AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The irony of jobs mining coal

Message 1 of 10

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

The logical reason and response is, because the coal mining industry is a passe industry that has "ending" written all over it.

That works for me. I understand that there are many factors that go into the demise of an industry - technology, demand, progress - it is only when "by government decree" enters the picture that I am concerned.

Yes. Thank God we live in a nation that does not do that. They DO set maximum standards for how much pollution a product may emit, of course. 

Surely you know that Obama threatened to put the coal industry out of business.

This was his quote in 2008.  Certainly seems prophetic today. Hardly a threat. More of a prediction and a very accurate one. 

“If somebody wants to build a coal-fired power plant, they can. It’s just that it will bankrupt them,” Obama said, responding to a question about his cap-and-trade plan.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

The logical reason and response is, because the coal mining industry is a passe industry that has "ending" written all over it.

That works for me. I understand that there are many factors that go into the demise of an industry - technology, demand, progress - it is only when "by government decree" enters the picture that I am concerned.

Yes. Thank God we live in a nation that does not do that. They DO set maximum standards for how much pollution a product may emit, of course. 

Surely you know that Obama threatened to put the coal industry out of business.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@rk9152 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@rker321 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I find Trump & the Republican's love affair with coal miner's to be very interesting. First, let us get the proportions. There are more people who work for Arby's than work in the coal industry. 

Next, let's talk about how they became "good" jobs.  Unions!!!!!

Prior to unions the coal industry paid pitiful wages and had dangerous working conditions.  Who can forget the "company store"  where you bought all your groceries and supplies at prices marked up to match any wage gains? 

Does that address why those jobs are not valuable to the workers now?? 

"Love affair"????? I suppose a capitalist would be interested in private sector jobs. But, "love affair"??

Of course my post does not address what is happening to those jobs now.  That is a completely different subject and has no relevance to this thread.  Just answering the question asked of me.  

I am not sure if you are responding to my thread though.  I did not mention a "love affair".  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

"Love affair"????? I suppose a capitalist would be interested in private sector jobs. But, "love affair"??

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

@Richva wrote:

I find Trump & the Republican's love affair with coal miner's to be very interesting. First, let us get the proportions. There are more people who work for Arby's than work in the coal industry. 

Prior to unions the coal industry paid pitiful wages and had dangerous working conditions.  Who can forget the "company store"  where you bought all your groceries and supplies at prices marked up to match any wage gains? 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Richva:  Prior to unions the coal industry paid pitiful wages and had dangerous working conditions.  Who can forget the "company store"  where you bought all your groceries and supplies at prices marked up to match any wage gains? 

Very true. There was a time when miners were paid with "scrip" which was simply a form of credit that could only be spent at the company store. By the time a miner's rent, groceries, and various needs such as medical were deducted from his pay there was little if anything left to last until the next payday and the vicious cycle of getting what they needed to live on company credit meant that they were working to pay off debts they could never get out of. It wasn't until around 1950 that the practice of paying with scrip instead of real money was ended.

http://www.coincollectorguide.com/scrip-coal-company-tokens/

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

The irony of jobs mining coal

Message 10 of 10

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs