AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The left has taken over the Politics and Current Event Board

Message 311 of 328

@CriticalThinking wrote:

A moderate is someone who reads up on the issues and takes what I would consider a reasonable position. 

But even with a reasonable position isn't agreed on by both sides.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

The left has taken over the Politics and Current Event Board

Message 312 of 328

Obvously there is no single definition of a moderate but I disagree with Viv. My definition of a moderate doesn't mean you always take the middle ground which sounds more like someone who can't make up their mind. A moderate is someone who reads up on the issues and takes what I would consider a reasonable position. 

A moderate can take a stand on one side of the issue as long as that position is one which most people see as reasonable.

Of course there's no set definition of reasonable but most of us can discern reasonable from radical. Would it be reasonable to threaten war against Russia over the Ukraine crisis? I don't think so. Would it be reasonable to shut down the U.S. Government over a disagreement on fiscal policy? I don't think so.

In the end, moderates can disagree on policy but most people perceive their positions as reasonable. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 313 of 328

@nyadrn wrote:

This is not a class room and this is not a grammer, punctuation, or manners comment.. it is my question about why another poster would make a post that basically qualified part of what kidboy asked..  since you did not make the post, you cannot answer in respect to his intent.. can you?

Can you?  I believe that Golfinsailor and others have much the same opinion of KidBoy's posts.   Can you answer his intent?  Or can you answer KidBoy's intent?  Is it your business to admonish others?  This is the second time recently that you've been doing that.  In the real world that would be called being a busy-body.  Just saying.

But, no, I doubt that was your intent since you have made similar in other situations.  We're not at a church social, but in a political discussion group.  If you don't like my comments, then ignore them like another poster here does.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 314 of 328

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Tex, I couldn't disagree more with your defiition of a moderate. A moderate takes reasonable positions on various issues and bases his/her decision on facts before making a choice. 

Just One Example

A radical right winger would support that idiot Senator Cruz from TX in closing down the government.

A moderate would say we may disagree on how to reduce the deficit but closing down the government is not a viable option because it would actually increase the deficit and harm the reputation of the U.S.

But of course.  And someone on the left would probably have a different opinion.  The question is what would be a reasonable opinion?  You have one, someone else has another?  Everyone is supposed to follow lockstep in definitions? 

With your example, a right winger would support your definition, a left 'winger' would say right on.  A moderate might say, wait a minute, why are you calling Ted Cruz an idiot.  So I disagree with you and perhaps those on the right.  Many times here I've been castigated because I wouldn't agree with you and others.  What have I been called?  More of defecting to the right.  Unpopular? 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 315 of 328

I don't agree with any part of this definiton of a moderate. All a moderate is (in the politcal sense of the word) is someone who takes a middle ground position.  It has nothing to do with opinion versus facts. A person may be a moderate on a single position but if they are that way on all positions they are nothing but a fence sitter with no real opinions they can defend.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 316 of 328

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

And I know that we don't need anyone to tell us how to post.  When someone acts kiddish then why not call them what they are?   He has been constantly whining for many years about others.

I could also ask what right do you have to tell others how to post?  Come on we're not in a classroom. 

This is not a class room and this is not a grammer, punctuation, or manners comment.. it is my question about why another poster would make a post that basically qualified part of what kidboy asked..  since you did not make the post, you cannot answer in respect to his intent.. can you?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

The left has taken over the Politics and Current Event Board

Message 317 of 328

Tex, I couldn't disagree more with your defiition of a moderate. A moderate takes reasonable positions on various issues and bases his/her decision on facts before making a choice. 

Just One Example

A radical right winger would support that idiot Senator Cruz from TX in closing down the government.

A moderate would say we may disagree on how to reduce the deficit but closing down the government is not a viable option because it would actually increase the deficit and harm the reputation of the U.S.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 318 of 328

@rker321 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

RK asked a good question, " how do we distinguish between leftists and moderates and everything else??"

Unfortunately members like KidBoy define anyone who agrees with any Obama policy as a left wing liberal. Of course intelligent people realize that isn't true. Anyway, back to RK's question. Here are some suggestions:

• A moderate is someone who understands the differences between FACTS and OPINIONS.
  • A moderate in this forum would be someone who agrees with Obama on some issues and disagrees with him on others.
  • A moderate is someone who isn't always cheering for Obama policies under all conditions. For example, I'm in favor of the ACA but realize it has several components which need to be modified or eliminated.
  • A moderate is someone who takes a position most people would consider normal and reasonable, even if we disagree with that position.

Now I have a question for you, How many in this Message Board will agree with your definition of what is a Moderate? I am pessimistic about the what you may find. but curious nevertheless.

I would question the last definition.  I would believe that a moderate would be one that neither side agrees with, but the position is in the middle.  There are many opinions on both sides that I don't agree with.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 319 of 328

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Posters...321, TX, John258, runner50, Mandm, oldscout66 and others on the left have taken over the P & C board and show they will do anything to get others that do not agree with them off.

They own it...pushy people seem to get their way....attack, attack, bait, bait, insult, insult, make snide remark whatever they can do.  It seem to work as many have left the P & C board. 

Well .................... since my screen name wasn't mentioned, I guess I must be considered as 'moderate'? 

Most who left the discussion groups here left because of the new changes/format that AARP implemented, not because of other posters.

Could this topic itself be considered as 'baiting'?   Just asking.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 320 of 328

@CriticalThinking wrote:

RK asked a good question, " how do we distinguish between leftists and moderates and everything else??"

Unfortunately members like KidBoy define anyone who agrees with any Obama policy as a left wing liberal. Of course intelligent people realize that isn't true. Anyway, back to RK's question. Here are some suggestions:

• A moderate is someone who understands the differences between FACTS and OPINIONS.
  • A moderate in this forum would be someone who agrees with Obama on some issues and disagrees with him on others.
  • A moderate is someone who isn't always cheering for Obama policies under all conditions. For example, I'm in favor of the ACA but realize it has several components which need to be modified or eliminated.
  • A moderate is someone who takes a position most people would consider normal and reasonable, even if we disagree with that position.

Now I have a question for you, How many in this Message Board will agree with your definition of what is a Moderate? I am pessimistic about the what you may find. but curious nevertheless.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22