Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Trump Effect: Illegal Border Crossings Continue to Plummet

Message 1 of 6

No,  I do believe that crossings have decrease, and yes, many are afraid to come in and get sent back quickly.
Apart from the fact that maybe employers are now really enforcing the laws and will not hire undocs as easily as they were doing before.

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump Effect: Illegal Border Crossings Continue to Plummet

Message 2 of 6

Some excellent points were made by Richva earlier in this thread.

But overall, the author's position reminds me of those who look at homicide stats and draw conclusions after looking at only a few months of statistical data. Social scientists understand that homicide stats are only significant when followed and analyzed over a long period of time because random conditions can impact short term changes in the numbers. That's why they only consider long term trends. 

Anyone who tries to prove Trump's policies are, or are not working, after only 100 days is making a flawed argument. Let's wait and see what happens over a 2 year time frame before drawing conclusions.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 6

Good. No need to spend billions on a wall if DJT can scare everyone away.

Besides, it's been shown that most illegals are visa overstays, and many of those came by plane and never left. Seems to me the money is better spent on techonology and means of tracking visas. Why should they get a free ticket in?

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6

@Richva wrote:

A true statement. They do continue to drop.  This reminds me of the GOP Congressman who bragged his bill was so much better than a competing bill because it was half the size. What is the criteria for success?

Border crossings are down because of uncertainty in the United States. That is spilling into construction, nonunion manufacturing, and all sorts of service industries.  Incapable of proposing actual immigration reforms which are so obviously needed, Trump has simply created enough chaos that these minimum wage workers stay home.  

I think your definition of victory needs work. 

Pyrrhic Victory.jpg

Richva,  Another explanation is that they have simply gotten worse at catching them and are trying to turn that into a positive.  To use these facts to say Trump's policies are working is simplistic at best.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6

A true statement. They do continue to drop.  This reminds me of the GOP Congressman who bragged his bill was so much better than a competing bill because it was half the size. What is the criteria for success?

Border crossings are down because of uncertainty in the United States. That is spilling into construction, nonunion manufacturing, and all sorts of service industries.  Incapable of proposing actual immigration reforms which are so obviously needed, Trump has simply created enough chaos that these minimum wage workers stay home.  

I think your definition of victory needs work. 

Pyrrhic Victory.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 6

Apprehensions at Mexican border drop five percent in April; down 67 percent from last year

by Brendan Kirby | 09 May 2017 at 4:34 PM

Customs and Border Protection officers stopped 15,780 people trying to cross the southwest border last month, the fewest in the last six years, according to the latest statistics published by the agency.

The numbers continue a sharp decline since President Donald Trump took office and indicate that border jumping has fallen dramatically. Experts generally consider that for every person apprehended, one makes it past border defenses.

“Even though Congress did not fund those priorities, the fact that he keeps talking about it means the word gets around the world.”

Immigration hawks attributed the decline to Trump’s get-tough rhetoric, backed up by stiffer enforcement measures. The numbers have fallen even though Congress has not appropriated money for a border wall and even though it is soon for additional Border Patrol officers to have hit the field.

“It’s an extension of the president’s tough talk on immigration enforcement,” said Chris Chmielenski, director of content and activism and NumbersUSA. “Even though Congress did not fund those priorities, the fact that he keeps talking about it means the word gets around the world.”

Border Patrol agents nabbed 11,129 people trying to crash the border in April. Customs agents stopped another 4,651 people trying to pass through a customs station with false documents, by hiding in a vehicle or some other means. The total of 15,780 people stopped represents a 5 percent drop from March. Compared with April 2016, border apprehensions are down 67 percent.

READ MORE:  http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/trump-effect-illegal-border-crossings-continue-plummet/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The TRUMP effect...  I like it!  #MAGA  One day at a time.  

VIMTSTL
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.

Top Authors