Become a safer, more confident driver with the AARP Smart Driver course! Use the promo code VET and save 25% during November.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The left has taken over the Politics and Current Event Board

Message 301 of 328

Viviajm, "I don't agree with any part of this definiton of a moderate. All a moderate is (in the politcal sense of the word) is someone who takes a middle ground position.  It has nothing to do with opinion versus facts. A person may be a moderate on a single position but if they are that way on all positions they are nothing but a fence sitter with no real opinions they can defend."; Excellent point. 

Please note that in several scandals discussed in these threads, the facts are most available at the start, then are held hostage for an 'investigation' that turns out to be a cover up, then everything is denied, then inconvenient uncontested evidence comes out, then they can say, "Dude, that was so 2 years ago". So whether it's from left/center/or right, let's not reward those who mix truth with a truckload of manure by waiting when we know what's going on. Atty General Holder can do impartial investigations implicating the Administration of which he is a linchpin?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 302 of 328
I should have titled the thread HATE HAS TAKEN OVER THE P & C BOARD.

The attacks, snide remarks, insults, personal lies about another poster, just to name a few have made this board for the most part a hate board.

When posters attack the fact that I belong to the VFW it hit a new low.

But it is the left that have taken over this board and many on the left continue to attack posters that disagree with them or are critical of Obama...they continue to say its because of his race....you hate Obama...etc.

The moderators do not care when posters call a poster un-American etc.

I think its time for us that are conservatives to let the left have this board so they can pat each other on the back and say how great everything are.

Some say its the new format for fewer posting...its not...its the way the liberals (most of them) go after new poster until they give up and leave.....over the years I have seen this.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

The left has taken over the Politics and Current Event Board

Message 303 of 328

As I stated before, Tex is bringing up various side issues which muddy the discussion. If he thinks this is a stupid topic then maybe he should refrain from commenting again.

For me, the definition of a politcial moderate is not clear cut but we can make some generalizations which most of us can agree upon. Two people can honestly disagree on how to resolve an issue but others can and will perceive both of them as being reasonable and moderate. I will refer back to the Ukraine crisis as an example.

Two people can completely disagree on whether we should impose economic sanctions on Russia and most of us will say both of them are taking a moderate postion. 

However, if someone takes a position that an incursion into the Ukraine by some radical elements means we should go to war with Russia, he/she would NOT be perceived as a moderate by most reasonable Americans.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 304 of 328

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Tex, I couldn't disagree more with your defiition of a moderate. A moderate takes reasonable positions on various issues and bases his/her decision on facts before making a choice. 

Just One Example

A radical right winger would support that idiot Senator Cruz from TX in closing down the government.

A moderate would say we may disagree on how to reduce the deficit but closing down the government is not a viable option because it would actually increase the deficit and harm the reputation of the U.S.

You've just defined me as a moderate. That the GOP controls the purse strings, and as all spending measures MUST begin in the House, it wasn't too hard to figure out where their obstructionist tactics would lead us - first to a downgrade of our credit rating, and then to a government shutdown.

So unless a moderate thinking like a liberal automatically makes them a radical leftist, your definition needs further refining.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 305 of 328

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

RK asked a good question, " how do we distinguish between leftists and moderates and everything else??"

Unfortunately members like KidBoy define anyone who agrees with any Obama policy as a left wing liberal. Of course intelligent people realize that isn't true. Anyway, back to RK's question. Here are some suggestions:

• A moderate is someone who understands the differences between FACTS and OPINIONS.
  • A moderate in this forum would be someone who agrees with Obama on some issues and disagrees with him on others.
  • A moderate is someone who isn't always cheering for Obama policies under all conditions. For example, I'm in favor of the ACA but realize it has several components which need to be modified or eliminated.
  • A moderate is someone who takes a position most people would consider normal and reasonable, even if we disagree with that position.

Now I have a question for you, How many in this Message Board will agree with your definition of what is a Moderate? I am pessimistic about the what you may find. but curious nevertheless.

I would question the last definition.  I would believe that a moderate would be one that neither side agrees with, but the position is in the middle.  There are many opinions on both sides that I don't agree with.

In my opinion both definitions have some validity. A moderate will have some opinions that both sides think is reasonable and will have some that neither side will accept.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 306 of 328

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Tex is bringing up side issues which is confusing the subject matter for him.

Are you sure?  I am aware of the subject matter, and I'm aware that you are pretty well dogmatic as always in your opinions.  And what makes you more right than myself?

Can a person consider themselves a moderate when they have held extreme views that are leftist or conservative?   Can you say that you have been neither?

Now this has turned into an idiotic discussion. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 307 of 328

Tex is bringing up side issues which deflects us away from the subject matter.

The point of my argument is very basic. Two or more people can completely disagree on a political issue but most people can view their positions as reasonable and moderate. And that's my definition of a Moderate, someone who takes positions the majority of Americans pereceive as reasonable, even if they disagree.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 308 of 328

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Posters...321, TX, John258, runner50, Mandm, oldscout66 and others on the left have taken over the P & C board and show they will do anything to get others that do not agree with them off.

They own it...pushy people seem to get their way....attack, attack, bait, bait, insult, insult, make snide remark whatever they can do.  It seem to work as many have left the P & C board. 

Well .................... since my screen name wasn't mentioned, I guess I must be considered as 'moderate'? 

Most who left the discussion groups here left because of the new changes/format that AARP implemented, not because of other posters.

Could this topic itself be considered as 'baiting'?   Just asking.

The short answer is YEP!

As I have said before, there are lots of topics that could be discussed and most here would logically agree.   Most here can write on any side of a discussion, because we have read information from a variety of sources - this particular thread is pretty hilarious - in that the author appears to have a singular focus - and gets called out on it.

For example yesterday:   I wrote a thread about the incident in Las Vegas and queried - is this the "revolution" that one blogger here was calling for?   I never received an answer....does that mean that I control this board?    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 309 of 328

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Tex is confusing disagreements with being reasonable.

So is one persons opinion overruling another?  Is that being reasonable?  Is someone who cannot accept another person's opinion being moderate or conservative?  Already from KidBoy's original post ranting against the left, we have seen a divergence of opinions over the spectrum.   And it seems like the original post, most have been driven by bias and personalities. 

I have no doubt that some posts have been driven by personal bias against another.  Interesting lesson in life.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 310 of 328

Once again, I disagree with Tex. Two people can have different opinions on an issue while MOST people would agree both people are taking a reasonable and moderate position. Tex is confusing disagreements with being reasonable.

Let's use the Ukraine crisis as an example. Tex may think we should place sanctions on Russia while I might think that's a bad idea. But even though we disagree, both positions are reasonable and moderate.

However, if someone thinks we should go to war with Russia over the Ukraine, most people would not consider such a position moderate or reasonable. They would consider it radical or extremist.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors