Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: To be compassionate or Naive?

Message 71 of 94

Thanks to all who are participating in this discussion.  One of the points I brought was, the young men are overwhelming majority, if you watch any video. You can see some families but for ex: If you watch the refugee train, those sitting on the train exits, refusing help are young men. The families, watch their windows raised. Some children go and accept water and food, some open their windows to accept food and water.  Later on you can see the train tracks littered with water bottles etc. I ask myself if the young men, take away the food and water from the refugee families when they depart the station.  They know well that water is water if they really need supplies where is the wisdom of throwing away what they are given.  The red crescent is the equivalent to the red cross, I wonder if in order to offer help we have to change the cross for the crescent.

Other factors that I take in consideration is that refugees usually don't have much, they just take what they can carry with them.  Then refusing help?

Suddenly a mass migration? Why not accept those who are in camps who more or less are being screened, before accepting those who need to be screened.

Why do you think, Saudi Arabia, Quatar etc don't accept the "refugees".  Recall the woman who had to flee with part of her family stating, "they don't care about us" Those people who left the villages are the refugees, they, refused ISIS.  These young men, who, is encouraging them.

Trojan Horse: maybe, ISIS already stated they would be among them.  In our Parrish we help another Parrish that has taken the action of helping resettle refugees, feed them, enroll in school and learn English.  During that process we could watch who are the ones accepting and those who are obstructionalists and that could raise a flag. We have one country if we don't take care of it, then we deserve to lose it. Have to go, Dr's app, may we continue this discussion later?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 94

@Frozenoem wrote:
All I can say is 1938, 67% of Americans didn't want to accept the Jews fleeing the holocaust, and we all know how well that turned out.

And accept them, they did not. Boats were turned around, sent back to Germany and the Jews to their deaths. That was due to the rampant Anti-Semitism of the times. Lindbergh and Ford openly expressed their views regarding the Jews and many believed them.

Some of the negitivity in this situation is Islamophobia; yet, there is a set of facts that people are having real difficulty overlooking.

No segment of the Jewish religion was responsible for many, if any, deaths of people from the "west" back in 1938.

Conversely, the majority of refugees are Muslim and a segment of the Muslim religion has been responsible for the recent deaths in France, along with the following:

7/1995- France- 8 dead

9/2001- USA- 2900+ dead

11/2004- Spain- 190 dead

7/2005- England- 32 dead

3/2012- France- 6 dead

5/2014-Belguim-4 dead

12/2014- Australia- 3 dead

along with mutliple beheadings and other individual deaths.

These refugees originated their trek to the west in the area where many of the terrorist that perpetrated the above crimes came from.

So, I can see why people are fearful of having this particular group of refugees enter the country.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 94

@nctarheel wrote:

@ASTRAEA wrote:

This wave of refugees reminds me of The Trojan Horse.

I believe that the reason Israel has refused to accept any refugees is not because they are discompassionate, not because they are worried about upsetting the Jewish/non-Jewish demographic, and not because there is no physical room for them.

I believe it is because their threat assessment of this particular group of refugees has sent up a red flag.

That flag went up for the same reasons that everyone is talking about now. Others are now coming to the same conclusion except it is too late for some of these countries to "put the genie back in the bottle".

This is an threat issue that may last a long time.

It has already lasted for centuries. the only solution is for the Arab Governments to begin getting rid of their "fundie preachers" and then deprogram their deluded followers.

The Saudi's have spent a great deal of time and money on this, and it's working. They are "deradicalizing" their young people with a very deliberate program that (for now) is working. All the other countries in the Mid East need to do likewise. Remember it's not only the young Muslims who are drawn to the siren song of a "New Order" - we have a bunch of Natural Born Americans who are similarily deceived running around playing Left Behind or Sons of Liberty right here.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 94

@Olderscout66 wrote:

http://www.maicar.com/GML/WOODENHORSE.html

Two years?  As soon as the Athenians sailed away the Trojans took action to move the horse inside. That was my point - "the fall of Troy" has nothing to do with the current situation.

Have you heard about sleeper cells? Yes. Have you heard of one that worked in the USA? The thugs that attacked Paris were new arrivals. The Boston Marathon bombers were "self-radicalized", as were Timmy McVeigh, Ted Kaczyski and Nidal Hasan.

The point is that they could be sleeper cells being admitted into the country...i.e. trojan horse.   But two years inside the horse?    Suggest you look at those in the current situation, and of course some were new arrivals, which is the  point.

But whatever, I'm not going to argue.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 94

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@ASTRAEA wrote:

You remember the Atheans hiding in the horse for TWO YEARS before Troy opend the gates? Well, considering your age, such slips are to be expected (;o)

Anyone who thinks ISIS will wait for a year or two to infiltrate there terrorists into the US when there's daily flights from all over the ME is watching too much FAUX.

Two years?  As soon as the Athenians sailed away the Trojans took action to move the horse inside. That was my point - "the fall of Troy" has nothing to do with the current situation.

Have you heard about sleeper cells? Yes. Have you heard of one that worked in the USA? The thugs that attacked Paris were new arrivals. The Boston Marathon bombers were "self-radicalized", as were Timmy McVeigh, Ted Kaczyski and Nidal Hasan.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 94
On slowest connection of my life.

All I can say is 1938, 67% of Americans didn't want to accept the Jews fleeing the holocaust, and we all know how well that turned out.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 94

@afisher wrote:

C3:   consider that many of those who are being interviewed actually speak english, indicating that they are educated.   Many of the older people may not speak english and it is much easier for AJ reporters to not have to go through a translator.   Sadly the H8er's would then say that the words of the refugees are not accurate....sigh. 

How our wingers can believe the refugees pose a serious threat is beyond my comprehension. Do the RWNJs actually think ISIS will have their terrorists wait for a year of two in the hope they MIGHT get into the US when they have seized enough government offices to provide authentic passports then fly their fully documented terrorists direct to Des Moines Iowa, attend a gun show to stock up on Kalashnikovs,  rent a car and drive north to attack The Corn Palace?

But the Gutless GOPerGovs have decided the real danger is letting President Obama accomplish anything, so they claim extra-Constitutional powers to restrict movement of people across their State borders.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 94

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@ASTRAEA wrote:

You remember the Atheans hiding in the horse for TWO YEARS before Troy opend the gates? Well, considering your age, such slips are to be expected (;o)

Anyone who thinks ISIS will wait for a year or two to infiltrate there terrorists into the US when there's daily flights from all over the ME is watching too much FAUX.

Two years?  As soon as the Athenians sailed away the Trojans took action to move the horse inside.

Have you heard about sleeper cells?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 94

C3:   consider that many of those who are being interviewed actually speak english, indicating that they are educated.   Many of the older people may not speak english and it is much easier for AJ reporters to not have to go through a translator.   Sadly the H8er's would then say that the words of the refugees are not accurate....sigh. 

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 94

@ASTRAEA wrote:

By the way, assuming these terrorists will not march across our borders in full battle array, what do you propose we do to keep them from getting armed after they get through customs?

That said, we need to do MUCH more to help the refugees in the countries bordering Syria. If they had a reasonable place to stay until ISIS is destroyed, they'd be much less likely to walk for weeks in hope of finding such a place. That, and the Nations that are currently housing the refugees would also appreciate some assistance in dealing with what looks like the greatest human tragidy since WWII.

Kudos
Views