Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Tom Brokaw

Message 11 of 27

I can't stop laughing over the fact that someone would spend so much time writing about something they admit they don't even know what it means.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 27

I'm not sure what you mean by "My ancestors "assimilated" rather quickly mostly because there was no noticeable opposition to their ethnicity. But for MOST immigrant groups - German, Irish, Italian and Poles plus anyone from eastern Europe, considerable opposition." but my G-parents arrived on the boat at Ellis Island and G-mom refused to speak Italian whenever in the company of non-Italian speakers, ever.

In fact, we got our behinds whipped with her lilac bush switch if she ever caught us speaking Italian with someone who did not speak that language in the room.

In her mind and teaching us, that is rude, and sacrilegious in our Catholic faith. That doesn't matter obviously; just a language reference.

I still believe, and stand by that, if you live in the USA, please speak American English.

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 27

I agree in the fact I do not believe Tom Brokaw is racist.

Nothing about the accusation points to racism on his part. I, too, have heard the "brown baby" comment (although in my neighborhood that = Italian and we don't think that's offensive).

He was reporting something he heard from his contingency; isn't that his job?

Grow up, America. We cannot continue on this #dotard path or we will not recover.

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 27

@rk9152 wrote:

WOW!!! All the hatred and negativity.

Can we at least agree that assimilation is a good thing?

So why have so many from the South not done that?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 27

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I guess you were a fan of white people stealing Indian kids away from their families, putting them in boarding schools, and forcing them to act white.

“Kill the Indian and save the man.”

I guess I missed Brokaw saying that. Can you point me to a source?

I grow weary of giving history lessons.

He wants to artificially force assimilation.  Anyone who knows history knows people assimilate in one or two generations. His insecurity is showing.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 27

My ancestors "assimilated" rather quickly mostly because there was no noticable opposition to their ethnicity. But for MOST immigrant groups - German, Irish, Italian and Poles plus anyone from eastern Europe, considerable opposition.

You want immigrants to assimilate more quickly, stop electing politicians and listening to radio and TV celebs who trash immigrants.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 27

It's always amusing watching people that don't live in a tipi, insisting that anyone coming to the US needs to assimilate.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 27

WOW!!! All the hatred and negativity.

Can we at least agree that assimilation is a good thing?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 27

Maybe Tom Brokaw should opine about the fact that the side that lost the Civil War hasn't fully assimilated after 150 years? They're still flying the wrong flag and getting bent over statutes.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 27

Latinos can never assimilate enough for the Tom Brokaws of America

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/fabiola-santiago/article225195465.html

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views