Honored Social Butterfly

This is What Accountability Looks Like

Louisville police is firing officer Brett Hankison involved in Breonna Taylor shooting

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Mayor Greg Fischer announced Friday that Louisville Metro Police is initiating termination of officer Brett Hankison, one of three officers to fire weapons at Breonna Taylor's apartment, killing her.

Taylor, 26, was shot by officers at her apartment on March 13 as they entered to serve a no-knock warrant. Her boyfriend thought officers were intruders and fired a shot as they entered. Taylor was shot eight times in the ensuing gunfire from officers.

Hankison is accused by the department's interim chief, Robert Schroeder, of "blindly" firing 10 rounds into Taylor's apartment, creating a substantial danger of death and serious injury.  (is it any wonder why many fear cops?)

"I find your conduct a shock to the conscience," Schroeder wrote in a Friday letter to Hankison laying out the charges against him. "I am alarmed and stunned you used deadly force in this fashion."

The result of your action seriously impedes the Department's goal of providing the citizens of our city with the most professional law enforcement agency possible. I cannot tolerate this type of conduct by any member of the Louisville Metro Police Department," he added. "Your conduct demands your termination." 

The other two officers who fired their weapons at Taylor's apartment — Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly and Officer Myles Cosgrove — have been placed on administrative reassignment. 

Fischer, in a Friday news conference announcing the move, declined further comment.

"Unfortunately, due to a provision in state law that I would very much like to see changed, both the chief and I are precluded from talking about what brought us to this moment or even the timing of this decision," Fischer said.

Hankison in recent weeks also has been accused of sexual assault by multiple women in viral social media posts. The allegations are similar, saying that he offered intoxicated women a ride home from bars before sexually assaulting them.

A spokeswoman for LMPD said last week that the department was "looking into the allegations." 

Sam Aguiar, a Louisville-based attorney for Taylor's family, said Friday about Hankison's firing: "It's about **bleep** time." 

For months, protesters have been calling for the three officers to be fired and charged in Taylor's death. The protests intensified last month after death of George Floyd, a handcuffed Black man who died after a white officer pinned his neck to the ground with his knee in Minneapolis.

Last week, Louisville banned no-knock search warrants with an ordinance called Breonna's Law. No-knock warrants do not mean that police don't announce their presence, but rather that they identify themselves as police only after gaining entrance.

Police were attempting to serve a search warrant with a no-knock clause at Taylor's apartment as a part of a narcotics investigation when they entered her home, were met by gunfire and killed Taylor while returning fire.

Though officials say the officers knocked and announced their presence, Taylor's boyfriend said he didn't hear anyone say they were police and fired at what he thought were intruders. Neighbors identified by attorneys for Taylor's family also said they did not hear police announce their presence.

Taylor died in the ensuing gunfire, hit at least eight times. No drugs were recovered from her apartment.

Louisville police is firing officer Brett Hankison involved in Breonna Taylor shooting 

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Regular Social Butterfly

I get that these Police have very dangerous jobs, my husband wanted to be one after 4 yrs in the Marines. I was totally against it I had enough esp.with the Viet Nam War, thankfully he changed his mind.  

But somehow someway the bad Police have to be weeded out for this to go thru and then have the Descend hard-working Police who aren't afraid to be able now to do their jobs.  It is some times a thanks less job because they do have to get a little rough,( NOT DEATH) but there is a time and a place for that. There are drunks and people on drugs who don't always go easy, but they/no one also should not fear the Police.  

IMO 

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Honored Social Butterfly

@angeleyes64 wrote:

I get that these Police have very dangerous jobs, my husband wanted to be one after 4 yrs in the Marines. I was totally against it I had enough esp.with the Viet Nam War, thankfully he changed his mind.  

But somehow someway the bad Police have to be weeded out for this to go thru and then have the Descend hard-working Police who aren't afraid to be able now to do their jobs.  It is some times a thanks less job because they do have to get a little rough,( NOT DEATH) but there is a time and a place for that. There are drunks and people on drugs who don't always go easy, but they/no one also should not fear the Police.  

IMO 

How can anyone be considered a "GOOD Cop" if they aren't help weeding out the bad cops" who put the good cops lives and therefore families in jeapordy everyday.  It's surprising we don't hear of more loonies walking up to a squad car and shooting the cops inside, like in NY and Des Moines....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

With all that is going on concerning police departments, my hope is that they will take this time to rethink and revise policies...such as trying coverup reporting on actions taken, especially on overt screwups such as happened with the Taylor shooting. 
We should respect our Police departments...but when they try to hide facts or lie to citizens, how does this command respect?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png