Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The REINTRODUCED Affordable Housing Plan From Elizabeth Warren, 2020 Democratic Presidential Hop

Message 31 of 52

rk9152:   The returning GIs were rewarded for their service and sacrifice for out nation - that was their way of qualifying. Now the concept seems to be qualifying by being a loser.

So tell us all why the Republican plan is better than this one. Go for it rk. Smiley Happy

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The REINTRODUCED Affordable Housing Plan From Elizabeth Warren, 2020 Democratic Presidential Hop

Message 32 of 52

@mickstuder 

As I have said before in this thread - the "Affodability" of housing, whether a single family home, condo or apartment, is more directly controlled at the local level where planning, development and zoning take place.  The same locality is also in charge of the property tax assesments and rate. 

So there is no need for a national plan because the priority place of handling these matters is at the local level.

Many of those things in Warren's plan involve trying to control what can and cannot be done at the local level - where the federal government has little say.

I fail to see how some of those other things which she suggest in the plan are going to control "affordability".  I fail to see how some of those other things which she suggest in the plan are going to open up new housing opportunities - the qualifications for getting a mortgage loan isn't changing.  Many states already have some down payment assistance programs for 1st time homeowners.  However, these pittances do nothing to get one out of paying PMI or the like; a lower credit score still means you pay a higher rate.

You know, we use to have residential roads that weren't paved - that would save money and tax assessment values.

As I said before, a dwelling that is close to some undesireable location is much cheaper all the way around than if it was located elsewhere.  In fact, the property value probably wouldn't escalate either - whether renting or buying.

What would you like to have, mickstuder?   Rent or Buy -  What do you want the Federal government to do for you as far as affordable housing?  And then how are ya gonna keep it that way - affordable.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 52

@GailL1 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

Gail's starts her argument talking about Single Family Homes in America which most Working Middle Class Americans & Almost all Seniors living on a Fixed Income are priced right out of because of course Homes are all about Investment & making money in her World especially in the "Nicer Neighborhoods" & then supports it all in the end by showing us pictures of Apartments in Shanghai & Hong Kong

What is Ben Carson's proposal for affordable housing for Americans?

HUD only oversees programs - mostly the house-buying programs and the subsidized rents and actual public housing grants.  All real estate prices, all kinds including land cost and rentals, are based on local markets.  I don't think the federal government should have any control over affordability - leave that to the locals in their planning and development and zoning.

I can find a dirt (no pun intended) cheap house or apartment if you don't mind living close to a dump or even a recycling center or further out in the boonies. 

Seniors have had years and years of planning - if they own, they may have options.

For seniors who rent - there is always the roommate idea or one of those "Contract for a Deed" deals if they can manage to pay the upkeep and taxes.

Why do you think those complexes and tiny houses and apartments came into being in Japan and Shanghai, and certain area in the US etc. - Affordable housing in very congested areas.  Is that what you want.

Real Estate cost start with the cost of the land - going up is cheaper than going out - building tiny is cheaper than building bigger. 

Get some of those big mega churches or other non-profits (Hello, AARP) to get a HUD loan and build more senior/disabled housing - that is what they did here back in the 70s/80s.  Those complexes are still up and running - everytime they need a remodel or large repair - as long as they meet the HUD qualifications for how many residents of each income strata, they just get a new subsidized HUD loan.  Course, now there is a long waiting list for Sect. 8 - maybe less of a wait for the subsidized program and if you can pay the market rent - you just have to wait for a spot in this bracket.  This is a whole lot better than public housing for seniors, just not enought of them.

These have to be non-profit cause private developers, contractors, investors make no money off of these programs the way they are set up.

Gee, I am sorry, mick, but yes, real estate is an appreciable asset.  In fact, the fastest way out of poverty is to have real estate that has escalated in price,  Just ask many seniors who's whole net worth and saving was tied up in real estate.  The sell of it, was their retirement.

Here's the thing Gail

Once Again You Start Out by Trying to Slam a Progressive Plan

Have You Considered the Irony?

You get to do this - because a Progressive Running for President - Has Actually Published a Plan for all to see

I ask you about Ben Carson & his Plan - He ran for President - He is Trumps Cabinet Level HUD Director - you immediately head for - Dodge City

Ok - Tell us about Trumps Plan - he ran for President like Warren & he won

So where is his Afforable Housing Campaign Plan & How is the implementation going after 2 years with a Majority Republican Controlled US Congress?

You gave us - "Priorities" - your own Personal Priorities - mostly monetary and you gave us the Cities & Towns Priorities - again mostly monetary and you define yourself as concerned about & representing those issues in the Progressives Plan that might - "drastically affect the lives of the more moderates among us"

You also told us - "I picked my home (actually built it) based on where it was located - keeping in mind the potential growth of the area (my priority was none), the minimum lot size (watershed area), the size of homes in the immediate vicinity (estate size subdivision), distance from major road thorough-fare (for noise reduction), amount of traffic (to go hither and yon), amount of tree buffer (I like woods). Of course, the price of the land and the tax rate of the locality."

Again the Irony of speaking about - Affordable Housing - in the same context with the Luxury of all the Choices Moderates have to make when selecting their Investment Housing

I speak for the Middle Class Working Poor and Seniors without all these Luxurious & Monetary Contemplations

Not once in my productive life - my work to survive life - that started when I was thrown out of the house at 15 & had to get a job to survive and has never stopped - did I ever have the Luxury of the Priorities of Shelter that you describe

It's always been - who do we know that we can - Beg Borrow or Steal from for a Deposit on a Rental or a Down Payment on a Home?

Warren appears to be speaking to Government Policy & Programs and the Spending of US Tax Payers Dollars to benefit people like me

The needs of folks like you were recently taken care of by the US Government with the Massive Multi-Trillion $$ Trump/GOP Tax Cut directed almost entirely to the benefit for the Investment Class & as is usually the case always taken care of by the US Government First by the US Tax Code - will it ever be enough?

Again - Could you compare Trumps Affordable Housing Plan to Warrens - it seems his Housing Plan Priorities have more to do with Chain Link & Barbed Wire Fencing then Affordable Housing for those who can't afford to Pick Out Their Ideal Spot To Build

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 52

@oceanedge2 

This is interesting -

VOX 01/23/2019 - Microsoft’s $500 million plan to fix Seattle’s housing problem, explained

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 52

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Senator Warren is proposing something like the "GI Bill" for lower income Americans...

GIs qualified by their service. How do people qualify under Warren's "something like" scheme?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 52

@Richva wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@oceanedge2 wrote:

GailL1 - Didn't like it before - don't like it now....

How in your opinion can "affordable housing" be created for those that need it?

What is your own opinion for that question?

Also I don't know anyone who does not need, want or plan for achieving the goal to live in "affordable housing".  Do you?

Didn't the goverment already did that after WWII? and all of those miliatary houses that were bruilt for the soldiers that were coming home? 

They were private homes built with low interest loans from the GI bill.  Same with free education for the former GIs and America prospered. It would not work with only veterans as we have too few but we should look to those programs as templates for housing and educating our citizens. 

The returning GIs were rewarded for their service and sacrifice for out nation - that was their way of qualifying. Now the concept seems to be qualifying by being a loser.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 52

Ocean Flower posted this...

Housing Bill Tracker for 2019 Washington Legislative Session

Legislative agenda provides a chance at more homes, more funding for affordable homes, and more tenant protections.

https://www.sightline.org/2019/02/12/housing-bill-tracker-for-2019-washington-legislative-session/

Housing Bill Tracker for 2019 Washington Legislative Session

Legislative agenda provides a chance at more homes, more funding for affordable homes, and more tenant protections.

------------------------------------------------------

Part of the link...

Permit corner duplexes or accessory dwelling in all single-family zones
Cap parking quotas at one space per two dwellings in multifamily zones within one half-mile of fixed-guideway transit
Carry out a local plan for growth known under state law as a “planned action”
Adopt all allowed exemptions from state environmental review of residential construction

And on and on...its a typical "dream" bill that does not make sense .

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 52

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Senator Warren is proposing something like the "GI Bill" for lower income Americans to reverse the drive to unaffordable single family homes that was pushed by the Republicans deregulating the lending industry and accelerated by the jrbush housing debacle that drove 8 million Americans out of their homes and into overpriced rentals.

Gail is supporting a continuation of predatory lending and shifting more Americans into rentals so they will never accumulate anything that will help their kids advance their fortunes, insuring another generation that will NOT go as far as their parents got.

No, that is not what she is supporting - read the link.

The "GI Bill" is a subsidized program - it only gives if there is a default - it is a government back program.  We already have that in FHA / USDA housing loans - somewhat with Fannie and Freddie.

The affordability of (private) homes has nothing to do with the government or any type of mortgage loan - the price of real estate is market based - based on the area where it is, recent sales, what someone will buy it for, amenities, house size and the type of finishings.

Same thing for rentals - an apartment of the same exact design and size can be priced very differently depending upon the desirability of an area or not.

Some people only want to rent - some people can only afford to rent - A Contract for a Deed is a blend between renting and owning.  There is NO mortgage or bank - the owners of the property do their own financing.  A deal between two people - seller (landlord) and buyer (renter).  What do you see wrong with it?  I would really like to know.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 52

@mickstuder wrote:

Gail's starts her argument talking about Single Family Homes in America which most Working Middle Class Americans & Almost all Seniors living on a Fixed Income are priced right out of because of course Homes are all about Investment & making money in her World especially in the "Nicer Neighborhoods" & then supports it all in the end by showing us pictures of Apartments in Shanghai & Hong Kong

What is Ben Carson's proposal for affordable housing for Americans?

HUD only oversees programs - mostly the house-buying programs and the subsidized rents and actual public housing grants.  All real estate prices, all kinds including land cost and rentals, are based on local markets.  I don't think the federal government should have any control over affordability - leave that to the locals in their planning and development and zoning.

I can find a dirt (no pun intended) cheap house or apartment if you don't mind living close to a dump or even a recycling center or further out in the boonies. 

Seniors have had years and years of planning - if they own, they may have options.

For seniors who rent - there is always the roommate idea or one of those "Contract for a Deed" deals if they can manage to pay the upkeep and taxes.

Why do you think those complexes and tiny houses and apartments came into being in Japan and Shanghai, and certain area in the US etc. - Affordable housing in very congested areas.  Is that what you want.

Real Estate cost start with the cost of the land - going up is cheaper than going out - building tiny is cheaper than building bigger. 

Get some of those big mega churches or other non-profits (Hello, AARP) to get a HUD loan and build more senior/disabled housing - that is what they did here back in the 70s/80s.  Those complexes are still up and running - everytime they need a remodel or large repair - as long as they meet the HUD qualifications for how many residents of each income strata, they just get a new subsidized HUD loan.  Course, now there is a long waiting list for Sect. 8 - maybe less of a wait for the subsidized program and if you can pay the market rent - you just have to wait for a spot in this bracket.  This is a whole lot better than public housing for seniors, just not enought of them.

These have to be non-profit cause private developers, contractors, investors make no money off of these programs the way they are set up.

Gee, I am sorry, mick, but yes, real estate is an appreciable asset.  In fact, the fastest way out of poverty is to have real estate that has escalated in price,  Just ask many seniors who's whole net worth and saving was tied up in real estate.  The sell of it, was their retirement.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 52

@Richva wrote:

America keeps trying to sell itself as the land of opportunity. The statistics are showing that we are not. The middle and lower income levels cannot afford housing, medical care, retirement, day care, and food. If anyone thinks this is a temporary problem and all we need to is build a wall to keep the brown immigrants from taking the "good" jobs needs to rethink things. 

Hey Rich  are you speaking about those brown Indians  and Pakistanis, that come here on H1b visas and get the jobs  that corporations won't gibe to Americans.  LOL 

Kudos
Views