Honored Social Butterfly

Thhe Catholic Church says.

Bishop Allman of La Cross Wi, has stated that if youa are a Democrat you cnnot be a Catholic. 
I guess that I am safe, I am a REpublican. LOL LOL LOL
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/la-crosse-bishop-to-correct-catholics-cant-be-democrats-prie...

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Judging by the posts I receive from my Republican Facebook Friends, the message they send is clear: "Jesus - Trump - American flag". Also, like the Catholic Church, the seem to be strongly against abortion. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Bishop Allman of La Cross Wi, has stated that if youa are a Democrat you cannot be a Catholic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And according to Kamala Harris, if you're a member of the Knights of Columbus, you shouldn't be a Federal Judge.

kamala kavanaugh hearing.jpg

Kamala Harris’s Assault on the Knights of Columbus

On December 5, Harris posed a series of written questions to Brian Buescher, President Trump’s nominee for district court in Nebraska. The third question reads as follows:

Kamala Harris: "Since 1993, you have been a member of the Knights of Columbus, an all-male society comprised primarily of Catholic men. In 2016, Carl Anderson, leader of the Knights of Columbus, described abortion as 'a legal regime that has resulted in more than 40 million deaths.' Mr. Anderson went on to say that 'abortion is the killing of the innocent on a massive scale.' Were you aware that the Knights of Columbus opposed a woman’s right to choose when you joined the organization?"

Harris wasn’t finished.

Follow-ups included “Were you aware that the Knights of Columbus opposed marriage equality when you joined the organization?” and “Have you ever, in any way, assisted with or contributed to advocacy against women’s reproductive rights?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tulsi Gabbard (Rep. Hawaii): "While I oppose the nomination of Brian Buescher to the U.S. District Court in Nebraska, I stand strongly against those who are fomenting religious bigotry, citing as disqualifiers Buescher’s Catholicism and his affiliation with the Knights of Columbus.

If Buescher is 'unqualified' because of his Catholicism and affiliation with the Knights of Columbus, then President John F. Kennedy, and the 'liberal lion of the Senate' Ted Kennedy would have been 'unqualified' for the same reasons."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tulsi Gabbard: "For too long in our country, politicians have weaponized religion for their own selfish gain, fomenting bigotry, fears and suspicions based on the faith, religion or spiritual practices of their political opponents.

Whether we think of ourselves as Christians, Hindus, Muslims, Sikh, Buddhists, Jews, atheists, agnostics, or anything else, it is imperative that we stand united in our commitment to protect
religious freedom and the right to worship or not worship, safely and without the fear of retribution."

"While deployed in the Middle East, I saw first-hand the suffering and violence that is inherent to religious bigotry. In Iraq in 2005, I saw candidates for political office labelled according to their sectarian religion, with supporters of “Shia candidates” threatening attacks to the polling centers where supporters of “Sunni candidates” were casting their votes, and vice versa. These insane sectarian divides and prejudices gave rise to ISIS and other terrorist organizations and are the cause of immense human suffering and wars in the Middle East."

Full Article...

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/religious-rights/424362-elected-leaders-who-weaponize-religi...

tulsi speaks house.jpg

Regular Contributor

@gordyfl  thanks for posting - I did NOT know we were so badly entrenched that the KofC is now beyond the pale. For being made a federal judge that is. It sounds very much like religious bigotry - except it's carefully aimed at the Knights of Columbus not the Roman Catholic Church. One is protected from bias on the part of public officials, the other is not. The history of the organization is, that it was formed to protect immigrants from religious discrimination by their protestant employers. Who required them to work during the times mass was celebrated, and much worse as well. By banding together the Catholic immigrants found they could better survive the religious bigotry of the day. Well it seems to be coming back in a different form, a very severe form that precludes certain viewpoints that are faith based, in people seeking to hold public office. YIKES. 

Okay debate isn't my purpose, I'm with Buffalo Springfield in the famous song lyric about protesters who 'mostly say hooray for my side'. 1966, 'For What it's Worth' written by Steven Stills. MOSTLY though, I'm finding it helpful to the extent we're using real information and being respectful of each other. That's pretty cool and beats other social media debates I've seen. By quite a bit. As a newbie it's nice - but I've said my piece, except that most debate isn't going to be fruitful. Instead it's like the poor guy in Monty Python who's looking for an argument:

Online political debate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAvcGcEc0k

Grampa wjswitzer
Enough is as good as a feast - Mary Poppins
Regular Social Butterfly

OMG, Biden is Catholic.
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Honored Social Butterfly

Kennedy was Catholic also.  The world didn't end.  I'm not Catholic.

Regular Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 Kennedy was Catholic also. The world didn't end. I'm not Catholic.

Kennedy IMO was a good President as well as Catholic. I am also not Catholic.

Religion does not always make the man a good or bad President.
Trump IMO was/is the worst President ever, what is his religion?
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Honored Social Butterfly

@angeleyes64 wrote:

Kennedy IMO was a good President as well as Catholic. I am also not Catholic.

Religion does not always make the man a good or bad President.

Wonder where JFK would have stood on the likes of Roe vs Wade?  His Presidency period was during a time of dirty coat hangers and amateur back alley abortionist.  I don't remember it being an issue back then - maybe it was and I just wasn't paying attention until later on - too many other things had my attention and my clarity.

You are right that "religion does not always make the man a good or bad President" but it does or should influence them if that religion is important to them. 

Regular Contributor

@GailL1  - Those are interesting thoughts, and I know you're smart enough to view it in context - in his day and at his time. Seems likely in 2020 he'd be where Joe Biden is, seems likely in 1961 when JFK took office he was opposed to abortion - but it was so much a given in 1960 -61 that we may not have any official position from JFK or the Democratic party.

I am opposed to abortion because I believe the fetus is a living human. I know reasonable people differ on that. I feel so strongly I've protested outside abortion clinics - PEACEFULLY and RESPECTFUL of the law and Bishop Loverde, Diocese of Arlington. Bishop Loverde has been arrested for anti-abortion protests, however he insisted we follow guidelines including NOT using images of aborted fetuses, a 'popular' type of sign of the extreme Catholic types. These groups were mostly intelligent and mostly not really interested in stopping abortion (though they were interested in stopping abortion) as much as they were after publicity and relished being marginalized and alienating others. Of course one of them showed up (there were 50 compliant with the Bishop and one NOT compliant). He was not a regular, came specifically to be disrespectful of others, to alienate, and to thumb his nose at the Bishop. When I naively asked how he could carry the sign and reconcile with disobeying a bishop (thought I really had him - boy was I a dope). He simply said quote 'That's not MY Bishop' thereby placing himself in the category the extreme right Roman Catholics like to criticize - what they termed 'cafeteria catholics'. He demonstrated the truth I discovered is a constant among extremists - anything goes as long as I oppose abortion. It's a free pass to abuse of others, verbal and physical aggression, anything at all as you know - horrible and a system of logic that horribly facilitates criminal behavior. During that period I learned - very slowly - that it isn't important to me what another person believes (whether their beliefs are aligned with mine). It's very important to me how another person behaves. And how I behave. Which is why I like this forum and feel relatively safe exploring hard questions like whether JFK (now, in 2020) would oppose or support abortion. It's an excellent question and I like to think it over rather than try to answer and be done with it. SO - if you've read this far - wow you're patient and indulgent of newbies like me. So the point, finally - 

I have another question, related:

Do you think the 'dirty coat hanger' type of abortion, which certainly did take place, is a helpful reference? I think reasonable people can and do think so - highlighting the plight of a rejected, pregnant, frightened young woman. My own position is, that the pregnant woman and her fetus represent two patients, and now that another human life is at stake in the fetus, the doctor must consider both patients in front of them - a woman and her unborn fetus. And that is a hard situation no matter what. Best response is to provide EVERYTHING to make it possible and easier (it's never easy) for that mother to carry her fetus to term. It's a big departure from the guy I was when I went to that protest, and engaged with the extremist using the horrible photo of an aborted fetus on his sign. Thank my God He's brought me to a place of love and forgiveness, and called me to action to help and on the team of healing for both patients. Knowing that doing my best to help that Mom before during and after her pregnancy, to escape the terrible situation she's in - that is unimaginable to a person of privilege, for the most part. A situation that in 'normal' Mayberry fictional communities, is a joyous thing not a scary one: being pregnant. OKAY that's why I love this topic - exploring real issues, hard choices, with people who are respectful and not afraid to engage either. Thanks for that.

A corollary - I was taught how to truly support pregnant Moms - to the extent I know anything on the subject - through the existence of a woman who founded a home to shelter moms who were made homeless by their choice to keep their unborn fetus and carry him or her to term if God willed that were possible. She never bothered with debate, and she was ostracized by both secular folks (of course) AND the extreme right wing catholics in my community. That was enlightening. They used a flimsy excuse that revealed some were actively fear - mongering, and succeeding. And that finding a way to walk away from that ministry, by the extreme right wing Catholics - was inevitable. Any excuse, ultimately, would put her beyond their approval and therefore they would stop helping her. It's also brought me peace to understand and make community with people who disagree with me on beliefs, but are loving to others to the best of their ability. Okay, enough, now I'm just rambling. My bottom line - I understand your question about coat hanger abortions and whether JFK would approve - then or now or ever - and I think it's an excellent question. My question back to you: is the BEST response to a woman in crisis due to unwanted pregnancy - to support her without question or judgment, and to reduce the impact of all her choices - the huge economic impact and physical risk and pain of bringing her fetus to term, as well as the psychological trauma of aborting her fetus, and helping her make an informed choice. I know, I've loaded that question with stuff you might think unfair. It's really what I believe - there's trauma in either choice, and it's my experience most women who are truly free to choose, choose to carry their pregnancy to term. Those who do not, sometimes are permanently harmed by aborting their child, and sometimes in response to that, will have a replacement pregnancy. Okay more than enough. Suffice it to say I no longer think there is one right answer. But there are excellent questions. Yours is one. Mine is the one I ask, on the basis the pregnant woman seeking an abortion represents two patients to the person they're seeing for an abortion. That is, can we and should we make every possible support available to a pregnant, to help her through it, and save many more fetuses that would otherwise be lost to abortion. I loved the analysis I heard once, that the pro-life movement has 'a love affair with the fetus'. Indeed we do, in the correct usage of 'love affair' as a relationship of unconditional love - not a pathological adult - child relationship as is implied.

Now I'm finally done - thanks for the prompt. Please know that, again, I KNOW that reasonable people, whom I respect and care for, have utterly different opinions on the correct actions when faced with a woman who has a crisis pregnancy. - WJSwitzer out.

Corollary - and at last, the position I have arrived at

Grampa wjswitzer
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I have posted on this a number of times. The far right of the RC Church is aligned with Trump. Right now the current Pope is not far right and is replacing far right leadership (like we see here.) with centrists. The main issue is abortion.

There is a movement within the Church to over throw the pope. Steve Banon is part of that group. Yes he is Trumps guy in the group. They spent 1 million to buy a Castle  in Italy as their Hqs.  The people in the near by town tried to stop the sale.

The group has been very quiet for some time now.

Social Butterfly

Jesus was certainly not a Republican, and threw the money changers out of the Temple.

Jesus was a healer and for the people, and crucified for it.

How can the Catholic Church ever align with Trump?

Honored Social Butterfly

I understand that Jesus had nothing to do with politics and said 'render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto God that is God's'.  Further didn't he say 'my Kingdom is not of this world'?  Religion is religion and politics is politics.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yeah, Jesus sure did baffle the religious ones and the politicians alike (Pharisees, scribes, Romans). He even baffled his followers by hanging around with sinners so much it ruined his reputation. And made it pretty tough for them, too. There's no doubt for me - Jesus is a very tough act to follow. And yet I try. In this world but not of it is the idea, for me. Listening in enemy occupied territory, to Radio Free Europe, like CS Lewis suggested we are doing when we pray and meditate. And like CS Lewis I find the parable of the sheep and the goats is . . . scary. Since the goats are smug - they're CONVINCED they're saved, and the sheep are pretty much amazed to find out they are going to heaven. That's scary enough to humble any democrat or republican who pays attention

Grampa wjswitzer
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

I understand that Jesus had nothing to do with politics and said 'render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto God that is God's'.  Further didn't he say 'my Kingdom is not of this world'?  Religion is religion and politics is politics.

It has nothing todo with Jesus.

Whether you like it or not the far right of the RC and EV have thrown in with Trump. They use him to get what they want in setting the laws  we all live under, and he uses them to gain power.

The far right RC have been loosing power under the current Pope and want to get him out, and Trump is helping them, and Steve Bannon is Trump guy in the project. By the way the Pope has been overthrown before. Check history.

If you study history you will find Religion has been at the heart of most wars and millions have died in them. Go the middle east and southern Europe, Turkey you will learn this over and over again.

Right now check what is going on with the EV TV shows. We have Jim Baker now on 24 hrs a day 7 days a week preaching vote for Trump. Jay S just expanded his show to include the former ambassador to Germany to increase the Trump backing. All of the shows now spend time telling the flock to vote for trump.

Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

To the contrary.  When a religious leader says that religion has something to do with politics then it does.  Religious doctrine is separate and apart from politics, except that it might have a bearing on the politician's character.  That is the reason for the first amendment provision for the free exercise of religion.

As far as religious history, I have done in-depth study of religion from biblical Christianity through the Reformation.  In my study I find that religion was used as an excuse for wars in the Middle Ages contrary to it supposed to be a message of peace.  It could be said that it is used today to control others.  Some like to use politics to do the same, much like Trump is attempting.  Regarding those other names you mentioned, remember that it is mentioned in the Bible that there would be false prophets.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

To the contrary.  When a religious leader says that religion has something to do with politics then it does.  Religious doctrine is separate and apart from politics, except that it might have a bearing on the politician's character.  That is the reason for the first amendment provision for the free exercise of religion.

As far as religious history, I have done in-depth study of religion from biblical Christianity through the Reformation.  In my study I find that religion was used as an excuse for wars in the Middle Ages contrary to it supposed to be a message of peace.  It could be said that it is used today to control others.  Some like to use politics to do the same, much like Trump is attempting.  Regarding those other names you mentioned, remember that it is mentioned in the Bible that there would be false prophets.

Lets go by the numbers.

1. When a religious leader says something has to do with politics in the USA he is telling a lie 99% of the time.

There are many religions in the USA all with different beliefs. We as a free people are free to join one of them and accept their beliefs, or not to join and reject their  beliefs.

What is going on here is the EV and far right RC have struck a deal with the devil and if they get their way everyone in the USA will be forced to accept their beliefs as they will become law. An example would be if one group of Muslims forced their beliefs on all every one would have to become Muslim or die.

Now you do know the EV and far right RC are really not on the same page which in the end leads to major problems. The EV broke away from the RC years ago because they would not accept all the beliefs of the RC. Abortion was one they agreed on. I am sure you have heard of the KKK. Well when founded most members of the KKK were EV. One of the K stands for the RC church. That is how much apart they are.

2. No religion was the cause of the wars so what ever you were using to study from was covering up the truth. As I said go visit the area. There are many false prophets in all branches of religion that is why you keep religion out of Govt. in a democracy. Everyone is free to choose their own just so long as their own does not hurt others, and for the most part that has happened in the USA.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

No religion was the cause of the wars so what ever you were using to study from was covering up the truth. As I said go visit the area. There are many false prophets in all branches of religion that is why you keep religion out of Govt. in a democracy. Everyone is free to choose their own just so long as their own does not hurt others, and for the most part that has happened in the USA.

Suggest to carry on an intelligent discussion spell out what you are referring to instead of using initials, .  As far as my references, I am using biblical and secular history.  As I have already posted, I've done some extensive studying of Early Christianity and that leading up through the Medieval period and beyond.   Who hasn't heard of 'holy wars' during the Middle Ages.  The reason religion should be kept out of democracy is based on the religious control of government in Europe during that period even somewhat today.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

No religion was the cause of the wars so what ever you were using to study from was covering up the truth. As I said go visit the area. There are many false prophets in all branches of religion that is why you keep religion out of Govt. in a democracy. Everyone is free to choose their own just so long as their own does not hurt others, and for the most part that has happened in the USA.

Suggest to carry on an intelligent discussion spell out what you are referring to instead of using initials, .  As far as my references, I am using biblical and secular history.  As I have already posted, I've done some extensive studying of Early Christianity and that leading up through the Medieval period and beyond.   Who hasn't heard of 'holy wars' during the Middle Ages.  The reason religion should be kept out of democracy is based on the religious control of government in Europe during that period even somewhat today.  

It is an intelligent discussion to people who know and understand the subject.  I am using actual fact of what happened. Since there are many versions of biblical history so that limits how it is used. They were the same type of wars we are seeing now. One religion trying to replace another so that people would be forced to live under their beliefs.

The EV and far right RC are today doing the same thing that was done in the Middle east and Europe. Trying to make people live under their beliefs. Our Country was founded to keep religion out of more than govt. It was to keep it to the members of it who joined it freely.

You see the EV and far right RC in action today on the SC pick. They have a deal with Trump that EV get to ok the pick. Lets see what happens now. You saw it 4 years ago when they stopped Obama pick because they felt their rules would not be forced on all.

You keep Govt, Business  religion out of every ones lives period. People pick what they want to take part in, or take no part in.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

You see the EV and far right RC in action today on the SC pick. They have a deal with Trump that EV get to ok the pick. Lets see what happens now. You saw it 4 years ago when they stopped Obama pick because they felt their rules would not be forced on all.

You keep Govt, Business  religion out of every ones lives period. People pick what they want to take part in, or take no part in.

Who is the EV, RC & SC?  What do they have to do with the topic?   What does Trump have to do with this discussion?  Throwing Trump into the discussion is much like George Bush & Co was in bringing up "9-11" in whatever discussion.  

Why don't you just have a nice evening?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

Who is the EV, RC & SC?  What do they have to do with the topic?   What does Trump have to do with this discussion?  Throwing Trump into the discussion is much like George Bush & Co was in bringing up "9-11" in whatever discussion.  

Why don't you just have a nice evening?

I have defined them before but here it is again.

Evangelical Christians, Far right Roman Catholic, Supreme Court

Trump is a big part of this discussion as he made the deal with them. You support me, and I will get what you want in to law. If you did not know that you can discuss this subject in the USA at all.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

Trump is a big part of this discussion as he made the deal with them. You support me, and I will get what you want in to law. If you did not know that you can discuss this subject in the USA at all.

Trump has nothing to do with religion, nor this topic.  I have not mentioned anything about anything you mentioned.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

Trump has nothing to do with religion, nor this topic.  I have not mentioned anything about anything you mentioned.  

Looks like you did not read or understand this topic.

Trump has joined a group to overthrow the current Pope. He has a person working with that group. Steve Bannon.  They spent one million to buy  the Castle where their Hqs. is in Italy. Steve was involved in other such endeavors for Trump in Europe. He tried to defeat the current Pres of France and failed. The same for Germany. Now you know why Trump does not get along with them, He helped make Boris Johnson PM of England, and was active in getting England out of the EU. He worked to get a Trump like Govt. in Italy and succeeded, and that is why Italy has been in such a mess. He was also working in Spain.

It always helps to read everything concerning a subject under discussion, and everything I just posted has been posted by me before in this thread.

Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

"Trump"

You and some others here keep preaching to the choir, although I take a different approach to this so as to not turn people off.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

"Trump"

You and some others here keep preaching to the choir, although I take a different approach to this so as to not turn people off.  

Hate to break the news to you. The way things used to be done no longer applies as we are dealing with a Dictator and his supporters. Just look at Germany as Hitler took control. There were people who tried to be nice and not turn people off. That worked fine we had WW2 to end Hitler. You end Trump you end the problem, and you do not end Dictators by not turning off their supporters.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Doesn't the Catholic Church have bigger fish to fry mending their own reputation than aligning themselves with a serial womanizer who is up on rape charges?

Remember all the money they have to pay for the priests raping children? 

What would Jesus do?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Well THAT was a close one @Roxanna35 ! I understand going to H**l is a real difficult experience, so yay Republicans for being smart about it. Except for that pesky parable of the sheep and the goats. The frightening thing is . . . the goats are CONVINCED they're the Godly ones, and vice versa. Perfect for a discussion ender, all around - cold breath of air to the heat of hubris? Sorry for butting in but this is kind of a great topic.
Grampa wjswitzer
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I can't believe he's a priest and allowed to spew the stuff he does. 

https://catholicconvert.com/blog/2020/07/03/another-homily-by-fr-james-altman-racism-and-what-we-are...

Regular Contributor

Really you can't? (believe he's a priest @ManicProgressive ) There are good ones, great ones and . . . the rest. Kind of like everywhere else I happen to think. But my daughter likes to say (applicable to the role of priest and ESPECIALLY to the role of Bishop) 'It isn't that power corrupts . . . power attracts the corruptible.' Brilliant kid - also gave me this to read, on servant leadership . . . https://www.betterworldbooks.com/product/detail/9780374500368-9780374500368

And yes this is an unabashed attempt to discuss so . . . response optional (of course)

Grampa wjswitzer
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive    He is not only a priest he happens to be a bishop, and he was warning one of his priests for not telling people in his church that if they werr Democrats then they were not Catholics.
I just saw another ad by the Catholic church that lists the names of the nominees   that Trump will try to put in the Supreme Court.
I guess that they are waiting for any of them dying or retiring. LOL but I wonder what will they do, if the Senate turns Democrat LOL LOL

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Moscow Mitch and Putin Poodle will try and ram thru some 35 year-old Nazi to totally politicize the SCOTUS.

Not sure Democrats can do anything to stop it before 20 Jan 2021, so thanks again all you Democrats who couldn't be bothered to get out to vote for Hillary. Now the World will have to live with an America dedicated to the consolidation of wealth and income while abandoning equal justice under the law and human decency for DECADES.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png