Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Trump Approves Opioid 10x Stronger Fentanyl

Message 21 of 52

@Cirice wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

From a libertarian perspective, there is no opioid crisis.

You know how Trump avoids drinking alcoholic beverages because he knows that he has a genetic predisposition to alcohol addiction?  The same personal responsibility applies to potential opioid abusers. The government shouldn't treat an adult individual as a child by protecting that individual from his/her own stupidity.  Besides, people who take opiates and are not in pain deserve to die because they are spoiling it for chronic pain sufferers.  

Incidentally, I took 25 mcg./hr. fentanyl patches and hated it.   It seems that I have a genetic predisposition to dislike agonists of μ-opioid receptors and like agonists of the κ-opioid receptors.  I know my genetic predispositions with opiates. Too bad everybody isn't like me, huh?  

Actually, since you also have a genetic predisposition, it's really too bad that you can't understand how people who have the opposite genetic predisposition might deserve some help.

Personally, I hate opioids, too. They make me sick. My grandma is the same way. But I also know that there are other people who love them just as much as I hate them, and through no fault of their own. They most likely did not know about their genetic predisposition until they had already taken an opioid -- the same way that you and I both found out that we hate opioids.

I think they deserve help. You think they deserve to die. Who is right?

Wrong as usual.  I never said that I hate opiates.  I said that I "dislike agonists of μ-opioid receptors and like agonists of the κ-opioid receptors.

To elaborate so you will understand, most, but not all opiates, are μ receptor agonists, including heroin, fentanyl and sufentanil.  One of the bad side effects of μ receptor agonists on me is that they cause the tympani muscles in my ears to twitch, which is annoying. Also, these opiates are relatively ineffective in reducing pain while I exercise compared to when I am sedate.  I take and like the opioid, pentazocine, which is a  κ receptor agonist and μ receptor antagonist.  Since κ receptor agonists are rare, FYI, another one is butorphanol, which is available as a nasal spray.  Such opiates effectively reduce pain while I exercise, do not cause my tympani muscles to twitch, do not produce euphoria, cause negligible tolerance development and, when I stop taking them, there are no withdrawal symptoms.  For most people, such opiates are relatively ineffective.  Too bad for them.

As for "Who is right?," the answer is probably the people without a recent history of stupid mistakes.

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 52

A person declared disabled by the SSA, which includes those with a terminal illness, gets 100% of their own benefit regardless of age.  

It was less then $ 800 a month minus Medicare in 2004, she ended up with about $ 100 a week to live / pay bills with.  She was basically homeless and stayed with friends, but near the end she was to sick and ended up with her brother in hospice.

She had stage 5 bone cancer, she sold her pain meds and used Advil for pain. She could have lived with us, rent and board free, but we live in Hooterville and she wanted to be with her community in the big city. She had an old truck her father gave her when he died, I paid the insurance on it and kept it running.

She had a good heart, in spite of having a rough life, she never got bitter.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 52

@aruzinsky wrote:

As for me, I avoid that habit by intentionally getting banned often, which I recommend for everyone.

"Addiction is never Cured" - Wrong as usual.  Addiction is always cured by the death of the addict.  And, liberals grossly underestimate the degree to which people deserve that cure.

It must be that time again... 😉

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 52

@aruzinsky wrote:

From a libertarian perspective, there is no opioid crisis.

You know how Trump avoids drinking alcoholic beverages because he knows that he has a genetic predisposition to alcohol addiction?  The same personal responsibility applies to potential opioid abusers. The government shouldn't treat an adult individual as a child by protecting that individual from his/her own stupidity.  Besides, people who take opiates and are not in pain deserve to die because they are spoiling it for chronic pain sufferers.  

Incidentally, I took 25 mcg./hr. fentanyl patches and hated it.   It seems that I have a genetic predisposition to dislike agonists of μ-opioid receptors and like agonists of the κ-opioid receptors.  I know my genetic predispositions with opiates. Too bad everybody isn't like me, huh?  

Actually, since you also have a genetic predisposition, it's really too bad that you can't understand how people who have the opposite genetic predisposition might deserve some help.

Personally, I hate opioids, too. They make me sick. My grandma is the same way. But I also know that there are other people who love them just as much as I hate them, and through no fault of their own. They most likely did not know about their genetic predisposition until they had already taken an opioid -- the same way that you and I both found out that we hate opioids.

I think they deserve help. You think they deserve to die. Who is right?

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 52

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

That means that, if an opioid addict, who is being treated for addiction with buprenorphine (Suboxone), has an emergency surgery, the only thing that will relieve his/her pain from surgery is Sufentanil.

It's like liberals never heard the expression, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Any doctor who treats an addict or alcoholic with Suboxone is making a grave mistake. Suboxone is a mood altering addictive drug. The only answer for addiction is detoxing and then the addict or alcoholic has to find a means of abstinence. Oddly, it is usually achieved through some sort of spiritual program.

Glad to see you are familiar with "the road to Hell".

State your sources instead of pontificating. 

Suboxone is an opioid which, like methadone, is used to treat addiction to other opiates such as heroin.  It is the lesser of evils and can be viewed as a weaning of opiates, i.e., a gradual "detoxifying."  Suboxone is not used to treat alcoholics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buprenorphine/naloxone

"Contraindications are severe respiratory or liver impairment and acute alcoholism."

Doctors need a special license to prescribe Suboxone but not to prescribe methadone.  

https://drugabuse.com/library/opiate-addiction-withdrawal/

"On average, these opioid withdrawal symptoms can begin between 12 and 30 hours after last use and will last between 4 and 10 days in most situations, although someone withdrawing from a longer-acting opioid drug like methadone will require up to 21 days to end this acute withdrawal phase."

After physical addiction wears off, people should take personal responsibility for psychological addiction because it is 100% their fault.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 52
Mick posted..

Scott Gottlieb, President Donald Trump’s nominee for FDA commissioner, has strong conservative credentials and a close relationship with the pharmaceutical industry

======================================================
Thanks for that information it shows your headline was not true as I stated...again you made it up!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 52

@gruffstuff wrote:

I will say this, people get sick, they have cancer  or such, they get almost nothing in SS disability, and they end up selling their pain meds for food. 

Seen it happen, so powerful drugs meant for end of life end up on the street and we end up with an opiate epidemic.

That just spreads the pain.

A person declared disabled by the SSA, which includes those with a terminal illness, gets 100% of their own benefit regardless of age.  

If it calculates out to be lower than SSI ( Supplemental Security Income)'then they get that amount.

I can't see selling these very valuable pain relief on the street initiated by the ill person - an unethical, evil,  cruel caregivers or a family member maybe-

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 52

.....And then again, could this not only be about making more money for the monied, but an even more sinister endeavor at population control?  Just a thought.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 52

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Trump Approves Opioid 10x Stronger Fentanyl ....No it was not Trump....The real story...

F.D.A. Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Warnings of Likely Abuse
The drug Dsuvia is a form of sufentanil, a synthetic opioid used intravenously and in epidurals that is 10 times stronger than fentanyl, a parent drug associated with tens of thousands of overdose deaths in recent years.CreditCreditCraig Sherod/AcelRx Pharmaceuticals, via Associated Press
By Abby Goodnough
Nov. 2, 2018

WASHINGTON — The Food and Drug Administration on Friday approved a new form of an extremely potent opioid to manage acute pain in adults, weeks after the chairman of the advisory committee that reviewed it asked the agency to reject it on grounds that it would likely be abused.

The drug, Dsuvia, is a tablet form of sufentanil, a synthetic opioid that has been used intravenously and in epidurals since the 1980s. It is 10 times stronger than fentanyl, a parent drug that is often used in hospitals but is also produced illegally in forms that have caused tens of thousands of overdose deaths in recent years.

Although the F.D.A. advisory committee charged with evaluating the new formulation ultimately recommended in a 10-3 vote last month that the agency approve it, the panel’s chairman, Dr. Raeford Brown, wrote a letter to top F.D.A. officials afterward expressing deep concern.

In the letter, which he wrote with leaders of the consumer advocacy group Public Citizen, Dr. Brown, an anesthesiology professor at the University of Kentucky, described Dsuvia, made by AcelRx Pharmaceuticals, as “an extremely divertible drug,” adding, “I predict that we will encounter diversion, abuse and death within the early months of its availability on the market.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/02/health/dsuvia-fda-opoid.html

Scott Gottlieb, President Donald Trump’s nominee for FDA commissioner, has strong conservative credentials and a close relationship with the pharmaceutical industry.

Source - https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/heres-what-we-know-about-trumps-fda-head-nominee/

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 52

I spent ten hours watching my brother die from cancer. He begged me to slit his throat.  Don't ever crtiticize strong pain killers.

They have their place, I watched people I loved die, but that was a end of life hospice at home thing, not long term pain management.

I will say this, people get sick, they have cancer  or such, they get almost nothing in SS disability, and they end up selling their pain meds for food. 

Seen it happen, so powerful drugs meant for end of life end up on the street and we end up with an opiate epidemic.

That just spreads the pain.

Kudos
Views