Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Tom Brokaw

Message 1 of 27

Poor Brokaw has been unfairly attacked for making reasonable, positive statements.

But, stupid Brokaw did the pc, modern thing - he apologized.

When you analyse his message it was all to the benefit of the people he was accused of (and apologized for) attacking.

It is time we looked at things through the lens of reality instead of the lens of imagined offense and needed racism.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 27

@rk9152 wrote:

I'm not the Prez of his fan club but the guy made a reasonable statement about cultural assimilation and is being raked over the coals by the left.

What a sick world the left is creating with all their victimology.

I point out that his shoddy treatment by younger liberals demonstrates that neoMarxist values, e.g., political correctness, took precedence over the traditional value, "Respect your elders." 

Is there any doubt in your mind that the value hierarchy of liberals is very harmful to society?   I wish I were as stoic as you. 

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 27

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

My ancestors "assimilated" rather quickly mostly because there was no noticeable opposition to their ethnicity. But for MOST immigrant groups - German, Irish, Italian and Poles plus anyone from eastern Europe, considerable opposition.

And here are their descendants, assimilated. Doesn't that make sense.

It had much more to do with the fact some arrived with money, and once they got rid of their accent they were indistinguishable from the immigrants who came before them. The GOPer base concentrates on skin tone and wealth to determine who they hate - In Republican-think poor non-white=hate. Well to do Norwegeans=love

You want immigrants to assimilate more quickly, stop electing politicians and listening to radio and TV celebs who trash immigrants.

"Stop electing politicians" - that sounds like your dream of the future government. Plus, I know of no one trashing immigrants. Can you be more specific?

Sure: President Trump lashed out at immigrants during a White House meeting on Wednesday, warning in front of news cameras that dangerous people were clamoring to breach the country’s borders and branding such people “animals.”

• President Donald Trump on Thursday referred to what was perhaps his most notorious comment during his 2016 campaign: calling Mexicans "rapists."
  • Trump suggested that women traveling through Central America en route to the United States were "raped at levels that nobody's ever seen before."

And then there's all the GOPer posts on this site.

Those posting here often attempt to "refine" their bigotry by concentrating on POOR immigrants - the one's who can't afford to get a visa before the begin their journey - as if having no money for documents significantly alters the character of the person.

The President said no such thing about immigrants. If instead of looking for inaccurate snippets you'd follow the discussion you'd see that (once again) you left out the word "illegal".

As always it comes down to your racial slant and "money". I assume you think their problems began with the Reagan tax cuts.

A thought - if one cannot pay the visa fee, how do they pay the coyotes??

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 27

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

My ancestors "assimilated" rather quickly mostly because there was no noticeable opposition to their ethnicity. But for MOST immigrant groups - German, Irish, Italian and Poles plus anyone from eastern Europe, considerable opposition.

It had much more to do with the fact some arrived with money, and once they got rid of their accent they were indistinguishable from the immigrants who came before them. The GOPer base concentrates on skin tone and wealth to determine who they hate - In Republican-think poor non-white=hate. Well to do Norwegeans=love

You want immigrants to assimilate more quickly, stop electing politicians and listening to radio and TV celebs who trash immigrants.

"Stop electing politicians" - that sounds like your dream of the future government. Plus, I know of no one trashing immigrants. Can you be more specific?

Sure: President Trump lashed out at immigrants during a White House meeting on Wednesday, warning in front of news cameras that dangerous people were clamoring to breach the country’s borders and branding such people “animals.”

• President Donald Trump on Thursday referred to what was perhaps his most notorious comment during his 2016 campaign: calling Mexicans "rapists."
  • Trump suggested that women traveling through Central America en route to the United States were "raped at levels that nobody's ever seen before."

And then there's all the GOPer posts on this site.

Those posting here often attempt to "refine" their bigotry by concentrating on POOR immigrants - the one's who can't afford to get a visa before the begin their journey - as if having no money for documents significantly alters the character of the person.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 27

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I guess you were a fan of white people stealing Indian kids away from their families, putting them in boarding schools, and forcing them to act white.

“Kill the Indian and save the man.”

I guess I missed Brokaw saying that. Can you point me to a source?

I grow weary of giving history lessons.

He wants to artificially force assimilation.  Anyone who knows history knows people assimilate in one or two generations. His insecurity is showing.

You're not giving history lessons, you are making up your own version. For example, he never said anything about artificially forcing assimilation. 

And then there was your made up “Kill the Indian and save the man.”

History. 🙄  

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/4929/

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 27

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

WOW!!! All the hatred and negativity.

Can we at least agree that assimilation is a good thing?

So why have so many from the South not done that?

Are you referring to the Cuban community in Miami? And, once again, can we at least agree that assimilation is a good thing?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 27

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I guess you were a fan of white people stealing Indian kids away from their families, putting them in boarding schools, and forcing them to act white.

“Kill the Indian and save the man.”

I guess I missed Brokaw saying that. Can you point me to a source?

I grow weary of giving history lessons.

He wants to artificially force assimilation.  Anyone who knows history knows people assimilate in one or two generations. His insecurity is showing.

You're not giving history lessons, you are making up your own version. For example, he never said anything about artificially forcing assimilation. 

And then there was your made up “Kill the Indian and save the man.”

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 27

@Olderscout66 wrote:

My ancestors "assimilated" rather quickly mostly because there was no noticable opposition to their ethnicity. But for MOST immigrant groups - German, Irish, Italian and Poles plus anyone from eastern Europe, considerable opposition.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 27

@BigLib wrote:

It's always amusing watching people that don't live in a tipi, insisting that anyone coming to the US needs to assimilate.

What is amusing? This is the United States of America - not a collection of many, many tribes fighting with each other over land (or anything else).

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 27

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/business/media/tom-brokaw-hispanics-assimilation.html

Here is the video. Judge for yourself. Part of it his reporting what people tell him. That conservatives he’s spoken to are terrified LatinX immigrants will come here and all be democrats. And that they are worried they will have “brown” grandchildren, and made remarks about “intermarriage.”  Fine, he’s just relaying the racist thoughts of others. 

But this is his personal opinion:

“Hispanics should work harder at assimilation,” Mr. Brokaw said. “That’s one of the things I’ve been saying for a long time. They ought not to be just codified in their communities but make sure that all of their kids are learning to speak English, and that they feel comfortable in the communities, and that’s going to take outreach on both sides, frankly.”

He needs to own his ignorance here. I thought he was a self-styled historian. Again, he should know immigrants assimilate naturally over one or two generations.  I learned that in middle school.

But if people are so worried about assimilation, why aren’t they picking on the Amish and Mennonites more? Talk about being “codified in their own communities.”  They speak a form of German, and even get special laws that apply only to them.

Or the extremely insular Hasidic Jewish Community in New Square NY where almost 80% of the community lives off of welfare. And they run segregated buses. Women have to sit in the back.

Aren’t they American, too?

Kudos
Views