Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Trumpcare zombie

Message 11 of 34

@GailL1 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

I have a good insurance plan, but i am spending my retirement savings to have it.

Maybe it will be cheaper if you don't have to pay for stuff you will never use in your insurance policy.

I doubt that you need birth control or pregnancy and delivery. 

At first, I thought the same thing. Why not let the young people buy this coverage if they want it instead of making it mandatory. Then it occurred to me that older folks, or as we get older, we will naturally have more heath issues than these young folks. When they introduced Trumpcare 1.0, the study found that premiums would go up for most seniors, and we started to call and write our Congress reps to complain.  It's a trade off, don't you think? 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 34

In Canada, monies are distributed to the provinces and territories on a per capita basis - they all have to work within a budget.

Canada Heath Act guarantees comprehensive, portable, universal, and accessible health care to all Canadians.

Block granting to the states in the US doesn't guarantee any of those things.

The two aren't comparable at all,

So stop comparing them.

Yes the source is months out of date, Congress won't score the current hatchet job to US health care, with good reason.

The bill cuts 215 billion dollars out of Medicaid, by 2020 we do know that.

So lets noddle.

The cost to insure a child is about $ 4000 a year? $ 215 billion  / $ 4000 = about 54 million children 

The cost to insure a working age person is about $ 7000 a year? $ 215 billion / $ 7000 = about 31 million working age people.

I doubt all the cuts will be applied to children or working age people, so the number will probably be somewhere between 54 and 31 million people who lose insurance.

54 + 31 / 2 = 42.5 million people if I noddle it that way, but I suspect children will get priority and the cuts will fall mostly on working age people.

So 35 million losing insurance is probably close, when I just consider Medicaid. 

But there is more .......... doing away with protections against pre existing conditions, removing protections against insurance companies pricing people out of markets.

It all adds up, it's all going to leave a mark.

Then the no new funds after 2026.

It's going to get ugly. Well it already is, but it's going to get uglier 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 34

@GailL1 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

I have a good insurance plan, but i am spending my retirement savings to have it.

Maybe it will be cheaper if you don't have to pay for stuff you will never use in your insurance policy.

You know all the cutting back on pain meds is because so many people abused them and government does not know how to stop the epidemic any other way than to deny or make you jump through hoops.  I think the terminally ill still have their access via Hospice.

Really???  That is your response to Mlseker? Does the word empathy mean anything to you at all?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 34

@GailL1 wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

My understanding is that the block grants are only to cover Medicaid. It doesn't shore up other areas being repealed.

No, it really puts everything pretty much in the hands of the state's to design their own system of coverage.   The bill would keep most of Obamacare’s revenues, save for the mandate tax penalties and medical-device taxes.  The legislation would take funds currently allocated to premium tax-credits, subsidies, basic health plans, and the ACA’s Medicaid expansion and convert some of those funds to a large pot of money from which states could apply for grants, for which they would have to pay some of their own funds to match.

Letting the states do what they wanted individually within the ACA is one reason why it didn't work even better than it did. Almost all RED states refused to expand Medicaid and set up an exchange. They did their best in trying to make it fail. Hard telling how much better it would be if they tried to help make it work by expanding Medicaid and setting up exchanges.

Allowing states to be different in association with Medicare is another example. Medicare advantage plans vary state to state from worthless to absolutely great. Arizona has an Advantage plan that is free and covers prescriptions, it is a Cadillac plan. Kentucky has plans totally different with higher co-pays plus you pay for it. Some states are terrible, some are a bit better, some are excellent.

Health care needs standardized across our nation, giving people the same quality health care no matter what state they were born in or live in.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 34

@GailL1 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

You know all the cutting back on pain meds is because so many people abused them and government does not know how to stop the epidemic any other way than to deny or make you jump through hoops.  I think the terminally ill still have their access via Hospice.

If you can do that then the policy must have a pre Ex in it. The cheapest insurance is when everything is covered, and yes there will be some things we will never use. Insurance is nothing but a group of people (In this case all the people) buying a health policy in case we ever have a medical problem. The Insurance Co bets you will not use it much, and you bet that you will. If you do not use it the Insurance Co wins (profit), if you use it you win Insurance Co. loss). If one does not understand that they do not understand insurance. The new Reb. bill is worse than the other 2 and if it is passed all will find out. That is why the experts in the field are against it. The only ones for it want a political win not a win for people needing health care. One last thing. They take the savings from Medicaid and apply them to tax cuts for the rich. They need that money for that since Medicaid was around long before the ACH.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 34

@MIseker wrote:

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 34
The Kochs are buying Republican votes to kill Obamacare.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/kochs-reserve-fund-health-care/index.html

If you dont like CNN, google it. there are tons of sources.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 34
I am in severe chronic pain and have been for 11 years. I have a degenerative condition that will only get worse. The govt, in its wisdom has taken millions of people like me off pain meds that gave us a more active life. Now they want to cut medical care too. I belong to a couple pain groups on the web, and its heartbreaking how many of these people are underinsured. No meds until you get an MRI says the doc, and they have no way to pay for that mri. so, they while away their life sitting in a chair, most while they are still young enough to WORK AND PAY TAXES if they had healthcare. I just do not get it.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 34

afisher -  The lives of millions of people are at risk - Republicans ignore reality and say that it is all POLITICAL and people don't matter a tinker's darn.

Their reality is "all POLITICAL".  It truly is land of the zombies.  What next - we get to wipe rocket man and millions of other humans off the face of the earth?  And because "people don't matter a tinker's darn", that is not a problem.  Nor are the tax breaks for only the few, political deserving.  A promise is a promise.  Zombies need simplicity.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 34

From Grassley:    

The lives of millions of people are at risk - Republicans ignore reality and say that it is all POLITICAL and people don't matter a tinker's darn.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views