Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump Creates Farm Crisis - Taxpayers Pay Farmers

Message 61 of 108

@gordyfl wrote:

It is a complex issue, and I don't like to see our farmers put in a bind, but I noticed that Trump believes welfare recipients shouldn't get money unless they work. Food stamp recipients will get boxes of food in place of money. But farmers get cash because they're hurting. I just wonder how long this bailout will last. Maybe it's only temporary. Maybe the auto industry will be next. 

Yeah, who gets to decide? The GOP had a conniption fit over Obama's auto bailouts, yet every one of those were paid back. When will the farmers pay us back? And where do we draw the line at industries his tariffs are killing? 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 108

@gordyfl wrote:

It is a complex issue, and I don't like to see our farmers put in a bind, but I noticed that Trump believes welfare recipients shouldn't get money unless they work. Food stamp recipients will get boxes of food in place of money. But farmers get cash because they're hurting. I just wonder how long this bailout will last. Maybe it's only temporary. Maybe the auto industry will be next. 

Yeah Temporary until Tuesday, November 6, 2018......................then the Farmers will be on their own until the Summer of 2020..................

Here's the fact of the matter..................the Farmers are going to be subsidized by the Federal Government & paid in US Tax Payers dollars - not because Tarriffs are preventing them from getting the raw materials they need to grow and produce their crops or because the Tariffs are preventing them from getting food grown on their American farms to American consumers.....................it's because American Farmers can;t get their American Grown Produce to China economically...............

I live in NH where the Price of a Lobster Roll costs more than the down payment on a Truck - WHY because right next door in Maine - 60% of the Lobsters farmed off the Coast of Maine are shipped to China because they pay better.....................................Susan Collins R Maine is making a Big Deal about Tariffs too - but not as a advocate for the American Consumer - she too is advoacting for the Chinese Consumer just like the Government Representatives in the Midwest - sure it helps the Maine Lobsterman who hires 1 guy per boat and the midwest farmers who do 85% of their Faming by Machine

BUT

Hardly any of this Farming debate is about helping the Majority of Americans who are the Consumers of products grown or harvested in the USA - it's about protecting Foreign Consumers of American Farmers Products

The US Auto and Steel Industry is a entire different set of circumstances - tariffs are preventing them from getting Raw Materials

Something is not Right with this Picture

( " If I do not believe as you believe, it proves that you do not believe as I believe, and this is all that it proves. Sam Adams )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 108

@Panjandrum wrote:

It will last long enough for the bailed out farmers to vote Republican in November. Even Trump is smart enough to know he can't risk losing them in an election cycle.

Very true. Question becomes - how many more "voter bailouts" will he have to initiate to keep them on his side? Farmers are a big target in retaliatory tariffs, but they are not alone. 

The only thing Trump has managed to negotiate is painting himself into a corner. As is his usual practice, he tries to spend his way out of it. Maybe that's why he went bankrupt so many times.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 108

gordyfl:  But farmers get cash because they're hurting. I just wonder how long this bailout will last. 

It will last long enough for the bailed out farmers to vote Republican in November. Even Trump is smart enough to know he can't risk losing them in an election cycle.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 108

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 108

easyed598:  "WIN WIN-I was referring to tarrifs we collect from  foreign imports will be used to pay farmers and other companies.You also don`t acknowledge the many new jobs that will be created now that we can be competitive with foreign companies."

Bless you easyed.....I think you got that info out of the folder marked "How Tax Cuts Will Pay For Themselves"

Where did Trump find $12B to bail out farmers?

"The Trump administration said Tuesday it would offer up to $12 billion in support to U.S. farmers who are being excluded from export markets because of the ongoing trade war between the U.S. and its major trading partners.

Those payments are allowed under federal law governing the Commodity Credit Corporation, a Department of Agriculture agency that was created in 1933 to provide price support for farmers.

The CCC is allowed to draw funds from the U.S. Treasury without needing any additional authorization from Congress. According to a Congressional Research Service report, the CCC has "permanent indefinite authority" to borrow money up to a limit set by Congress, which is currently $30 billion.

CCC-funded programs are defined as mandatory spending that don't require congressional appropriation, CRS said. Additionally, the agency is allowed to have nonrecoverable losses and routinely makes several billion dollars of nonrecoverable payments each year."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/where-did-trump-find-12b-to-bail-out-farmers

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Trump Creates Farm Crisis - Taxpayers Pay Farmers

Message 67 of 108

Here's a common sense question for EasyEd which he will get wrong. 

EasyEd's repeatedlly stated our economy is booming, unemployment is down, and it couldn't get any better. If tariffs were hurting us as Trump claimed, why or how was our economy booming? Why impose tariffs when everything was firing on all cylinders?

It won't be obvious to EasyEd, but tariffs were NOT hurting our economy at all.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 108

Common sense says that China will still buy our soy beans from our farmers . They can` t grow enough to feed their own people because of  their antequated farming. Although they have made some progress recently they still can`t feed a billion people. They  also buy our fertilizer that helps grow soy beans,which they don`t produce from  their farming industry. They will be force to deal fairly in the future tarriff discussions. Which is Trump`s goal in the first place.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Trump Creates Farm Crisis - Taxpayers Pay Farmers

Message 69 of 108

I have a better question for EasyEd. Our farmers across middle America were doing great until Trump started personal trade wars earlier this year. Ever since Trump made that dumb decision, they've been losing money. Here's the question for Ed:

Since the farmers were doing great, why invoke stupid Trade Wars?

Bonus Question:

Why are so many Republican Senators opposed to Trump's tariffs?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 108

Critical wrote---If you want definitive proof that Trump Cult members have zero understanding of economics, please read the following.

"WIN WIN-I was referring to tarrifs we collect from  foreign imports will be used to pay farmers and other companies.You also don`t acknowledge the many new jobs that will be created now that we can be competitive with foreign companies."---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------So ,if you are the expert on tarrifs, where do the increased billions we collect from foreign countries go?   We are going to reimburse farmers 14 billion dollars. Please explain  why that money won`t be used for that purpose.   Zero understanding of economics seems to be lacking in your thought process.

Kudos
Views