Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Thoughts on the Steele Dossier

Message 11 of 26

Former British spy Christopher Steele was informed months after accepting the job to compile a dossier on then-candidate Donald J. Trump that the Hillary Clinton Campaign and the Democratic National Committee were paying the bills but that’s not what the FBI told the secret FISA court when it sought a warrant to spy on one of Trump’s campaign volunteers.

This bit of explosive information was revealed in an expose on Steele by The New Yorker’s Jane Mayer but the implications for the FBI are profound. Why? Because the bureau explicitly stated in its Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Application to the secret court that Steele was unaware of who backed Fusion GPS, the firm which hired him, for the research.

Steele, however, claimed in the expose titled Christopher Steele, The Man Behind the Trump Dossier that he did know who was paying his bill.

VIMTSTL
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 26

@Richvawrote:

@oceanedge2wrote:

How the ex-spy tried to warn the world about Trump’s ties to Russia.

The man has enough credentials to make himself believable. Trump has no credentials, can barely read, and appears to be a complete self indulgent moron. 

NeoRepublicans get their news from Fox Entertainment, Breightbart, Infowars and the National Enquirer, just like the infantile POTUS they elected. When the NSA, CIA and FBI tell us things NRAGOPers dislike, they rant how the entire Government is corrupt because they are determined to destroy our Government's ability to protect the 99% from predition by the top of the 1%.

Virtually everything in the Steele dossier has been proven to be TRUE, especially the extensive cooperation between the Trump Team and the KGB in rigging the election to put Der Trumper in the WhiteHouse and GOPer in charge of House and Senate.

This is the most corrupt administration EVER - nineteen top officials leaving or fired with many being indicted and three already copping pleas to FELONY crimes so they can receive a lesser sentence in exchange for cooperating with the Mueller investigation.

Trumpettes ignore the mountain of Trump corruption PROVEN in the last few months and insist Hillary and Obama are the corrupt ones, despite YEARS of investigation that turned up NOTHING and eight years without a single indictment of an Obama official. THAT is a huge maount of totally irrational hatred, but hate is what makes the NRAGOP run, that, and a manic desire to continue to slaughter children as proof of their total obedience to the Gun Gods.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 26

@Panjandromwrote:

rk9152: I'll accept your statement that FISA warrants are issued all the time  based on information from very sketchy individuals. I would point out that the issue isn't the sketchiness of the source alone it is also the lack of substantiation of the data.

The FBI doesn't judge the intelligence they receive based on the "sketchiness" of the source. How it works is that they gather intel and then corroborate it regardless of the source. If they get info that turns out to be worthless, they discard it, but if it's true, they use it. Then they take what is true to a FISA judge. See how it works?

Is it not understanding or blatant denial?  Facts seem to have no impact whatsoever.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 26

rk9152: I'll accept your statement that FISA warrants are issued all the time  based on information from very sketchy individuals. I would point out that the issue isn't the sketchiness of the source alone it is also the lack of substantiation of the data.

The FBI doesn't judge the intelligence they receive based on the "sketchiness" of the source. How it works is that they gather intel and then corroborate it regardless of the source. If they get info that turns out to be worthless, they discard it, but if it's true, they use it. Then they take what is true to a FISA judge. See how it works?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 26

@rk9152wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

@Richvawrote:

The Republicans make the claim that because the Hillary campaign took over funding from a “Never Trump” Republican it is somehow tainted and should not have been used to get a FISA warrant.  Of course, FISA warrants are issued all the time  based on information from very sketchy individuals and this information was coming from an ex-Cambridge Union president, ex-M.I.6 Moscow field agent, ex-head of M.I.6’s Russia desk, ex-adviser to British Special Forces on capture-or-kill ops in Afghanistan, and a 52-year-old father with four children(!).  Follow on with the fact that a FISA warrant has to be renewed every 6 weeks on the basis of actual intelligence gathered. That means the FBI was getting actionable intelligence from their wire taps.  

Gee, sorry to rain on your parade Trump fans. 

But of course none of this will mean anything to trump fans. Facts mean nothing to them.

"Yeah, me too"

Can't deny or disprove anything in the posting so you resort to "Yeah, me too"?

Do you realize that a large portion of your own postings seem to be "Yeah, me too"s to all of the fake/false news put out on social media by the Russians and repeated by others?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 26

@rk9152wrote:

@Richvawrote:

The Republicans make the claim that because the Hillary campaign took over funding from a “Never Trump” Republican it is somehow tainted and should not have been used to get a FISA warrant.  Of course, FISA warrants are issued all the time  based on information from very sketchy individuals and this information was coming from an ex-Cambridge Union president, ex-M.I.6 Moscow field agent, ex-head of M.I.6’s Russia desk, ex-adviser to British Special Forces on capture-or-kill ops in Afghanistan, and a 52-year-old father with four children(!).  Follow on with the fact that a FISA warrant has to be renewed every 6 weeks on the basis of actual intelligence gathered. That means the FBI was getting actionable intelligence from their wire taps.  

While I cannot claim your vast knowledge of the workings of the FISA Courts, I'll accept your statement that FISA warrants are issued all the time  based on information from very sketchy individuals. I would point out that the issue isn't the sketchiness of the source alone it is also the lack of substantiation of the data.

As I understand it (you can corroborate or deny) the basis of a FISA warrant is the material itself and the assumption that the requesting Agency has verified it. I do not believe that the Steele dossier meets that standard.

You seem to have ignored so much about FISA warrant procedures, in this instance the fact that they are renewed every six weeks based on actual intelligence gathered.  Those issuing the FISA Warrants and reviewing them every six weeks are sure of their validity and that makes your  "I do not believe that the Steele dossier meets that standard" completely irrelevant and insignificant.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 26

@ChasKy53wrote:

@Richvawrote:

But of course none of this will mean anything to trump fans. Facts mean nothing to them.

"Yeah, me too"

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 26

@Richvawrote:

While I cannot claim your vast knowledge of the workings of the FISA Courts, I'll accept your statement that FISA warrants are issued all the time  based on information from very sketchy individuals. I would point out that the issue isn't the sketchiness of the source alone it is also the lack of substantiation of the data.

As I understand it (you can corroborate or deny) the basis of a FISA warrant is the material itself and the assumption that the requesting Agency has verified it. I do not believe that the Steele dossier meets that standard.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 26

@MIsekerwrote:

@oceanedge2wrote:

Republicans have no means to attack Mueller directly so they try pathetic back door sneak, slander, propoganda attacks on this single target.  But Steele, like Mueller, is one of the best people.  The article connects the dots for every thought you've had about Steele and his work.  It is long and it is comprehensive.  The man may be a Saint.

That article is excellent. Not one person from the right here will read it.

They may read it, but if they do and admit it, they will try and deny everything in it.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 26

@oceanedge2wrote:

Republicans have no means to attack Mueller directly so they try pathetic back door sneak, slander, propoganda attacks on this single target.  But Steele, like Mueller, is one of the best people.  The article connects the dots for every thought you've had about Steele and his work.  It is long and it is comprehensive.  The man may be a Saint.

That article is excellent. Not one person from the right here will read it.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors