Honored Social Butterfly

Trump Is "Not A Civilian" Says White House - Refuses To Follow New Jersey Quarantine Order

Trump will not follow New Jersey coronavirus quarantine order, ‘he’s not a civilian,’ White House says
PUBLISHED WED, JUN 24 20204:42 PM EDT UPDATED WED, JUN 24 20205:58 PM EDT
  • The White House said that President Donald Trump will not change his plan to travel to New Jersey this weekend despite a new order by the governor requiring visitors who have been in states with high numbers of coronavirus cases to quarantine for 14 days.
  • “The president of the United States is not a civilian,” said a White House spokesman when asked about Trump’s compliance with the quarantine order given his travel Tuesday to Arizona, which has seen a rise in the rate of its Covid-19 cases.
  • New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, along with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont, announced that visitors from states with large numbers of coronavirus cases would be required to quarantine for two weeks, or face fines.

The White House said Wednesday that President Donald Trump will not change his plan to travel to New Jersey this weekend despite a new order by the governor requiring visitors who have been in states with high numbers of coronavirus cases to quarantine for 14 days.

“The president of the United States is not a civilian,” said White House spokesman Judd Deere, when asked about Trump’s compliance with the quarantine order given his travel Tuesday to Arizona, which has seen a rise in the rate of its Covid-19 cases.

“Anyone who is in close proximity to him, including staff, guests, and press are tested for COVID-19 and confirmed to be negative,” Deere said in a statement.

“With regard to Arizona, the White House followed it’s COVID mitigation plan to ensure the President did not come into contact with anyone who was symptomatic or had not been tested,” the spokesman added.

“Anyone traveling in support of the president this weekend will be closely monitored for symptoms and tested for COVID and therefore pose little to no risk to the local populations.”

Trump is the commander in chief of the U.S. military, but he has never been a member of the military. 

The president is expected to travel this weekend to his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey. In past visits to the club, he has flown on Air Force One to airports in Newark and Morristown.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, along with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont, on Wednesday announced that visitors from states with large numbers of coronavirus cases would be required to quarantine for two weeks, or face fines.

VIDEO02:18
Trump: Coronavirus ‘testing is a double-edged sword’ and driving up U.S. case numbers

“This is the smart thing to do. We have taken our people ... through hell and back,” Murphy told reporters during a conference call Wednesday.

A spokesman for Murphy declined to comment on the White House’s statement about Trump’s visit to the Garden State.

Cuomo during the same conference call with Murphy said: “We worked very hard to get the viral transmission rate down. We don’t want to see it go up because a lot of people come into this region and they can literally bring the infection with them.”

“Because what happens in New York happens in New Jersey and happens in Connecticut,” Cuomo said.

At least eight people who worked on the advance team for Trump’s rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, have test..., two of whom were Secret Service agents. Two of the other people who tested positive did so after working at the rally, in contrast to the other six, whose test results came before the event occurred.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/24/trump-will-not-follow-new-jersey-coronavirus-quarantine-order.html

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Back on topic here.  I completely agree that Trump is the Commander and Chief of the military. As a result, he had an absolute moral and legal duty to act when Russia placed a bounty on the heads of Americans. United States intelligence officers and Special Operations forces in Afghanistan alerted their superiors as early as January to a suspected Russian plot to pay bounties to the Taliban to kill American troops in Afghanistan.

If Trump can not take time off from TV and Tweeting to read the briefings, he is guilty of dereliction of duty and should be subject to courts martial as Commander in Chief. 

Honored Social Butterfly

A liar, a thief, and a White Supremacist as Commander-In-Chief. Seems to be a dream come true for some.

BLUE WAVE IN 2020 !!!!!!

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Our military (all of it) always has been and still is ... under "civilian" control. That means Trump is a civilian.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

autogrey wrote- Our military (all of it) always has been and still is ... under "civilian" control. That means Trump is a civilian.---------------

The commander-in-chief of the US military at any given time is the president of the United States. This is established in the US Constitution, though in the past other high ranking military officials have also used the title “commander-in-chief” to refer to their position as commander of large operations. In 2002, however, it was declared that only the president of the US would use that title. The president is established as the commander-in-chief to create a central command structure in case of military action, with a chain of command running from the president to the secretary of defense and then to the combatant commanders.-Your history lesson of the day,,,Your welcome

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Civilian.  Citizen.  It's a moot point now.  IMPOTUS is not going.  Seems he needs to stay home and monitor the protests in D.C. and "make sure LAW & ORDER is enforced".  Not sure when he became chief of police or in charge of law enforcement in Wash., but good excuse as any, I guess.  Little chubbo Donnie playing 'cops & robbers protesters'.

Not to mention that even if the president can do and go where he pleases, consequences be condemned, his assorted entourage may fall under the quarantine rule.

Silver Conversationalist

Trump can't be court martialed because he's the highest military authority. He doesn't have to wear a mask because he's not a civilian. This is what he wants us to believe. He's above military and civilian law in a country where no one is above the law.

As long as Barr is AG and the GOP holds the Senate, there's no one that can hold Trump accountable for anything. Precisely what Trump's wanted all along.

Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.
Donald Trump
Gold Conversationalist

@Richva ; He can't be court martial he's got bone spurs 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Gold Conversationalist

It's true he's not a civilian..... He's the Lord of the Land the King of Americans He's the God of the Billion Dollar Party 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 All Hail Trump 😆 😆 😆 😆

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

It is shocking that some seem to believe that donald is more than a civilian.   For the RW - supposed constitutional experts seem to want to push that he is not a civilian.   

According to Article II, Section 2, Clause I of the Constitution, the president of the United States is “Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States.”[57] Since the National Security Act of 1947, this has been understood to mean all United States Armed Forces. U.S. ranks have their roots in British military traditions, with the president possessing ultimate authority, but no rank, maintaining a civilian status

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump Is "Not A Civilian" Says White House........

..... And Trump is "above the law" said the Republican controlled Senate!!!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

There is a difference between what a president must do and what he should do. Trump has spent the last four years showing us how little he must do and we all keep hoping he will actually act like a leader should.  So far.....no such luck. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The White House might be more believable if they were to issue a proclamation stating that trump was
“not a real human being”!

And trump is not to be associated with any attributes of what it is like to be a human being. 

Esteemed Social Butterfly

I see it as just another way to say, "I'm president and I can do whatever I want".

You know, just like a ignorant spoiled brat.  Oh, wait.

Honored Social Butterfly

If he were going for official business, I would feel differently.  He has to do his job.  But he's going to play golf.  So that's just selfish.  Plus, he takes a   c*^& ton of people with him.  Even worse.

Silver Conversationalist

Atta way to set an example, Big Orange. We need more people like you as covid-19 cases skyrocket in CA, TX, FL, and across the Midwest. Masks? We don't need no stinking masks!

He is truly a sociopath. And the Republican Party is an enabler.

Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.
Donald Trump
Honored Social Butterfly

Toad is NOT A "CIVILIAN? Strange choice of words concerning someone whose daddy spent all that money for doctored Xrays so Cadet Bonespurs could remain a gutless draft dodging preppytwit instead of a Soldier.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Toad is NOT A "CIVILIAN? Strange choice of words concerning someone whose daddy spent all that money for doctored Xrays so Cadet Bonespurs could remain a gutless draft dodging preppytwit instead of a Soldier.

Don't see where that is material to this discussion.  But as someone who made the military a career, I wonder how many here has avoided service either by not being drafted before it ended or some other reason, and I volunteered for Vietnam also.  I've heard many apologetic reasons over the years for not serving.   I would believe that Clinton avoided being drafted by using different excuses.

I have no complaints about Trump avoiding the draft, no more than I have about Clinton doing so.  If you have a problem with Trump for some reason then don't use that as an excuse. Many, influential and not, used all sorts of reasons.  Many even fled to Canada.  

But of course, Trump is a public official, namely the President who in his official position isn't subject state laws.  the only ones is those enumerated in the Constitution.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

txgramp

The democrat cultists were mostly draft dodgers, cowards, and ran to canada. They ingested huge amounts of LSD and weed and basically were unfit for service. They were cowards, draft dodgers, commune members, and losers (democrats). Now this is familiar sounding to me. In other words they haven't changed any in 50-60 years and are worse than their parents.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@quidduo wrote:

txgramp

The democrat cultists were mostly draft dodgers, cowards, and ran to canada. They ingested huge amounts of LSD and weed and basically were unfit for service. They were cowards, draft dodgers, commune members, and losers (democrats). Now this is familiar sounding to me. In other words they haven't changed any in 50-60 years and are worse than their parents.

Nice to see you calling Trump a draft dodger, coward etc. Trump avoided the draft for the Naum war with a so called bone spur. He did not run to Canada he just remained a mob boss in NY. Trump is a loser as you said.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Trump will not follow New Jersey coronavirus quarantine order, ‘he’s not a civilian,’ White House says

I'm not a supporter of Trump (contrary to what some thinks) , but technically they are correct; he is a public official with his being President of the United States. 

There is no reason the quarantine order would not apply to anyone traveling to the state from those affected by the order.  They could be prosecuted for any violation, with the possible exception of those directly connected to the President.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote in blue text:

I'm not a supporter of Trump (contrary to what some thinks(sic) , but technically they are correct; he is a public official with his being President of the United States.  All elected officials, including POTUS have to be a citizen  to be elected. Yes, the President is still a citizen.

There is no reason the quarantine order would not apply to anyone traveling to the state from those affected by the order. As it should also apply to tRump. They could be prosecuted for any violation, As tRump should also be, when he is voted out of office in November with the possible exception of those directly connected to the President.  The president is responsible for all of them, Unless the statute of limitations comes prior to January when tRump leaves office perhaps both New York and New Jersey both will prosecute tRump on state charges upon his leaving office.  Maybe he could get lucky and run consecutive sentences.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

All elected officials, including POTUS have to be a citizen  to be elected. Yes, the President is still a citizen.

Nothing has been said about Trump not being a "citizen".  Apparently you are confusing citizen with civilian.  But in the context here of him having to obey directives of New Jersey he is not necessarily to be considered a "civilian'".  Rather he is a government official, namely the President of the United States, whether we like him or not.

Might consider that he has the same as diplomatic immunity, that is granted to the office by the Constitution, while traveling the various states

This isn't a partisan issue.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

All elected officials, including POTUS have to be a citizen  to be elected. Yes, the President is still a citizen.

Nothing has been said about Trump not being a "citizen".  Apparently you are confusing citizen with civilian.  But in the context here of him having to obey directives of New Jersey he is not necessarily to be considered a "civilian'".  Rather he is a government official, namely the President of the United States, whether we like him or not.

Might consider that he has the same as diplomatic immunity, that is granted to the office by the Constitution, while traveling the various states

This isn't a partisan issue.

Of you think someone is "confusing " this, write a letter or send an email to the White House officials, they said "citizen".

Consider what you want, a POTUS is subject to the law. He may or may not be able to be charged or indicted while in office, but he certainly can upon leaving office.

The White House stated this, they are Republicans, so yes it a sense it is "partisan issue".  If some Republicans take a position against that what the White House said, then I will agree that it's not "partisan".

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 

No one has said that Trump isn't a citizen but you seem to think that is what the discussion is about.  It is that he is not only a civilian but the President of the United States.  That gives him privileges that is different from other citizens as I have outlined.   For some reason you seem intent on making this a partisan discussion.  Your remark about Republicans has no relation to this discussion and apparently was referring to the 2016 election.

The President is subject to the law under the conditions outlined in the Constitution.  I believe the extent is now under discussion in the courts.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 

No one has said that Trump isn't a citizen but you seem to think that is what the discussion is about.  It is that he is not only a civilian but the President of the United States.  That gives him privileges that is different from other citizens as I have outlined.   For some reason you seem intent on making this a partisan discussion.  Your remark about Republicans has no relation to this discussion and apparently was referring to the 2016 election.

The President is subject to the law under the conditions outlined in the Constitution.  I believe the extent is now under discussion in the courts.

I have said nothing that is "partisan", you seem to use that as an excuse in every debate. I have said nothing about what either political party thinks about this, only what the White House said. You are the one who brought up "partisanship", I mentioned the White House being all Republican only as a response to your comment about it. So you tell me ....... is the White House "partisan"?

I beg your pardon, the President is subject to all laws. No one has ever tried to indict a sitting President to find out if it could be done, it's untested water. But one thing is for sure ....... tRump can be indicted for violating any state or federal law once he leaves office, as long as it hasn't went past the statute of limitations. Most likely, New York is going to indict him on state charges. I hope his hind end ends up i prison and it very likely will, unless Putin rescues him and he flees to Russia. I hope he takes his family with him.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I beg your pardon, the President is subject to all laws. No one has ever tried to indict a sitting President to find out if it could be done

That is a grey area about no one trying to indict a sitting President.  Nixon was found to be an unindicted co-conspirator in the Watergate matter.  He resigned in disgrace which was considered punishment enough.  Agnew was forced to resign, then  in 1973 he pleaded no contest to a charge of tax evasion.

The U.S. Justice Department has a decades-old policy that a sitting president cannot be indicted, indicating that criminal charges against Trump would be unlikely, according to legal experts.

And of course Trump could face state charges, like Agnew, more likely after his term of office is past.  For any charges while he is in office is already outlined in the Constitution and has been brought against him by the impeachment that failed to convict.  

As far as your partisanship, that can be left up to anyone reading your posts.  Myself I am more independent in my politics.   I support our local representatives, Federal and State, both Republican, in many areas and some I don't.  And again, I don't agree on quotas like those who are partisan in their politics, but the person.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

As far as your partisanship, that can be left up to anyone reading your posts.  Myself I am more independent in my politics.   I support our local representatives, Federal and State, both Republican, in many areas and some I don't.  And again, I don't agree on quotas like those who are partisan in their politics, but the person.

Trying to use "partisanship" as a personal attack or an insult simply isn't working.

Being supposedly "independent" helped get trump elected in 2016. Congratulations.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Trying to use "partisanship" as a personal attack or an insult simply isn't working.

Being supposedly "independent" helped get trump elected in 2016. Congratulations.

Speaking of personal attacks!!!  Of course everyone was supposed to vote for Hillary because 'it was time to vote for a female' and it was 'her time'.   Apparently someone is/was attempting to tell others how to vote.

The Democratic candidate was the only person that Trump was sure to beat. 

Sounds like the young kid who told me that others have rights, but I don't unless I agree with them.

Since this has gone completely off-topic....Have a good day pardner.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote in blue text:

Speaking of personal attacks!!!  Of course everyone was supposed to vote for Hillary because 'it was time to vote for a female' and it was 'her time'. No, it just shouldn't have been tRump's time! Voting for Hillary helped make it be tRump's time  Apparently someone is/was attempting to tell others how to vote. Not true, just explaining how their vote effected the election ..... big difference.

The Democratic candidate was the only person that Trump was sure to beat. And a vote for anyone other than the Democratic Candidate helped get tRump elected.

Sounds like the young kid who told me that others have rights, but I don't unless I agree with them. All of us had the 'right' to vote for whomever they choose.  All of us should have had the sense to know what could and did happen if we voted for anyone other than the Democratic candidate.

Since this has gone completely off-topic....Have a good day pardner.  Then stop taking it off-topic "pardner".  I always have good days (and nights).

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png