Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The left has taken over the Politics and Current Event Board

Message 211 of 328

@Snoopy48 wrote:

In response to your "fact 4" the Republicans refused to negotiate for 5 months and when it came down to the wire they had backed themselves into a corner and had nothing to negotiate with. There only request, which was repeated over and over, was "defund the ACA". Every bill they offered had that written in and they would not move off it for anything. So, yes, any intelligent person knows that it was the Republicans who were responsible for the shutdown.

Here is what I listed as fact 4:

Fact number 4: IN EVERY SINGLE SHUTDOWN, CONGRESS DEMANDED SOMETHING AND THE PRESIDENT INITIALLY REFUSED. IN EVERY SINGLE SHUTDOWN, A SETTLEMENT WAS REACHED VIA COMPROMISE. IN THE LAST SHUTDOWN, OBAMA REFUSED TO COMPROMISE. NOW WE ALL KNOW THERE IS NO WAY HE WOULD DO ANYTHING TO HURT HIS SIGNATURE LEGISLATION. (Besides, it will take care of itself.) BUT INSTEAD OF OFFERING ANYTHING, INSTEAD OF DOING ANYTHING, INSTEAD LEADING LIKE EVERY OTHER PRESIDENT BEFORE HIM DID, HE SAID HE WOULDN’T EVEN DISCUSS A COMPROMISE.

What Obama said was that it was Congress job to approve his budget and that he would not discuss it unless they FIRST approved what he wanted.  That's not negotiating.

"Obama said at a White House news conference that he was "not budging" on his position that congressional Republicans raise the nation's borrowing authority without preconditions, and to allow a vote on a stopgap funding bill to reopen the government."

"Members of Congress — and the House Republicans in particular — don't get to demand ransom in exchange for doing their jobs, and two of their very basic jobs are passing a budget and making sure that America's paying its bills," Obama said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/10/08/obama-boehner-shutdown-battle-press-conferenc...

So try again.  Point to something I said that was devoid of facts.  Actually, now that I think about it, what you said above is devoid of fact.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 212 of 328

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Best just to leave him alone for now.  Dealing with him is just feeding his ego.  He's already showed his character.

Do what you want.  I've had enough of the attacks and nothing is going to change from here on.  And ypou obviousluy have no character.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 213 of 328

As I tried to point out 141 posts ago  -   

The title of this entire thread says it all  -

"Leftists ,  aka "Extremists"  Take Over the P & C Board ". 

The Right Wingers have an uncanny inability to recognize themselves as extremists,  just as they possess the inability to recognize the difference between leftists and moderates.    

Anyone who disagrees with them,  on Anything,   is Automatically a Leftist.   Leaving no room for anything else. 

No Moderates need apply

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 214 of 328

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Best just to leave him alone for now.  Dealing with him is just feeding his ego.  He's already showed his character.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 215 of 328

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@corb0503 wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:
I should have titled the thread HATE HAS TAKEN OVER THE P & C BOARD.

The attacks, snide remarks, insults, personal lies about another poster, just to name a few have made this board for the most part a hate board.

When posters attack the fact that I belong to the VFW it hit a new low.

But it is the left that have taken over this board and many on the left continue to attack posters that disagree with them or are critical of Obama...they continue to say its because of his race....you hate Obama...etc.

The moderators do not care when posters call a poster un-American etc.

I think its time for us that are conservatives to let the left have this board so they can pat each other on the back and say how great everything are.

Some say its the new format for fewer posting...its not...its the way the liberals (most of them) go after new poster until they give up and leave.....over the years I have seen this.

Don't let it get you down, Kidboy. They really haven't taken over anything. In fact, that's probably the real issue. Liberal democrats really have NOTHING they can use in the way of facts to make a case, so they just make snide remarks and spout the same old nonsensical rhetoric over and over and over and over....

Just as an example, what's the first thing they imply here? That the bad old republicans shut down the government. The majority of intelligent people are beginning to understand that it was actually Obama and the democrats who shut down the government, but they just continue to spout the party line.

The only things the democrats have going for them is rhetoric and PR. As for the former, CNN stated it perfectly when they were talking about Obama's plummeting popularity. They said that eventually reality will always overtake rhetoric. As for the latter, the republicans need to do a better job with PR, but intelligent people are beginning to understand that nothing is being accomplished by this administration and all we hear is PR. And the reason they beginning to understand that it's just all PR is that when it's questioned no facts are presented, just snide remarks and attacks. I guess it can be frustrating, but what else are they going to do when they have a do nothing president that has devastated their party?

This is your first post in this thread that does not contain any facts but just snide remarks and attacks.

And what is the snide remark and who did I attack?  The democrats and Obama?  They're both fair game according to the TOS and worse had already been said about kid and republicans.  So tell me what in is not factual?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 216 of 328

In response to your "fact 4" the Republicans refused to negotiate for 5 months and when it came down to the wire they had backed themselves into a corner and had nothing to negotiate with. There only request, which was repeated over and over, was "defund the ACA". Every bill they offered had that written in and they would not move off it for anything. So, yes, any intelligent person knows that it was the Republicans who were responsible for the shutdown.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 217 of 328

@corb0503 wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:
I should have titled the thread HATE HAS TAKEN OVER THE P & C BOARD.

The attacks, snide remarks, insults, personal lies about another poster, just to name a few have made this board for the most part a hate board.

When posters attack the fact that I belong to the VFW it hit a new low.

But it is the left that have taken over this board and many on the left continue to attack posters that disagree with them or are critical of Obama...they continue to say its because of his race....you hate Obama...etc.

The moderators do not care when posters call a poster un-American etc.

I think its time for us that are conservatives to let the left have this board so they can pat each other on the back and say how great everything are.

Some say its the new format for fewer posting...its not...its the way the liberals (most of them) go after new poster until they give up and leave.....over the years I have seen this.

Don't let it get you down, Kidboy. They really haven't taken over anything. In fact, that's probably the real issue. Liberal democrats really have NOTHING they can use in the way of facts to make a case, so they just make snide remarks and spout the same old nonsensical rhetoric over and over and over and over....

Just as an example, what's the first thing they imply here? That the bad old republicans shut down the government. The majority of intelligent people are beginning to understand that it was actually Obama and the democrats who shut down the government, but they just continue to spout the party line.

The only things the democrats have going for them is rhetoric and PR. As for the former, CNN stated it perfectly when they were talking about Obama's plummeting popularity. They said that eventually reality will always overtake rhetoric. As for the latter, the republicans need to do a better job with PR, but intelligent people are beginning to understand that nothing is being accomplished by this administration and all we hear is PR. And the reason they beginning to understand that it's just all PR is that when it's questioned no facts are presented, just snide remarks and attacks. I guess it can be frustrating, but what else are they going to do when they have a do nothing president that has devastated their party?

This is your first post in this thread that does not contain any facts but just snide remarks and attacks.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 218 of 328

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

...and how did those shutdowns end? The Republicans caved. So, in the case of our most recent shutdown (by your logic) any "hardships" were caused by the Democrats by not caving.

The republicans did not "cave". Republicans and Democrats COMPROMISED. The extreme right wing now considers compromising caving in, but most reasonable people EXPECT a compromise to resolve a dispute. This "take it or leave it" mindset of the GOP could also explain why their approval ratings are always reaching historic new lows.

That's funny, the "take it or leave it" leave it came from Obama who refused to compromise.  So, for the good of thje country, the republicans ended the shutdown and the democrats immediately slipped billions in pork in the bill. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 219 of 328

@BigLib wrote:

@corb0503 wrote:

So you obviously agree that that the 15 times the democrats controlled the House when there was a shutdown was the fault of the democrats.  Or does that prove that your youngest kid is really ignorant?

Ignorant Fox News propaganda that right wingers blindly swallow has failed yet again. Perhaps those that can read might be interested to find that history doesn't support the convenient lies they regurgitate. From the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/25/here-is-every-previous-government-shutdow...

What does Fox news have to do with any of this?  Oh wait, I know.  That's the standard left response that they think somehow trumps facts and truth.

"It's also important to note that not all shutdowns are created equal. Before some 1980 and 1981 opinions issued by then-Attorney General Benjamin Civiletti, a failure to fund some part of the government didn't necessarily mean that that part of government would stop functioning. Civiletti's opinions interpreted the Antideficiency Act, a law passed in 1884, as meaning that a failure to pass new spending bills required government functioning to shut down in whole or in part. So the "shutdowns" listed below that happened between 1976 tand 1979 did not always entail an actual stop to government functioning; they were often simply funding gaps that didn't have any real-world effect."

Kind of like what would have happened in the last shutdown if Reid/Obama would have let the CRs get to the floor of the senate for a vote.

It's also interesting to see how long the shutdowns lasted (when there was, in fact, an actual shut down, and not just a funding gap before Civiletti changed it in 1980). Once it was determined that there would be actual work stoppages, Democrats resolved the shutdowns in 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, etc. You'll notice that the longest shut downs, where work actually does stop, come when Republicans have a hand in their duration.

It's also interesting that the shutdowns of short duration and, in fact, all previous shutdowns were resolved by the two sides compromising and the longest shutdowns came under Clinton and Obama who refused to compromise.  And what's even more interesting is that when the republicans ended it for the good of the country, the democrats slipped billions of dollars of pork in the bill that benefitted the democrats.

How many government workers do you think were furloughed during a one-day shutdown, corb? How many government monuments and museums were closed during a one-day shutdown, corb? How many government shutdowns, when Democrats controlled the House, resulted in a $24 BILLION dollar ding to the American economy, corb? Were Democrats repsonsible for those shutdowns? Yes. And they resolved the issues quickly, and got right back to work before any damage was done. How we wish the GOP and their supporters weren't so ignorant to learn and follow the same lesson.

How many workers would have been furloughed if Obama had been willing to compromise or at least let the CRs go through?  Were democrats responsible for that?  YES.  How we wish the Dems and their supporters were not such ignorant morons so they could actually understand the facts.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 220 of 328

Corb, I have been reading your posts on this discussion thread and almost all of them are completely devoid of real facts and are becoming more strident to the point of being offensive and inappropriate. 

I have been involved in debating and have had experience in debate. Much of that I learned in Toastmasters where I held many offices and achieved their highest communication designation. It is a very common debate tactic when a side that is clearly losing the debate to step away from civill discussion of the facts at hand and instead begin to attack the other side or the source of any material without any countering substance to back their accusations. 

You seem to have lost this debate on this topic. Your posts are more strident and your use of bold copy seems to be more of an attempt to shout down the other side rather than to carry on an intelligent discussion.   

Kudos
Views