Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Trans Boy Wins Girls Track Championship. Is This Fair?"

Message 1 of 13

PC - I agree.   In the meantime, people need to consider the facts as we know them rather than knee-jerk opinions that may come back to bite them.      As the father of the winning racer said, anytime a person is transitioning from male to female competes in a female contest, it will make news.    If a person who is transitioning loses a race, it will not make the news.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 13

Hey Afisher!  One  would certainly hope that the door swings both ways on this. Girls who are transitioning to males  whohave not been receiving hormones would be at a disadvantage competing against genetic males  just as males who are transitioning to females who have not been receiving hormones would be at advantage  competing against females.

It's going yotake some time for everyone to figure this one out, and one can only hope that it is done with compassion and dignity throughout the United States and other countries.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the topic.     It led me to wonder about the use of hormones and as usual, the age at which these medications are used is still up for debate.    The Frontline article presents the problems with the  - well, they should be able to compete, but only after using hormones - is not a one size fits all.

As the link suggests, the start age should be more around the age of 15, which is the age of this particular athlete.   http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/when-transgender-kids-transition-medical-risks-are-both-kn...

As the article suggests, would this be talked about when a girl participates in a male sporting event and won?

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 13

@pc6063 wrote:

Thanks for the link to the real article. Since this young lady had not started hormone therapy, which I feel should be a prerequisite,  it seems unfair to the other competitors, but then one has to think about what the young person transitioning is going through. 

It's a hard call, and I am glad both competitors were mature and gracious.

Yes I agree with you on that.  I am sure many schools and organizations have had little experience with this issue and more "standard practices" will be adopted.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 13

Thanks for the link to the real article. Since this young lady had not started hormone therapy, which I feel should be a prerequisite,  it seems unfair to the other competitors, but then one has to think about what the young person transitioning is going through. 

It's a hard call, and I am glad both competitors were mature and gracious.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 13

@alferdpacker wrote:

As the sibling of a trans male who transitioned all the way from male to female, I saw that after a couple years of female hormone therapy and male hormone blocking, the male strength that he formerly possessed was gone - his greater male muscular strength had changed - he previously had large biceps - they were gone - his detoids had shrunk similarly - etc etc.  

None of that bothered him the tiniest bit - his breasts had developed and his hips looked like a woman's hips - he was delighted to be looking like a she.

Better ask doctors, athletic trainers and physiologists who can make scientifically valid measurements and from them draw valid science based conclusions as to whether an unfair advantage actually exists in all cases - and how long female hormone therapy takes to have a significant effect and "level the playing field".

I'd like to see some real science based information - there's no question it exists...

I definitely agree that a history of hormone therapy should be a mandatory prerequisite to being able to compete as a different sex than one's birth sex.

You make great points.  I never considered the variety of issues that would come up in this area and found it interesting.  For every step forward new questions come up but it is worthwhile to talk about these issues and move forward.  Hopefully it will help to open more dialogue and understanding 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 13

@pc6063 wrote:

Hey AP--I agree that hormone therapy should be a prerequisite for competitive sports for a transgender person. The original piece seems to be just an opinion piece, as noted by NM, and so we really don't know where this young lady was in her transition, but the fact that the young lady was identified as a male, and the author called participation in a girls meet "nonsense," tells me this author is very biased.

Here is the link from Nerdy moms post which gives much more info. 

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-jacobs-column-yearwood-transgender-0531-20170530-column.html

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 13

@NerdyMom wrote:

I'm afraid I can't get to any article from that link.  It seems to be just a short comment section. 

I found some other articles about it, though.  I like this one, in particular, underscoring that the entire issue is complex. http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-jacobs-column-yearwood-transgender-0531-20170530-column.html

I personally would feel better if she had already started hormone therapy.  It seems the NCAA (college) requires hormone therapy for participation.   I don't think it's bad to focus more on inclusivity during high school rather than on competition.   But this is just my personal opinion, looking at the totality of social/emotional development of kids.  

Thank you for your link which is to the article in the paper rather than the opinion.   It provides much more information.   

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 13

Hey AP--I agree that hormone therapy should be a prerequisite for competitive sports for a transgender person. The original piece seems to be just an opinion piece, as noted by NM, and so we really don't know where this young lady was in her transition, but the fact that the young lady was identified as a male, and the author called participation in a girls meet "nonsense," tells me this author is very biased.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 13

As the sibling of a trans male who transitioned all the way from male to female, I saw that after a couple years of female hormone therapy and male hormone blocking, the male strength that he formerly possessed was gone - his greater male muscular strength had changed - he previously had large biceps - they were gone - his detoids had shrunk similarly - etc etc.  

None of that bothered him the tiniest bit - his breasts had developed and his hips looked like a woman's hips - he was delighted to be looking like a she.

Better ask doctors, athletic trainers and physiologists who can make scientifically valid measurements and from them draw valid science based conclusions as to whether an unfair advantage actually exists in all cases - and how long female hormone therapy takes to have a significant effect and "level the playing field".

I'd like to see some real science based information - there's no question it exists...

I definitely agree that a history of hormone therapy should be a mandatory prerequisite to being able to compete as a different sex than one's birth sex.

44>dolt45
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.

Top Authors