderful man, the family's pastor, and I thought it would be better not to do anything where there are lawyers involved. They wanted me to speak but they wanted to have lawyers involved and I thought that was inappropriate so I didn't do that," Trump said at Monday's White House briefing.

He added, "I may, at some point...but I just gave my best regards. But again, I spoke with the pastor."

“If the call had occurred, Ms. Jackson was prepared to ask President Trump to watch the video of Mr. Blake’s shooting and to do what she has asked all of America to do -- examine your heart,” Crump said.

Trump is expected to travel to the city, whose Democratic leadership the president has routinely criticized for the unrest in the city following Blake's shooting.

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told Fox News earlier Monday that the president plans to meet with law enforcement while in Kenosha, but has no immediate plans to meet with the family.