Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The left has taken over the Politics and Current Event Board

Message 71 of 328

Here we go again - another board where the topic is completely ignored in exchange for a scad of personal posts about what somebody calls themself.

And, of course, some totally extraneous gibberish reposted from something called theeverlastinggopstopper. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 328

KidBoy2     I hear you.   But I  always thought  it was worthwhile to post  because many people read the messages but don't participate in the discussions.    At least,  on the old boards we could see how many people viewed the threads and it was often some big numbers......maybe there is a way to see how many people  look in now but I'm not aware that the feature exists .                   

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 328

Re: The left has taken over the Politics and Current Event Board [ Edited ]
Options
‎06-10-2014 01:15 AM - edited ‎06-10-2014 01:17 AM

Kidboy2 - Well you have to put this in perspective.
AARP has 30 million members,
It seems only a small fraction visit these Forums.

I am relatively new myself, but am already finding my interest fading because it is so stale.
Not much more than political cheerleaders.
In your example, you only indicated a few heavily biased liberals .. but there are folks on the opposing mirror image too.

The bigger problem of course is there is very little DEPTH to the discussions and some of the folks you reference seem to just want to play the old "my team is good and your team is bad" -- shallow thinking mentality.

If you get too complex in your examples, they get lost and just whip out some wisecrack because it does not appear they really want to seriously discuss topics .... some just seem to be seeking to start a fight for the love of the conflict.
Yawn ..... a waste of time.

Look at ALL the threads in this section.

There are only about 12 of the same people posting back and forth about all the topics.

So it's a really, really small and insignificant Pond in the scheme of things.

In the end you have to ask yourself how you wish to spend your time.
Then you can decide if chatting with this same small handful of posters is worth your time -- or -- you could accomplish more and/or enjoy yourself doing something else.

MichaelSpitzer posted that on 6-10. It still is spot on today.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 328

The RaffertyView

"

Posters...321, TX, John258, runner50, Mandm, oldscout66 and others on the left have taken over the P&C board and show they will do anyting to get others that do not agree with them off.

They own it...pushy people seem to get their way....attack, attack, bait, bait, iinsult, insult, make snide reamrk whatever they can do.  It seem to work as many have left the P & C board. 

You are correct, KidBoy2.

I cannot believe the amount of hate expressed by these people toward anyone who disagrees with their views.

I can't believe the AARP allows these malcontents to so mean and vicious toward good people who have different opinions than they do about politics."

Don't you mean the amount of hate expressed by right wing pundits and media? Have you heard the rants of Mark Levin? He told one caller who disagreed with him, "Well I don’t know why your husband doesn’t put a gun to his temple. Get the hell out of here." (http://theamericanscene.com/2009/05/22/-i-don-t-know-why-your-husband-doesn-t-put-a-gun-to-his-templ...

Or the MANY hate comments by Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, etc. NO ONE expresses hate and vitriol like right wing hate mongers.....but they claim they are "Christians."

LOTS of money behind them though as they rangle in the sheep.

Politico Exposes Dirty Money Behind Right-Wing Hate Radio (VIDEO)

http://www.theeverlastinggopstoppers.com/2014/04/politico-exposes-dirty-money-right-wing-hate-radio-...

“A POLITICO review of filings with the Internal Revenue Service and Federal Election Commission, as well as interviews and reviews of radio shows, found that conservative groups spent nearly $22 million to broker and pay for involved advertising relationships known as sponsorships with a handful of influential talkers including Beck, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Mark Levin and Rush Limbaugh between the first talk radio deals in 2008 and the end of 2012. Since then, the sponsorship deals have grown more lucrative and tea party-oriented, with legacy groups like The Heritage Foundation ending their sponsorships and groups like the Tea Party Patriots placing big ad buys."

Politico warns that the huge amounts of ad buys and other support to these echo-chamber groups that consistently push false, misleading and often racist narratives can and will have a profound impact on the 2014 mid-term elections in November.

Unfortunately, these radio hosts have massive, gullible audiences that are easily manipulated by the constant drum-beat of negativity and often conspiratorial nature of the narrative. As such, it’s imperative that progressives and liberals continue to expose the lies and hypocrisy that these groups push – and make sure that those on the left turn out in huge numbers in November.

Please talk a moment and read the entire article on Politico HERE:

The tea party radio network

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/tea-party-radio-network-105774.html?hp=t1

Glenn Beck worked the crowd like a preacher at a rally this month in Louisville, Ky., declaring that God had responded to conservatives’ prayers by sending a slate of tea party candidates to wrest control of the Republican Party from Mitch McConnell.

But there was a more earthly benefit to the arrangement that brought Beck to the rally. It was organized by the tea party nonprofit group FreedomWorks, which had endorsed the candidates — and which has paid more than $6 million in recent years to have Beck promote the group, its initiatives and events.

The FreedomWorks-Beck relationship is just one example of a powerful and profitable alliance between the conservative movement’s most aggressive groups and the most popular radio hosts. The details of the arrangements are little-known, but they have been lucrative for the recipients, and, in turn, have helped ensure that the groups get coveted airtime from hosts with a demonstrated ability to leverage their tens of millions of listeners to shape American politics. It’s an alliance that helped spawn the anti-establishment tea party and power Republicans to landslide victories in the 2010 midterms. It’s also exacerbated congressional gridlock by pushing a hard line on the budget, immigration and Obamacare, and it is roiling the Republican Party headed into critical midterm elections.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 328

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Big Lib, he has numerous used IDs which he uses on this website. At one point in time AARP finally caught on, but he's back to his old tricks, signing on with multiple User IDs.

He sticks out like a sore thumb whether it's a familiar old ID or a brand new one.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 328

@BigLib wrote:

That name "RaffertyView" sounded familiar, and now I remember why. Remember when AmericanIdle got banned? Yeah, this was the person who was supposedly being an advocate for them, but me thinks they are one in the same.

Yep, they are all the same person. There used to be threads with many replies, but only one person doing the posting.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

The left has taken over the Politics and Current Event Board

Message 77 of 328

Big Lib, he has numerous used IDs which he utilizes on this website. At one point in time AARP finally caught on, but he's back to his old tricks, signing on with multiple User IDs.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 328

@Quackers wrote:

@TheRaffertyView wrote:

I can't believe the AARP allows these malcontents to so mean and vicious toward good people who have different opinions than they do about politics.

Did you tire of using CessnaCJ76 already? How sad since we were just getting to know him. *dying laughing*

That name "RaffertyView" sounded familiar, and now I remember why. Remember when AmericanIdle got banned? Yeah, this was the person who was supposedly being an advocate for them, but me thinks they are one in the same.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 328

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@TheRaffertyView wrote:

Posters...321, TX, John258, runner50, Mandm, oldscout66 and others on the left have taken over the P&C board and show they will do anyting to get others that do not agree with them off.

They own it...pushy people seem to get their way....attack, attack, bait, bait, iinsult, insult, make snide reamrk whatever they can do.  It seem to work as many have left the P & C board. 

You are correct, KidBoy2.

I cannot believe the amount of hate expressed by these people toward anyone who disagrees with their views.

I can't believe the AARP allows these malcontents to so mean and vicious toward good people who have different opinions than they do about politics.

Back after a year's hiatus?   And we were just getting familar with Cessna again.  Tell your friend AmericanIdle hi for us.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 328

I removed the post...duplicate
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors