Kudos
Views

Re: Time For Puerto Rico to be 51st State

Message 1 of 13

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Puerto Rican's do pay taxes but NOT U.S. Federal Income taxes.  They also cannot vote currently.  They have also run into financial problems having $72 billion dollar debt equal to 68% of their GDP and are close to bankruptcy.

I am not sure I understand. Are you saying this will be a win for the U.S. as it will add to the tax rolls?  The mismanagement part is obvious and has been dealt with by the commission overseeing the pseudo bankruptcy. 

I wouldn't want you being my financial advisor.  If they are bankrupt now, do you want to assume their debt?  Puerto Rico has a 12.6% unemployment rate and poverty at 41%.  Is that your idea of a good investment or a lead weight to bring down our economy some more?

In simple terms, it is a win for Puerto Rico and a loss for the U.S.

I was simply trying to clarify yoru position. You were complaining that the Puerto Ricans were not paying Federal Income taxes so I assumed you wanted them to have skin in the game. 

The federal government would not be allowed to assume their debt but the whole mess is a good reason for not changing their status.  Give them a couple of years and then make them a state if it makes sense for the rest of the U.S. and cut them loose if it does not. 

I wasn't "complaining" that Puerto Ricans are not paying taxes at all.  In fact FYI, they do pay income taxes to Puerto Rico equivalent to our federal income tax! In addition they do not have the "privilege" of voting in the Presidential election.  I merely pointed out that until they get their house in order, I wouldn't recommend that the U.S. add them as a state and I believe RKER is correct that many there also do NOT want to be a state and want to retain their independence.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

@Roxanna35 wrote:

Perhaps the governor of that Island wants to share the bankrupcy responsibility with the US. and that is why he is requisting that it becomes a State.
But, I don't think that the Puerto Ricans really want to become a State, at all. I have heard many times that they would like their independence. so who knows.

I still think it is horrible timing. It would be like the forced marriage where the bride is going though a nasty bankruptcy and the groom is not competent enough to tie his shoes.  Wait till they clean up their government (not just the bankruptcy) and Pence has assumed the presidency after Trump's impeachment. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

Perhaps the governor of that Island wants to share the bankrupcy responsibility with the US. and that is why he is requisting that it becomes a State.
But, I don't think that the Puerto Ricans really want to become a State, at all. I have heard many times that they would like their independence. so who knows.

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Puerto Rican's do pay taxes but NOT U.S. Federal Income taxes.  They also cannot vote currently.  They have also run into financial problems having $72 billion dollar debt equal to 68% of their GDP and are close to bankruptcy.

I am not sure I understand. Are you saying this will be a win for the U.S. as it will add to the tax rolls?  The mismanagement part is obvious and has been dealt with by the commission overseeing the pseudo bankruptcy. 

I wouldn't want you being my financial advisor.  If they are bankrupt now, do you want to assume their debt?  Puerto Rico has a 12.6% unemployment rate and poverty at 41%.  Is that your idea of a good investment or a lead weight to bring down our economy some more?

I was simply trying to clarify yoru position. You were complaining that the Puerto Ricans were not paying Federal Income taxes so I assumed you wanted them to have skin in the game. 

The federal government would not be allowed to assume their debt but the whole mess is a good reason for not changing their status.  Give them a couple of years and then make them a state if it makes sense for the rest of the U.S. and cut them loose if it does not. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

97% of Puerto Ricans voted in favor of US Statehood in a recent Referendum.............

The USA granted Puerto Rican Citizens - US Citizenship - 100 years ago 

It's about time they got to be considered a US State and it would certainly make more sense to be spending US Tax Payers money on a Real US State instead of some US Territory................

Are we ready to accept Puerto Rico as another State?  Has anyone knows how the population of the US feels about that?
This is not just a matter of what the Puerto Rican people want or need, is a matter of what we want also. So, are there any studies that the American people would welcome this change?

STUDIES?

How about some facts 

1. Puerto Ricans pay US Taxes just like any other American - Social Security - Medicare - Payroll - In 2009 Puerto Ricans paid 4 Billion into the US Treasury 

2. In contrast going the other way the US Government puts caps on how much can be spent on Puerto Ricans - For Example - the Annual Spending Cap on Medicaid Spending for Puerto Ricans is 230 Million 

Source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Puerto_Rico

Oh - OK - so if mismanaging your budget is more then a Good Enough Reason to prevent a US Territory from becoming a State - then you probalby think we should cut loose these existing States for being equally in debt and poorly managed....................

BTW - all these states get Millions in Federal Welfare 

1. Connecticut:

• $20.88 billion in total debt.
  • $102.84 billion in unfunded liabilities and other retirement benefits.
  • $505 in deficit per capita.

2. Massachusetts:

• $26.73 billion in total debt.
  • $190.83 billion in in unfunded liabilities and other retirement benefits.
  • $342 in deficit per capita.

3. New Jersey:

• $41.84 billion in total debt.
  • $255.2 billion in unfunded pension liabilities and other retirement benefits.
  • $396 in deficit per capita.

4. Illinois:

• $35.5 billion in total debt.
  • $332.54 billion in unfunded pension liabilities and other retirement benefits.
  • $40 in deficit per capita.

5. Kentucky:

• $8.23 billion in total debt.
  • $82.68 billion in unfunded liabilities and other retirement benefits.
  • $100 in deficit per capita.

6. Hawaii:

• $7.78 billion in total debt.
  • $39.92 billion in unfunded liabilities and other retirement benefits.
  • $83 in deficit per capita.

7. California:

• $118.7 billion in total debt.
  • $785.72 billion in unfunded liabilities and other retirement benefits.
  • $250 in surplus per capita.

8. Maine:

• $1.2 billion in total debt.
  • $15.2 billion in unfunded liabilities and other retirement benefits.
  • $20 in deficit per capita.

9. New York:

• $58.32 billion in total debt.
  • $349.81 billion in unfunded liabilities and other retirement benefits.
  • $125 in surplus per capita.

Source - http://www.dailywire.com/news/7619/9-most-bankrupt-states-america-yours-list-aaron-bandler

Whoa and Lookee Here - Lots ah Red Eh?

welfare states.png

Source -  https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

@mickstuder wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

97% of Puerto Ricans voted in favor of US Statehood in a recent Referendum.............

It's about time they got to be considered a US State and it would certainly make more sense to be spending US Tax Payers money on a Real US State instead of some US Territory................

Are we ready to accept Puerto Rico as another State?  Has anyone knows how the population of the US feels about that?
This is not just a matter of what the Puerto Rican people want or need, is a matter of what we want also. So, are there any studies that the American people would welcome this change?

STUDIES?

How about some facts 

1. Puerto Ricans pay US Taxes just like any other American - Social Security - Medicare - Payroll - In 2009 Puerto Ricans paid 4 Billion into the US Treasury 

2. In contrast going the other way the US Government puts caps on how much can be spent on Puerto Ricans - For Example - the Annual Spending Cap on Medicaid Spending for Puerto Ricans is 230 Million 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

@pc6063 wrote:

Mick,

There has been much coverage of this in the news of late.  I would agree that there is now reason that Puerto Rico should not be named as the 51st state.  These are American citizens, who deserve a vote, just like the millions of other American citizens living in this country.

You said that now there is a reason as to why Puerto Rico should not be the 51st State?  Ok,  why not?

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

STUDIES?

How about some facts 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors