Honored Social Butterfly

The Silent Majority...

Study suggests 2020 polls may be missing 'shy' Trump voters  

Republican and Independent voters are more reluctant than Democrats to reveal their preference for president, study found

BY:  Julia Musto

Republican and independent voters are twice as likely to not reveal their true preference for president in a telephone poll, a study found.

CloudResearch, an online market research and data collection company, found that 11.7% of Republicans and 10.5% of independents said they wouldn't share their true opinion, while only 5.4% of Democrats said the same.

"That raises the possibility that polls understate support for President Donald Trump," Bloomberg reported Friday.

TRUMP OUTPERFORMING HIS 2016 CAMPAIGN IN KEY BATTLEGROUND STATES, EVEN AS HE TRAILS BIDEN

According to CloudResearch, some survey responders said they thought it would be "dangerous" to express an opinion outside the "current liberal viewpoint."

While the survey was conducted online, inquiries about the results were made via phone interviews.

Participants were asked for their political preference for president, how they felt about sharing that preference in a phone poll, and later whom they actually supported for the office.

CloudResearch explained to Bloomberg that political party affiliation was the sole characteristic that correlated consistently with reluctance to divulge true presidential preference. There were reportedly no correlations with age, race, education or income.

The research group used two different samples to draw its conclusions. In one control group, 1,000 respondents were evenly divided among Democrats, Republicans and independents. The other included a different set of 1,000 people selected to match the demographics of likely voters, regardless of party.

The findings once again highlight whether "shy" Trump voters were undercounted in polling data prior to the 2016 election, which his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton had been projected to win.

An exhaustive post-mortem published by the American Association for Public Opinion Research found that some Americans who voted for the president did not show their support for him until after the election and that they outnumbered late-revealing Clinton voters.

The association also explained that while those who admit changing their minds normally break evenly between the Republican and Democratic candidates, people who did so in 2016 voted for Trump by a 16 percentage point margin.

Nevertheless, evidence of a "shy" Trump effect remains inconclusive, and there were limitations to the study.

The public research group theorized that if voters did not want to tell a live interviewer they supported Trump, the president would do worse in live-interview polls than in automated polls -- but he did not.

CloudResearch Co-Chief Executive Officer and Chief Research Officer Leib Litman told Bloomberg that many people were just as distrustful of live calls as automatic calls because the response would be recorded.

National polls ahead of November have shown Democrat Joe Biden leading Trump in many key swing states, but in recent weeks the president has gained some ground.

According to recent Real Clear Politics averages, Trump is largely outperforming his 2016 benchmarks in some of the states most important to an Electoral College victory with a little more than two months to go until Election Day.

VIMTSTL
Regular Social Butterfly

I'm sure this is true! My gosh look at how anybody that says they're a Trump supporter is treated. I for one don't care, but I do know there are a lot of people that do.

I was impressed and happy to see, after the Republican convention the other night, the amount of callers that were calling in on C-Span saying that they were long time Democrats but they were switching to Trump and they each had different and many reasons. The lack of leadership against the riots was one given, and the hatred spewed they said over the last 3 + years by so many Democrats and their supporters was another.

TRUMP 2020!!!

TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! To Save This Country From The Insanity of The Dems!
Honored Social Butterfly

The demoncrats and their hate cult have been found out, for who and what they are. They create mayhem and chaos and then try and come to the rescue.

They are political arsonists who then come running with a bucket of water. 

Pathetic and disgusting. 

Their supporters have swallowed the poison of hate hoping others will suffer. It doesn't work that way. 

4 more years

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly

America or TRump 2020.
That is our choice.

Biden/Harris
Honored Social Butterfly

Notice how "under God" is removed by demoncrats. That should be all you need to know that hate has found it's home. 

4 more years

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777    Your post, have you seen Lucifer? it seems that he has dropped into the US and now the pledge of allegiance  has changed?

goodlol.jpg

no name
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Roxanna35 wrote:

@Fishslayer777    Your post, have you seen Lucifer? it seems that he has dropped into the US and now the pledge of allegiance  has changed?

goodlol.jpg

sunluvngal @Roxanna35 

I don't really understand your post.  But i just wanted to say that under the owebama - biden reign, God, Merry Christmas and others were being gradually removed.  We were "encouraged" to say happy holidays instead of the centuries old Merry Christmas. (i never stopped saying Merry Christmas!)  The Pledge of Allegiance was being taken out of our schools, the word God was talked about being removed in our currency and so much that that admin didn't like about our country...it's been awhile since insanity ruled...so i, honestly, do not remember ALL of the details.  But what i do remember, i didn't/don't like, and i don't want it back in our country!

THAT is just one of the reasons i will vote for the person that LOVES this country and isn't interested in changing everything we hold dear...TRUMP 2020!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

Hate you refer to comes out of the mouth of Trump. NO MORE YEARS!!!''

Biden/Harris

Hello everyone,

Please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults and inflammatory comments.

You are free to express your opinions, but you must do so in a way that respects the opinions of others.

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Regular Social Butterfly

Tom5678 wrote:
America or TRump 2020.
That is our choice.

Biden/Harris

THIS is what biden - harris represents:

only in America AWESOME on progressivism July 2020.jpg

kamalas agenda Aug 2020.jpg

AND THIS IS WHAT TRUMP - PENCE represents:

Trump is Pro.jpg Aug 2020.jpgLiberal vs Conservative  GREAT JAN 2019.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

This thread would be valid if we returned to 2016, but today, it's a very different scenario than it was four years ago. In 2016:

• Trump was still an unknown to many
  • Hillary was hated by millions of voters
  • Trump world was outraged over the thought of having a black president for 8 years.

But today, things have changed

• This election is a referendum on 4 years of Trump, he's no longer an unknown.
  • People know that Trump is a thug, a pathological liar, a man who insults others 7 days a week, he surrounds himself with convicted felons, nobody is allowed to disagree with him, and he has no respect for the FBI or the rule of law. And that's just part of his problem.
  • Unlike Hillary, Joe Biden is liked and respected by millions of decent Americans
  • After watching Trump destroy the values of the Republican Party, many loyal, real Republicans are mounting a campaign to defeat Trump and support Joe Biden. One big example is the Lincoln Project.
  • Many of the polling companies learned a lesson from their 2016 mistakes
Honored Social Butterfly

We are a peaceful lot. We respect laws and the rights of people to have differing views. We are the one who send our sons and daughter to defend the rights of EVERY American.

However, we are done playing nice. Jesus said we are to turn the other check, after that ... we have not received any further instructions. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Fishslayer:    We are a peaceful lot. We respect laws and the rights of people to have differing views. We are the one who send our sons and daughter to defend the rights of EVERY American.

The Onion is history, and now parody and irony are on life support.🤣 🤣 🤣

Honored Social Butterfly

Life support is what the dems and Joe the sniffer need at this point.

The truth is for all to see and there are none so blind who will not see. The choice is clear for Americans... more riots, chaos, demands, destruction, and eventually lawlessness by the demoncrats ...  or continue as one nation under God, the promise of justice and the law, and the never ending goal of continued greatness, while creating a more perfect union!

4 more years. President Trump... the clear choice for America!

Honored Social Butterfly

Much of the chaos in the country in my opinion comes from the lack of both law and order which eminates from the White House. Trump believe laws and order are for everyone else NOT HIM! People are out of work because of the Trump covid economy, they are fearful because of the TRump failure to handle the pandemic from the get go, and they are restless, and oh by the way Cops are still killing blacks. America is crying out for leadership, NOT dictatorship!

America or TRump

Biden/Harris!!! 2020
Social Butterfly

American voter support is what Trump needs, and clearly does not have.

So, he is going to attack the process, and already has with the Post Office and his minions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png