There's always more to discover with your AARP membership. Explore your member benefits today!

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: This White Bigot Sentenced to Jail

Message 1 of 8

It's a good thing.

The medication problem is an insufficient excuse to allow him to be on the loose and be a threat to society.

He belongs behind bars.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

I'd say he is, he went to great lengths to attack them.

It amazes me how many excuses the person has when he/she is in Court and before a Judge. I did this, or that, I take this med or that, I was hi on this or that.
So what your an adult, you made a decision to do the crime, now DO THE TIME.

You can dislike a person for their color or race, just plain don't like a person, but he showed down right hatred, definitely racist. IMO

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8
@GailL1wrote:

You asked:  

What in the world is wrong with these people?

I don't know, I am assuming by "these people" you are referring to racist.  Do you believe that was a racist act, Gail?

I went back through various news media accounts to see what his defense might have been at the trial since he didn't just plead guilty or what he said during trial, and this is all I could find out -  I am not justifying his behavior towards the family, I was just curious; the incident happened in 2016.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/Tampa-man-gets-8-months-in-prison-for-souring-home-sale...

Terminal illness - AIDS - steroid effect on the brain - close relationship to a 911 victim -  He is going to an incarceration facility that has sick inmates.

Scott Boardman, Howard’s attorney, cited the defendant’s health issues in his argument for probation over incarceration.

"I have a terminal illness," Howard asserted. "I’m dying of AIDS."

He has lost 35 pounds in the last year, Howard said, and was taking testosterone supplements to combat the weight loss. It was the steroids, he said, that caused his outburst.

"We’re not talking about something that happened to you, we’re talking about your behavior," the judge said.

The judge reminded Howard about his sworn testimony in a related civil suit. He had said he would have gotten a "ticker tape parade" in New York for his comments to the Muslim couple.

Was he blaming medication, the judge asked, when he told a lawyer in the civil suit that most people would prefer to have a "regular American family" join the neighborhood?

Yes, Howard responded.

He acted wrongly toward the Asgars, he said, but was no racist.

"I’m a good person. This incident just happened, and I wish I could undo it," he said.

Herbert Donica, who owned the home the Asgars were attempting to buy, said he "could never have estimated the emotional impact" of the incident. When he gets home, he checks the street for Howard. The Donicas have installed a new security system and bought pepper spray. Howard going to prison would give the neighborhood relief.

"We would like some breathing space," Donica told the judge.

A civil case that arose from the incident is still pending in Hillsborough Circuit Court.

In his deposition for that case, Howard said that he lost a family member in 9/11 and "wasn’t crazy about Muslims."

Howard is on house arrest until the Bureau of Prisons takes him into custody. The judge asked that he be sent to a federal prison in Butner, N.C., that treats inmates with serious medical conditions.

Do any of those things, if substantiated, make any difference in what he did - probably not, but they probably could be a factor in determining IF this incident was in or out of character for him.

I was was somewhat surprised that the judge said, We’re not talking about something that happened to you, we’re talking about your behavior," .  We all know that external forces do affect a person - mind and body.

I don't think a person who is a racist would have just one incident that somebody would noticed - Aren't you assuming there was only one incident?  Most incidents don't raise to the level this one did.  He may have said hateful, "racists" things for years.....wouldn't there be things done or said over a span of time that would indicate that they were this way?  Sure.  But we don't know, do we?

IOW, not sure what you mean by IOW.....is racism, in your opinion, in today's society, something that can be controlled sometimes, hidden from others around you and then boom, something happens that sets them and it off?  Yes, I do.  I think there are many closet racist who just keep their mouth shut, because, "it's not nice", "or it's not political correct".....but some of their "friends" know the truth and they are as well.  Many don't go around admitting their beliefs....before my father passed he asked if I thought he was a racists.....I said "sure", and several of his golf buddies were.  He was surprised.  I said do you want to go ask them....so we went to the Moose Lodge in Murrels Inlet in SC.  Six of his buddies were there after an afternoon round and so he asked them; are any of you racists?  Three of them admitted they were and one more admitted he was after the other 3 admitted such.....they weren't bashful and they all had their reasons.....one was a retired Fire Chief in DC and went on to explain about the blacks who filed Workers Comp claims......another was a Sr. Director at Ma Bell and went on to explain about the lazy black he had working on the job.....they all had their reasons as I said.

After everyone shared their stories I asked the Fire Chief if he had any whites that filed Worker Comp claims and he replied, "Oh yeah.....there were these three guys that....." and I asked the Sr, Manager if he had any whites that were lazy and he complained about a couple of Irish guys and these Italians, and......

But he saw the problems were because the others were black, not because they were "people".

I just smiled at my dad, winked to him and said, "Can I buy you a Bourbon and ginger?"  May he R.I.P.

A question for you, Gail.  There was a similar issue to this topic in Florida about a month ago.

Armed man in Florida restaurant yelled "get out of my country," police say

He's been arrested and is being investigated for a hate crime.  Would you call this a racial incident?  Thanks for your input....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

@Centristsin2010

You asked:  

What in the world is wrong with these people?

I don't know, I am assuming by "these people" you are referring to racist.  

I went back through various news media accounts to see what his defense might have been at the trial since he didn't just plead guilty or what he said during trial, and this is all I could find out -  I am not justifying his behavior towards the family, I was just curious; the incident happened in 2016.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/Tampa-man-gets-8-months-in-prison-for-souring-home-sale...

Terminal illness - AIDS - steroid effect on the brain - close relationship to a 911 victim -  He is going to an incarceration facility that has sick inmates.

Scott Boardman, Howard’s attorney, cited the defendant’s health issues in his argument for probation over incarceration.

"I have a terminal illness," Howard asserted. "I’m dying of AIDS."

He has lost 35 pounds in the last year, Howard said, and was taking testosterone supplements to combat the weight loss. It was the steroids, he said, that caused his outburst.

"We’re not talking about something that happened to you, we’re talking about your behavior," the judge said.

The judge reminded Howard about his sworn testimony in a related civil suit. He had said he would have gotten a "ticker tape parade" in New York for his comments to the Muslim couple.

Was he blaming medication, the judge asked, when he told a lawyer in the civil suit that most people would prefer to have a "regular American family" join the neighborhood?

Yes, Howard responded.

He acted wrongly toward the Asgars, he said, but was no racist.

"I’m a good person. This incident just happened, and I wish I could undo it," he said.

Herbert Donica, who owned the home the Asgars were attempting to buy, said he "could never have estimated the emotional impact" of the incident. When he gets home, he checks the street for Howard. The Donicas have installed a new security system and bought pepper spray. Howard going to prison would give the neighborhood relief.

"We would like some breathing space," Donica told the judge.

A civil case that arose from the incident is still pending in Hillsborough Circuit Court.

In his deposition for that case, Howard said that he lost a family member in 9/11 and "wasn’t crazy about Muslims."

Howard is on house arrest until the Bureau of Prisons takes him into custody. The judge asked that he be sent to a federal prison in Butner, N.C., that treats inmates with serious medical conditions.

Do any of those things, if substantiated, make any difference in what he did - probably not, but they probably could be a factor in determining IF this incident was in or out of character for him.  

I was was somewhat surprised that the judge said, We’re not talking about something that happened to you, we’re talking about your behavior," .  We all know that external forces do affect a person - mind and body.

I don't think a person who is a racist would have just one incident that somebody would noticed - wouldn't there be things done or said over a span of time that would indicate that they were this way?

IOW, is racism, in your opinion, in today's society, something that can be controlled sometimes, hidden from others around you and then boom, something happens that sets them and it off?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

He threatened a Muslim family that planned to move to his neighborhood. Now, he’ll go to prison.

It's sad the bigotry and hatred some have to overcome in face of some white privileged Americans. What in the world is wrong with these people?

I'd say they have no idea what 'categorical' means and less of what a 'categorical imperative' is.  One could also legitimately say this was a 'categorical contact'.  Although the sentencing may have met legal guidlines, in no way did it effectively deal with the trangressor.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

@Snoopy48 wrote:

I hope now that if the sellers cannot sell the house for what the Asgars offered that Howard is required to make up the difference as well as additional costs that the sellers incure due to having to sell the house twice.

There is still a civil case pending in Hillsbrough Circuit Court - didn't look up the detail.  Howard did / does have to pay back the $ 30 K that the Asgars lost as their DP when they cancelled the deal because of his actions.

Knowing the area - I don't think there will be any problem selling the house to somebody else - but I don't understand what you mean by additional costs the seller incurred due to selling the house twice - except that time is money.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

I hope now that if the sellers cannot sell the house for what the Asgars offered that Howard is required to make up the difference as well as additional costs that the sellers incure due to having to sell the house twice.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

This White Bigot Sentenced to Jail

Message 8 of 8

He threatened a Muslim family that planned to move to his neighborhood. Now, he’ll go to prison.

Kaderbhai Ali Asgar left India to find a place where he would be able grow as a chemical engineer, landing in a country he believed was “the land of the free.”

His dreams mostly held true as he and his family made their lives in Tampa, until November 2016, when they were on the verge of moving to Davis Islands, an upscale island neighborhood near the city’s downtown.

Asgar and his wife had entered into contract for a house in the area and had scheduled a final walkthrough of the property with the two sellers, Asgar’s wife’s parents, two realtors, movers and a cleaning person. Asgar, who is Muslim, was wearing a topi, a woven cap with religious meaning, and his wife and mother-in-law wore headscarves.

But after they arrived at the house, a neighbor, who law enforcement officials later identified as David H. Howard, walked toward the home, yelling at the seller and Asgar’s family.

“This sale will not take place!” Howard yelled, according to court documents filed by federal prosecutors. “I will break all of your f—ing windows and I will burn your f—ing house down!”

He then said, “You are not welcome here!” and later asked a mover if he was “moving the dotheads in” and made insulting remarks about Muslims to neighbors, court documents said. The family canceled the purchase of the home as they no longer felt safe.

“This was such a shocking incident in our life that none of us can contemplate how we’ve gone through it,” Asgar told The Post. “It’s so much emotional, mental, psychological distress.”

The case has come to some closure for Asgar and his family; Howard was sentenced to eight months in prison on Tuesday after pleading guilty to a criminal violation of the federal Fair Housing Act, civil rights laws dating to the 1960s that outlaws, among other things, threatening or interfering with another person’s housing rights because of their race or religion.

Howard has also been ordered to pay $30,000 of restitution to Asgar, for the deposit that Asgar and his family lost when they canceled the closing on the home.

Asgar said the sentencing brought some measure of relief to him and his family.

It's sad the bigotry and hatred some have to overcome in face of some white privileged Americans. What in the world is wrong with these people?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Replies