Medicare open enrollment begins Tuesday! Visit the AARP Medicare Resource Center for the information you need to make your best choices.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump: Consumers Can Handle 10% Tariffs

Message 1 of 3

When Trump was asked about whether consumers would have an adverse reaction to paying more for these types of products, Trump said, “Maybe. Maybe. Depends on what the rate is.”

The 10 percent rate, he said, could be “very easily” shouldered by consumers.

Trump suggested companies consider relocating facilities if they want to avoid steep tariffs:

“What I’d advise is for them to build factories in the United States and to make the product here,” he told the Journal.

Not going to happen.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/26/18113368/trump-iphone-10-percent-tariffs-possibility

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Huawei Passes Apple in Smartphone Share for the First Time

July 31, 2018

Huawei Technologies Co. pulled ahead of Apple Inc. to claim the No. 2 position in global smartphone shipments in the second quarter just behind Samsung Electronics Co., solidifying the rise of Chinese competitors.
Xiaomi Corp. and Oppo, both based in China, rounded out the top five.
Chinese smartphone makers have been gaining influence as their domestic market grows and they expand abroad.

Huawei has pushed into Europe and Africa, though it’s failed to crack the massive U.S. market.

Apple tends to sell iPhones at higher prices than its rivals.
Huawei’s exclusion from the U.S. has forced it to work harder in Asia and Europe to achieve its goals.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-01/china-s-huawei-passes-apple-in-smartphone-share-f...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump: Consumers Can Handle 10% Tariffs

Message 2 of 3

That 10% tariff is really a tax on Americans to reimburse the Fed. Govt. for the Trump tax cut. We saw GM announce the closing of a number of factories today. A part of what went into that was the increase in steel prices due to Tariffs imposed by Trump on products from China which increased the price on all steel also. Once again you see how your tax cut is being taken back by the Fed. Govt.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Trump: Consumers Can Handle 10% Tariffs

Message 3 of 3

Nov. 26, 2018

Trump Says Consumers ‘Could Stand’ 10 Percent Tariff on iPhones

The news comes four days ahead of a summit between Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping.

Apple Stock Drops - Apple stock has already fallen more than 20% this month.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/26/18113368/trump-iphone-10-percent-tariffs-possibility

The 10% tariffs on I-Phones sounds like a strange move by Trump.
Although I can't remember the exact numbers, from what I read, it costs Apple, on average, about $200 to have their I-Phones manufactured in China (parts included). Apple makes several hundred dollars in profit on each phone sold.

The reason for the large mark-up is because Apple owns the technology. China just does the manufacturing and takes about $50 of the $200 for each phone.
So, how will the 10% tariffs hurt Apple?
For each I-Phone NOT sold, China loses $50 and Apple loses several hundred dollars.
But China can make up much of the difference if their own people buy a China-made cell phone - instead of an I-Phone.

One possible scenario - Apple could move its Chinese manufacturing plants out of China to Taiwan, for example. It will cost Apple money to move, but they will avoid the 10% tariffs. In other words, Trump will try to hurt China, even though he'll be hurting Apple, as well - and the American consumer.

Or....maybe this just an empty threat before he meets Chinese leader Xi Jinping.

+++++++++++++++++++++
10 Chinese Phone Makers

According to a study by Trendforce, Chinese phone makers represented 6 of the global top 10 in smartphones.

The 6 brands are: Lenovo, Xiaomi, ZTE, TCL/Alcatel, Huawei and Coolpad.

Here’s a rundown of the Chinese phone makers - in alphabetical order:

Alcatel - The formerly French phone maker was bought by Chinese television giant TCL in 2013.

Coolpad - China’s Coolpad sells more devices in its home market than either Apple or Samsung.

Gionee - The Chinese firm thinks it can be top five inside five years.

Huawei - The Chinese firm has deployed its products and services in more than 170 countries.

Lenovo - Lenovo had bought IBM’s laptop business to put down a footprint in computing, and it did something similar when it acquired Motorola from Google for $2.9bn.

Oppo - Chinese company was the top smartphone brand in China in 2016.

OnePlus - Is an independent spin-off of Oppo.

Tecno - This smaller firm has taken Nigeria in particular by storm, and currently sells around 12.5m handsets across the African continent every quarter.

Xiaomi - Xiaomi sells primarily in Asian markets, but is now targeting India, Latam and Africa.

ZTE - It is one of China's leading telecom equipment manufacturers.

https://www.hottopics.ht/8686/10-chinese-phone-makers-to-your-pocket/

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors