Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Republican tax-reform plan isn’t reform at all

Message 1 of 19

@john258

@Centristsin2010

@ChasKy53

@lk152

@CriticalThinking

With trump lying his rear off, the so called repubs acting like the flying monkeys controlled by the wicked witch (trump’s base)...what can go wrong? To me the true republicans are the conservatives who are splitting with the party. The freedom caucus repubs are just idiots, with no good intent. The rest of the repubs are fake repubs who sold out and lost their moral code. 

With the economy on pretty steady ground, low unemploy, strong stock market, steady GDP, corporations have lots of money...what are they trying to fix? Other than pay off an

IOU to donors. Want to create a deficit to make cuts to entitlements. 

But by pumping more into the current economy will they perhaps cause more damage than good?

And this has all been rushed (satisfy trump?). It would be good to have samples for different scenarios of people’s tax returns. And with the way they have been trying sell the cuts, I feel like we are suppose to feel bad because the poor billionaires need more. I did approximate a couple items which would be at opposite ends, but pretty telling: for a family of 4 making 75,000 per year, they might get a tax break of 1,700 for the year 

That figures out to 32.70 per week and might pay for a trip for the family to McDonalds. 

Now for a family (of unknown size) making a 1,000,000,000 oer year, would get approx a 10,000,000 tax break, which figures to 192,307 per

week, which for a family 4 would mean 5,880 trips to McDs! Anyone want guess the weight of each family member at the end of the week!?

Don’t begrudge people making that amount, just don’t feel sorry for them. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19

You can get a good run down on who gets the real breaks in this bill if you watch TV like Bloomberg, CNBC as they give the business views. They like the tax bill so it tells you who makes out. I saw one analysis which showed the all the tax cuts on the people side are paid for. On the business side none of the tax cuts are paid for and that is the deficit. So on the people side they move money around from lower, middle to rich, and they expire the cuts on the people side, but not on the business side. Now who pays for the Corp. side. The people side mainly middle class. How? Well pay go is still in so that means cuts to programs such as Medi Care, Medicaid, and every other program which helps poor to middle starting as soon as next year since the deficit will start to kick in.

How do we end this right wing takeover? Vote out everyone with an R after their name. Throw them all out of office until the Reb. party throws out the far right and returns to the center.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19

What is sad to me is that if the Dems get back the White House in 2020, and get a majority in the Senate and the House, they more than likely will not increase taxes back up on the wealthy. After all, they didn't try to raise rates on the wealthiest when they had the House and Senate during the first two years of Obama's presidency. I hate saying it, but that's what I tend to think, I hope I am wrong. We need this tax plan to fail or we may be stuck with it for a long time and that means they will go after entitlements.

Cal your Congressional Representatives and Senators

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19

Well stated, @lk152  I appreciate your optimism. IMO, all America needs to do to right the ship is get out the VOTE.  When turnout is high, Conservative extremists rarely do well.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

This isn't "tax reform" at all. It is just a gift wrapped Christmas present to Republican donors as payback for their support in the 2016 election. It was bought and paid for by the Koch Brothers, Sheldon Adleson, the Mercer and Walton families as well as other wealthy Republican donors. In fact the Koch Brothers threatened to turn off the money spigot unless congress passed some tax bill by the end of the year. 

But any bill that is rammed through on a one party basis is often easily undone as soon as that political party is out of the majority. Mark my words, as soon as there is a Democratic congress and Democratic president, this tax "reform" bill will be completely rewritten. As long as the congress is in session and the government is open, nothing is ever "permanent" unless it becomes enshrined as an amendment to the constitution, and even a constitutional amendment can be repealed. Just read the 21st amendment. 

This tax "reform" scam is very unpopular with the voters. According to most credible polls, anywhere from 23% to 38% of the voters approve of this bill with all credible polls showing more than 60% of voters disapproving of this bill. No doubt once voters really learn how this bill balloons the deficit and cuts in Medicare and social security are discussed to pay for the cost of this bill, disapproval will be greater.

It was a plank in the Republican party platform in 2016 that called for raising the eligibility age for Medicare from 65 to 67. Actuarial studies on the effect of this showed that there would be no savings to Medicare from this action because it would lop off the youngest and healthiest people from the Medicare risk pool. It would also force more people to delay retirement and cause employer group health insurance as well as the ACA individual exchanges to increase their premiums because of an older age group now included in their respective risk pools. Of course this will be very unpopular with a lot of voters as well. Expect this to be discussed in congress after the new year. It has been on Paul Ryan's agenda for years. 

Of course Republicans may pay dearly for this tax scam. Democrats and their voters are more energized than ever about the next election. I saw this last week at a local Democratic club Christmas party. Normally these affairs are a lot of glad handing by some elected officials and local party members enjoying the holiday. But this one was filled with petitions as well as letters to representatives and several newcomers circulating petitions for office. The 2018 get out the vote campaign has begun at the local level. As one old Ohio politician said long ago; "when Democrats turn out and vote, they usually win and sometimes win big". 

As a sideline to all this; I read a piece a few days ago saying that Paul Ryan is strongly considering stepping down after 2018 to spend more time with his family in Wisconsin. He was first elected to congress in 1998 as a young man on a mission. I guess that after 20 years in congress and the last three of them as House Speaker, he is tired of it all. 

But at the same time, I also read a piece that a Democratic opponent in Paul Ryan's district is polling within striking distance of unseating him in the 2018 election. No doubt, with some money and support as well as this very unpopular tax bill, this man may very well represent the first district of Wisconsin in the next congress. 

I believe that a lot of Republicans will be sent home after the 2018 mid term elections because of this tax scam. Forget about Donald Trump in the 2018 mid term elections; he will be as toxic as dioxin next year and I still stand on my prediction that he won't be President by next November. It may even be Republicans throwing him under the bus to save their skins in the mid term elections. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

The Republican tax-reform plan isn’t reform at all

Message 6 of 19

From CNBC, It's being billed as a $1.5 trillion package (added to the deficit). But when you add it all up, the changes in the proposed tax overhaul bill set for a vote this week in Congress would create more than $5 trillion worth of tax winners and losers.

Most of the original plan, months in the making but unveiled just weeks ago, apparently survived intact

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

I agree.  I got on this site to find out what aarp was doing about the elimination of 2 exemtionss for seniors.  My taxes will go up as far as I can tell.  Why the silence?  something fishy here. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19
Just read one of my quarterly reports. yes indeed...stock increases based on proposed tax cuts. my guess is the cuts will crash the economy again, so the ubers can pull wealth from the poor AGAIN. Im keeping a close eye on it.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

I agree with what you've said so far.

What I don't see, and even AARP is not publicizing, it how they plan to increase the standard deduction, BUT they want to eliminate the personal exemption. Seniors age 65 and over get 2 personal exemptions, and we'd lose both of them from what I can see.

I've expected AARP to go after the Republicans for that proposal, which would hurt every senior who has income in excess of the standard deduction amount. But it's been very quiet around here about that. AARP, where are you when we need you?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19

Cent and CT--Shh, don't tell the trump rangers that trump lied to them and let them down again.  They have trouble with reality, you know.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors