Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The REINTRODUCED Affordable Housing Plan From Elizabeth Warren, 2020 Democratic Presidential Hop

Message 41 of 52

@Richva wrote:

America keeps trying to sell itself as the land of opportunity. The statistics are showing that we are not. The middle and lower income levels cannot afford housing, medical care, retirement, day care, and food. If anyone thinks this is a temporary problem and all we need to is build a wall to keep the brown immigrants from taking the "good" jobs needs to rethink things. 

I know many middle class folks that do it - but I consider $ 100,000+ middle class

Don't they have to do it in places like California where the price of everything is higher?

Who is buying or leasing those over $ 50K cars?

Who pays the insurance on them?

Who buys those $1K phones?

Who buys all those pricey teck-gadgets?

Affordable is a relative term.  What is affordable to one, isn't to another.

Don't think this has anything to do with color or nationality - more like the pocketbook.

Maybe it is more of a problem in those states where the cost of living is so very high.

Maybe it is more of a problem depending of WHERE people want that affordable housing. 

I understand that Amazon HQ did a number on the affordability scale in Seattle. 

If you live someplace close to where you work - that saves transportation cost but that savings is probably spent on housing.

Real Estate is an appreciable asset - until that changes, affordability has to be planned for the long term because it will go up.  So we are just putting on a bandaid with the Warren-type plan.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The REINTRODUCED Affordable Housing Plan From Elizabeth Warren, 2020 Democratic Presidential Hop

Message 42 of 52

Driving something like this at the local level will create death by detail.  Put the plan in place, give the people the money. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 52

@oceanedge2 wrote:

GailL1 - Didn't like it before - don't like it now....

How in your opinion can "affordable housing" be created for those that need it?

What is your own opinion for that question?

Also I don't know anyone who does not need, want or plan for achieving the goal to live in "affordable housing".  Do you?

It should be done (planned) at the very local level with a zoning plan - that is where the density has to be defined.

Of course everbody, all income levels,  want affordable housing - but they may not have a choice of where it is.  People moved to the suburbs to find affordible housing - they keep moving further out to find it still.

The tax base as I said is another thing that affects communities - they want bigger and better to get that tax money.  Or they want the price of the old and worn out to escalate with the same goal.

Say, a dwelling starts off "affordable" - it isn't gonna stay that way no matter what legislation is signed unless it actually stops inflation, profitablilty, repairs, maintenance, people wanting more and more - EVERYTHING affects real estate market values - how ya gonna stop that - you can't that is based on the free market.

An acquaintance of mine wanted me to look over a home purchase she was considering making.

Well, not exactly a home purchase as I expained to her - it is called a "Contract for a Deed".  For a renter that wants to keep their monthly payment the same, year end and year out - it is not a bad deal.  But on the other side of the equation, they have upkeep and maintenance and they pay the property taxes.  But her monthly amount stays the same - a trade off between the seller and the buyer (renter).

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 52

Senator Warren is proposing something like the "GI Bill" for lower income Americans to reverse the drive to unaffordable single family homes that was pushed by the Republicans deregulating the lending industry and accelerated by the jrbush housing debacle that drove 8 million Americans out of their homes and into overpriced rentals.

Gail is supporting a continuation of predatory lending and shifting more Americans into rentals so they will never accumulate anything that will help their kids advance their fortunes, insuring another generation that will NOT go as far as their parents got.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 52

@oceanedge2 

Better at the state level than federal.

Even better at the local level - (In my area, that is where the school lines are drawn - so that can also be considered)

So what happens if some of those proposed legislations counter existing zoning or even building rules in exisiting HOA communities?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 52

@rker321 wrote:

@oceanedge2 wrote:

Also I don't know anyone who does not need, want or plan for achieving the goal to live in "affordable housing".  Do you?

Didn't the goverment already did that after WWII? and all of those miliatary houses that were bruilt for the soldiers that were coming home? 

They were private homes built with low interest loans from the GI bill.  Same with free education for the former GIs and America prospered. It would not work with only veterans as we have too few but we should look to those programs as templates for housing and educating our citizens. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 52

@oceanedge2 wrote:

Didn't the goverment already did that after WWII? and all of those miliatary houses that were bruilt for the soldiers that were coming home? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 52

Gail's starts her argument talking about Single Family Homes in America which most Working Middle Class Americans & Almost all Seniors living on a Fixed Income are priced right out of because of course Homes are all about Investment & making money in her World especially in the "Nicer Neighborhoods" & then supports it all in the end by showing us pictures of Apartments in Shanghai & Hong Kong

What is Ben Carson's proposal for affordable housing for Americans?

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 52

America keeps trying to sell itself as the land of opportunity. The statistics are showing that we are not. The middle and lower income levels cannot afford housing, medical care, retirement, day care, and food. If anyone thinks this is a temporary problem and all we need to is build a wall to keep the brown immigrants from taking the "good" jobs needs to rethink things. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 52

Kudos
Views