Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Time for my semi-annual rant on Daylight Savings Time

Message 1 of 8

Just a general shout out as to the costs of changing the time twice a year.  Twice very year the computer staff in corporations have to have meetings to determine how to handle the time change. They do simulations and testing to make sure everything is working properly and the time change will not impact things like experiments or processes. It is not just remembering to turn your clock forward or back. 

There are all kinds of processes which have to run for fixed periods from steel to baking and a glitch or miscalculation can cause hundreds of millions of dollars in damage. 

So, we have a process that gives us zero benefit, huge costs, and kills people.  I say get rid of it.  Move to DST and stay there. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

@Snoopy48wrote:

@mickstuderwrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@Richvawrote:

It does not save any energy. It does not make school children safer.  Those are the two arguments in favor and they have both been proved false. 

It DOES cause havoc twice a year at computer centers and for scheduling anywhere there is 24 hour staffing. Accidents increase when the change happens. God knows how many people show up late or early for work and appointments. 

Let's stop this stupid practice. 

I agree. I have heard stories from "it's done for the farmers", "it was done to save energy during WW2", "it was done for children going to school",....

What it does is cause problems for everyone from work scheduling to setting all those clocks we seem to accumulate.

Talk About March Madness

Absolutely....................lets get rid of everything that requires us to Think for ourselves for a Change or might provide a little respite from the same dull boring Monotiness of trying to Survive a Long Cold Stormy New England Winter

Lets get rid of all the Traditions that some of us are used too & sometimes look forward to as Benchmarks and Goals in time to achieve and get though to...........................

When you come right down to it - Why Do We Have Easter Egg Hunts - Rabbits Don't Lay Eggs? 

What do Bunnies Have To Do With Easter?

How about St Patrick's Day too......................Get Rid Of It...................How Many More People Are Killed in Accidents around St. Patricks Day & For No Good Reason

The Folklore St. Patrick Wasn't Even Born in Ireland - he's Scottish!

This Whole - Banish the Snakes Thing - Ireland is way too cold to support any large population of Snakes

Oh and that Leprechaun Thing - C'mon Man......................

Hey - lets Fast Forward another Month and Take a Look at eliminating that Tragic Boston Marathon Tradition....................how much Heartache has that caused and what is the Exact Purpose of that Nonsense?

So the only reason to keep DST is 'tradition'? The 'tradition' of not changing the clocks lasted a lot longer than the 'tradition' of DST.

Maybe...........................

Or Maybe I Just Don't See The Big Deal - One Way of the Other..........................when people are carping about eliminating something because they are having to re-set a Digital Clock......................I think it's a ridiculous excuse..........................

The other stuff was in response to the absurdity or attempting to justify the reasons for eliminating it

I've worked all three shifts over the years and on everyone of them DST was something we all had in common and could actually communicate about in person together without it being Political - it was a Common Friend/Enemy something to be Cheered and Dispised Once a Year Together

Silliness to make it anything other than what it is...........................where I Live it's a Harmless Tradition and it only helps us manage our time outdoors a little better

Consider This:

Americans have become indoor animals. On average, we spend about 90 percent of our time inside buildings and cars. When we venture outside, we’re often so glued to our smartphones that we’re oblivious to the natural world.

That’s probably not a good thing. Growing evidence suggests that interacting with nature makes people happier and healthier. Surgical patients go home sooner if their hospital rooms have a view outside, for example. A walk in the park can boost the concentration of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. And spending time in a forest has been shown to lower stress levels and blood pressure while boosting immune function.

Time Indoors .png

Source - https://www.buildinggreen.com/blog/we-spend-90-our-time-indoors-says-who

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8
Privately owned farms hardly exist anymore, Corporate farming has put them out of business or they can no longer support the cost of owning a farm.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

It is done for me so that I can fully utilize the light of the day to get all my outdoor stuff done.

The early bird catches the worm, ya' know.

Thank You for your participation.

There are some places that don't participate -

Wikipedia - Daylight Savings Time in the US

and a procedure for doing away with it at the state level.

Quartz Media 03/08/2018 - Florida wants to break with the US on DST

So get that  R E S I S T A N C E movement action moving.

p.s.  I have bird clock that takes me forever to reset because you have to keep all the specific bird sounds lined up just right or the Owls start giving off Whippoorwill sounds.

So I will support your efforts.  Woman Wink

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

@mickstuderwrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@Richvawrote:

It does not save any energy. It does not make school children safer.  Those are the two arguments in favor and they have both been proved false. 

It DOES cause havoc twice a year at computer centers and for scheduling anywhere there is 24 hour staffing. Accidents increase when the change happens. God knows how many people show up late or early for work and appointments. 

I agree. I have heard stories from "it's done for the farmers", "it was done to save energy during WW2", "it was done for children going to school",....

What it does is cause problems for everyone from work scheduling to setting all those clocks we seem to accumulate.

Talk About March Madness

Absolutely....................lets get rid of everything that requires us to Think for ourselves for a Change or might provide a little respite from the same dull boring Monotiness of trying to Survive a Long Cold Stormy New England Winter

Lets get rid of all the Traditions that some of us are used too & sometimes look forward to as Benchmarks and Goals in time to achieve and get though to...........................

When you come right down to it - Why Do We Have Easter Egg Hunts - Rabbits Don't Lay Eggs? 

How about St Patrick's Day too......................Get Rid Of It...................How Many More People Are Killed in Accidents around St. Patricks Day & For No Good Reason

This Whole - Banish the Snakes Thing - Ireland is way too cold to support any large population of Snakes

Hey - lets Fast Forward another Month and Take a Look at eliminating that Tragic Boston Marathon Tradition....................how much Heartache has that caused and what is the Exact Purpose of that Nonsense?

So the only reason to keep DST is 'tradition'? The 'tradition' of not changing the clocks lasted a lot longer than the 'tradition' of DST.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@Richvawrote:

Talk About March Madness

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

@Richvawrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Time for my semi-annual rant on Daylight Savings Time

Message 8 of 8

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors